• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2021, Spain, April 5 - April 10

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Yates is a little bit over his peak form. Still good enough for top 5, though.

Where did Higuita and Carapaz finally end?

Yates often fades in the third week of grand tours so maybe two one week races in three weeks is a little too much for him to keep his god tier one week race form, similar happened in 2019 when he was not as good at Itzulia as he had been at Volta/Tirreno.

Yates often fades in the third week of grand tours so maybe two one week races in three weeks is a little too much for him to keep his god tier one week race form, similar happened in 2019 when he was not as good at Itzulia as he had been at Volta/Tirreno.

If you look at the overall results in 2019, that is the conclusion you'll come to, but he won the last stage in the Basque Country and he lost time due to a puncture in the gravel roads, so could have easily won if it wasn't for that.

Reactions: Pinot's goat
Yes, we did. Every time Pogacar withdrew his efforts, riders from behind came back because Roglic wasn't willing to contribute.
Well of course he eased up a bit, but he was always taking turns when Pogačar moved from the front. You think it was an easy think to do to follow those Pogi's attacks? Pogacar wanted to get rid of Roglic, that's why he pushed as hard as he could. He couldn' drop Rogla, but both were on the limit. Also I get the feeling Roglic can't sustain a crazy pace for as long as Pogačar. A bit like MvdP vs WvA.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
please stop embarrassing our country here
Why is he embarrassing the country by expressing his view? He is embarrassing himself, if you think it's embarrassing what he has to say. But he might be onto something here. If one level is half a second, then 10 levels would be 5 seconds, which is exactly the gap Rogla and Pogi had on Valverde & Co. It's all maths.

A lot can happen in the meantime, i.e injuries, falls etc. I remember the forum hyping so much Contador vs Froome duel at the Tour'14 (it was called "Alien vs Predator" here) and look what happened.

It's tough to imagine that they can sustain this crazy level until July, and that others won't improve. There must be dips in form, the only question is the timing, to say the obvious.

And remember that the length of a stage race is a real factor for Roglic. And that Pog doesn't have a team for a 3-week GT (though some of them might win a stage or two). This latter fact should be more relevant this year than last, when he apparently wasn't considered to be a threat by Roglic.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes

TRENDING THREADS