• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Its time for someone else to take care of Pro cycling

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The UCI constantly makes decisions without consultation or regard from all the parties involved. We end up with a toothless biopassport, manufacturers needing to retool for designs previously accepted, teams forced to race races they don't want to, races accepting teams they don't want and all for the good of the sport??

Can someone with boatloads of money run a rival protour please?

A

Anonymous

karlboss said:
The UCI constantly makes decisions without consultation or regard from all the parties involved. We end up with a toothless biopassport, manufacturers needing to retool for designs previously accepted, teams forced to race races they don't want to, races accepting teams they don't want and all for the good of the sport??

I think Patrice Clerc (when he was at ASO) was trying to break the UCI for some of the reasons you list above. Not sure how this sport goes forward with the UCI in control.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
*ahem* ... "could those who believe they could do a better job than the UCI, please report immediately to your National Federation, through due process and after going through a few numbing years participating productively in club level administration, junior development, possibly coaching and race event organization ... "

To those others out there, 'trying to make it happen' for the sport ... Thank you ... to those with the apparent experience, opinions and wisdom to 'make it all right again' ... please get involved - you CAN change things by participating.

Cycling - it's a work in progress - you're a fan ?? then please, at least support it, at all levels and at costs, or f888 off and play netball.

Rant ends.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Andy.G said:
*ahem* ... "could those who believe they could do a better job than the UCI, please report immediately to your National Federation, through due process and after going through a few numbing years participating productively in club level administration, junior development, possibly coaching and race event organization ... "

To those others out there, 'trying to make it happen' for the sport ... Thank you ... to those with the apparent experience, opinions and wisdom to 'make it all right again' ... please get involved - you CAN change things by participating.

Cycling - it's a work in progress - you're a fan ?? then please, at least support it, at all levels and at costs, or f888 off and play netball.

Rant ends.

This is precisely the problem. Cycling is a big business, run by amateurs.

McQuaid rose in the ranks through the Fed's. He got to where he is because he has positioned himself well politically, not because he is a skilled manager. This lack of intelligence is evident in the ridiculous fights he has picked, and lost, over the last 4 years.

We need someone who is more interested in advancing the sport.....instead of playing games.

What needs to happen is that the UCI needs to be more democratic. Right now it seems that there is a governing body of the UCI that is very separate from the teams and the riders and that's never a good thing.

In other sports there are strong player organisations like the NHLPA or ATP Players Council which makes the players more actively involved in the desocions of the organizing body.

There is some type of organization of professional cyclists too right? But the problem is that they don't have the same power.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:

I am a stern critic of the UCI when the need arises - which unfortunatley is often.

However - what is the viable alternative to the UCI?
If private interests were to be in charge of the sport they would be dictated solely by the bottom line.
The same charge could be said of the UCI - however private entities would have no interest in developing the sport - only promoting their own events and agendas.

Certainly the UCI needs reform in cerrtain areas and a clear agenda with agreement from all sides to move forward and grow the sport - however as much as I am critical of the UCI I have yet to hear of a worthy alternative.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
This is precisely the problem. Cycling is a big business, run by amateurs.

McQuaid rose in the ranks through the Fed's. He got to where he is because he has positioned himself well politically, not because he is a skilled manager. This lack of intelligence is evident in the ridiculous fights he has picked, and lost, over the last 4 years.

We need someone who is more interested in advancing the sport.....instead of playing games.

Not that I want to defend McQuaid, but I think the biggest, and most ridiculous fight McQuaid's been in - the one with the GT organizers - was started by Verbruggen.

As for the original question yes. I do think he needs to be replaced. We need someone with a "different" skill set. Hey, what's Patrice Clerc doing?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Not that I want to defend McQuaid, but I think the biggest, and most ridiculous fight McQuaid's been in - the one with the GT organizers - was started by Verbruggen.

As for the original question yes. I do think he needs to be replaced. We need someone with a "different" skill set. Hey, what's Patrice Clerc doing?

Correct, McQuaid is nothing more then a Verbruggen sockpuppet. Some of the team Directors have even said that they have received correspondence from McQuaid, but it has clearly been written by Verbruggen.

The fights have largely been caused by Verbruggen's lame attempt to be Bernie Ecclestone.

Patrice Clerc would be a great option.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
If UCI wouldn't be as corrupt as it is at the moment, we could see riders quarantined 30-60 minutes before the race starts during which time blood samples would be collected. I could support someone willing to do this.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Correct, McQuaid is nothing more then a Verbruggen sockpuppet. Some of the team Directors have even said that they have received correspondence from McQuaid, but it has clearly been written by Verbruggen.

The fights have largely been caused by Verbruggen's lame attempt to be Bernie Ecclestone.

Patrice Clerc would be a great option.

Well, he did run for re-election unopposed. Either everyone at the UCI loves what he's doing, or nobody else wants to be a sock puppet. Either way you cut it, it's bothersome.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Well, he did run for re-election unopposed. Either everyone at the UCI loves what he's doing, or nobody else wants to be a sock puppet. Either way you cut it, it's bothersome.

After watching what happen to Sylvia Schenk I am sure the most in the UCI see the futility of attempting to run against Verbuggen's boy.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Never fear, as all the teams turn American and move to American races on American soil, the bothersome Euro-trash cycle-pols will be eliminated as hardly any of them like LA...

...and who will, over time, turn into the Godfather of Amercian Cycle politics.

You are only seeing the front end of this now...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
"The most important thing is that they(GT organisers) recognise the UCI is the government of the sport of cycling worldwide, and its authority as such is indisputable." Pat McQuaid

Of course this is how we move forward "I'm right fall in line." Why couldn't we hear, "there are many stakeholders in cycling and we will work together with all of them to move forward"?

While I acknowledge I could become involved at a club level officiating and administrating, I think my club administrators and officials do a great job, they ask for input from members.

The UCI is terrible and the root cause of the majority of the problems in the sport. Race organizers should band together and form their own Governing Body of the sport (again). It was a sad day when the ASO lost the war.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
"The most important thing is that they(GT organisers) recognise the UCI is the government of the sport of cycling worldwide, and its authority as such is indisputable." Pat McQuaid

Boy, did he get that wrong. The ASO and RCS showed him who is actually in charge and how powerless McQuaid is.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
The UCI is terrible and the root cause of the majority of the problems in the sport. Race organizers should band together and form their own Governing Body of the sport (again). It was a sad day when the ASO lost the war.

Certainly the UCI is the cause of a lot of the problems the sport currently faces - and the quoted comments above in an earlier post don't help.

I think one of the big difficulties in the sport is that the Tour De France is so big and disproportional - everything else pales in to comparison.

If the Race organizers were in control I don't believe they would have any interest in smaller racers - like many of the season openers and smaller events that take place outside the traditional cycling countries.

Would ASO RCS or UniPublic be interested in investing in races like the Tour of Missouri, the Tour of Ireland or the Tour Down Under?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just read that the president of CONI accused McQuaid of not telling the truth.

Pat? Never! Why would he.:rolleyes:

I get the impression that the UCI could at least benefit from a smarter President.

TRENDING THREADS