• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't get how some randoms become cycling 'influencers'. 10 years ago I don't think this Benji Naesen character would have gained any traction whatsoever but now it's always his Tweets + some other usual profiles who seem to be 'trending' constantly. Is he even a real journalist?

No idea how the algorithm works & why some people become social media celebs out of nowhere (this is hardly exclusive to cycling of course).

Broadly speaking I dont really understand it either. In his case specifically, hes basically a cycling populist lol, always having the "obvious good guy" opinion (which despite that is quite often wrong or atleast debateable as those type of opinions often are, if theyre given deeper thought) and spewing as many of those into the twitter abyss as possible. I guess persistence pays of in that regard. Plus I do enjoy the postcast, but mostly if not exclusively for the other guy, who seems more levelheaded, less calculating, alot less pc and generally more knowledgeable imo Benji is getting carried hard. Good for him I suppose

Last edited:
Update on Jay Vine:

Dr. Adriano Rotunno (Medical Director): "Jay Vine suffered a heavy crash today during the race and sustained a cervical and two thoracic spine vertebral body fractures. Thankfully no neurological involvement, and there are no other major injuries or head trauma. Jay will stay in hospital for neurological observation. We await spinal orthopaedic assessment and further management."

I don't get how some randoms become cycling 'influencers'. 10 years ago I don't think this Benji Naesen character would have gained any traction whatsoever but now it's always his Tweets + some other usual profiles who seem to be 'trending' constantly. Is he even a real journalist?

No idea how the algorithm works & why some people become social media celebs out of nowhere (this is hardly exclusive to cycling of course).

I don't care who's fault it is. It's daft either way.

Imagine if Ayrton Senna's crash had received the same tv broadcast blackout? Everyone would have been clinging to various unsubstantiated rumors about his condition. In fact in his case, TF1 (French broadcaster) did initially say he was conscious & responding to the medical team about an hour later. But since everyone had seen the images there was some doubt which turned out to be sadly (& tragically) correct.
Benji was a big figure for the Pro Cycling Manager game and later was a consultant for Visma and now he's consulting for Lotto.

I wouldn't call him an influencer as he's not hawking merchandise. He has industry experience.

I literally snuck onto a press row 20+ years ago for the biggest High School basketball AAU tournament in the country as a journalist working for a non-affiliated university website and interviewed players who were potential recruits for the school I was working with.

Sports is all about seizing opportunities and forcing your way in unless you are a world class athlete.

Of course it doesn't mean you have to like or agree with someone.

Broadly speaking I dont really understand it either. In his case hes specifically, hes basically a cycling populist lol, always having the "obvious good guy" opinion (which despite that is quite often wrong or atleast debateable as those type of opinions often are, if theyre given deeper thought) and spewing as many of those into the twitter abyss as possible. I guess persistence pays of in that regard. Plus I do enjoy the postcast, but mostly if not exclusively for the other guy, who seems more levelheaded, less calculating, alot less pc and generally more knowledgeable imo Benji is getting carried hard. Good for him I suppose
Benji is a pathetic shill with an obvious bias that even when he gets stuff right he makes the point in such a manufactured way as to destroy all credibility. Is he still being paid directly by Plugge or is he pretending to be objective now?

Update on Jay Vine:

Dr. Adriano Rotunno (Medical Director): "Jay Vine suffered a heavy crash today during the race and sustained a cervical and two thoracic spine vertebral body fractures. Thankfully no neurological involvement, and there are no other major injuries or head trauma. Jay will stay in hospital for neurological observation. We await spinal orthopaedic assessment and further management."

Really bad luck, and he's had plenty of it.

View: https://twitter.com/TeamEmiratesUAE/status/1775956113294246377

Following the crash during Thursday’s stage 4 of Itzulia Basque Country, Remco Evenepoel was taken to hospital, for medical examination.
There it was revealed that the Belgian Champion suffered a fracture to his right collarbone and his right scapula.

If you have a fetish about watching people die, then I understand that you think it's daft. But for normal people it's acceptable not to see pictures of a crash where it's not certain the driver will survive.

And how often do you watch F1? Every 30 years? F1 didn't stay in 1994, a lot has changed since then. If something really bad happens, like Bianchi's crash in Japan, someone from the FIA comes out and explains what's going on. Or are you one of those sick people who would have loved to watch from 20 camera angles in super slow motion as his head is smashed at +200km/h on a tractor?

If something has a happy ending, like Grosjean's crash, can't you wait 10 minutes to see a living person jump out of the flames?

There's a huge spectrum between the strawman you present here (i.e. ghoulish up close shots of macabre death) & what amounts to essentially censoring the broadcast & treating the paying public like children, which is what modern F1 does (& it's what some people are advocating for re cycling broadcasts).

I'm not a child. I don't appreciate being treated as one, nor do I appreciate being labelled 'ghoulish' just for wanting to be kept in the loop. I basically don't need self-proclaimed moralists censoring my tv feed on the basis they're doing it for my own good.

Vine broken back too, no info about Sean Quinn or Roglic. Can't believe how brutal the crash was, no idea how Marc Soler managed to keep upright,

Edit: @Delo_Sport

"Primož Roglič suffered only some abrasions in that nasty crash and he will be back on a bike in a few days."
Well, at least we have good news regarding Roglic.

Remco update:

Following the crash during Thursday’s stage 4 of Itzulia Basque Country, Remco Evenepoel was taken to hospital, for medical examination.

There it was revealed that the Belgian Champion suffered a fracture to his right collarbone and his right scapula.

Benji is a pathetic shill with an obvious bias that even when he gets stuff right he makes the point in such a manufactured way as to destroy all credibility. Is he still being paid directly by Plugge or is he pretending to be objective now?
All you have to do is watch their trip to Flanders. Watch Benji try to conquer the bergs and you will laugh. Pathetic display really. Meanwhile, the other LT-guy (who I somehow forgot the name of, the Australian lad) is climbing them while giving nice reports. In general he seems like a chill and very knowledgeable guy who I enjoy listening to most of the time, but I can definitely agree than Benji is at best very whatever and at worst a CHARLATAN and a FRAUD as my man mou would put it.

All you have to do is watch their trip to Flanders. Watch Benji try to conquer the bergs and you will laugh. Pathetic display really. Meanwhile, the other LT-guy (who I somehow forgot the name of, the Australian lad) is climbing them while giving nice reports. In general he seems like a chill and very knowledgeable guy who I enjoy listening to most of the time, but I can definitely agree than Benji is at best very whatever and at worst a CHARLATAN and a FRAUD as my man mou would put it.
Patrick was doing in depth race analysis before the podcast even started. Pretty sure Benji was just doing procyclingmanager stuff and his only real skill seems to be twitter algorithm. His entire concept of strategy doesn't go much beyond hurdur tugbuddy

Honestly I don't understand how the "real" journos get into it either. Precious few valuable insights coming out of "the angry asian" or Gregor Brown or any of the staff writers on cyclingnews. Patrick Broe is one of the very few who has earned a place in the conversation other than by participating as a professional rider.

Benji's role on the Lanterne Rouge podcast is the know-nothing everyman, which is the same as JB on The Move, so I guess that's something people connect with. JB at least has a history on talk radio so I suppose his way of filling air with platitudes is generally entertaining to a broad audience.

Half the time when Benji is voicing an opinion or idea on the LRCP it feels like he's just pitching softballs for Broe to swing at, and even Benji doesn't know if these words hold any truth or not. He's a cuddlier version of ChatGPT.

I hate to be that guy but one glimpse of Benji in lycra is enough to tell you all you need to know about whether this guy is a real cyclist/fan of the sport.

Benji was a big figure for the Pro Cycling Manager game and later was a consultant for Visma and now he's consulting for Lotto.

I wouldn't call him an influencer as he's not hawking merchandise. He has industry experience.

I literally snuck onto a press row 20+ years ago for the biggest High School basketball AAU tournament in the country as a journalist working for a non-affiliated university website and interviewed players who were potential recruits for the school I was working with.

Sports is all about seizing opportunities and forcing your way in unless you are a world class athlete.

Of course it doesn't mean you have to like or agree with someone.
Pray tell what he is "consulting" on. Social media management? To me, "consultant" is a euphemism for "on the dole".