• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ivan Basso Wins by 2 Minutes on Monte Zoncolan

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I think a lot of the people who were slamming Vino are those that are now also questioning Basso.

Others are going on the silly notion that Basso actually confessed..... sort of, whilst big bad Vino didnt, therefore Basso is not as bad.

It's a bit more complicated it seems. There are favorites and despised. The despised people are usually the hypocrites/deniers.

Vino and Basso are special kind of deniers :) Somehow Basso avoided bad press last year, while his performance was rather well if you look at his missed year (Trentino and top ten spot in a GT). Vino, being who he is, is a lot more visible, hence the bad press.

I'm not slamming Basso... but he's just like Vino a sign that things are very wrong. Solution? Maybe just break up the organizations: x times a dopes racer: DS+Staff banned... I don't know.

*life time bans for racers: I don't believe in those, nor does it seem fair. It's not murder.. people can and should get the opportunity to change.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
As I have said before I have no problem with Basso winning he publishes all his values and his power numbers he has been very open and while the sport isn't clean because of the bio passport it is cleaner.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I think a lot of the people who were slamming Vino are those that are now also questioning Basso.

Others are going on the silly notion that Basso actually confessed..... sort of, whilst big bad Vino didnt, therefore Basso is not as bad.

'NOW also questioning????'

I have no questions, and very little doubts. If they are at the top in the ProTour, I don't have any questions whatsoever of any of them.

If you want to have the rose colored glasses surgically attached, then go ahead, but you're gonna look silly.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Sassi has said both 'Evans and Basso are proof that you can win clean', but then he is on their payroll. I'm not saying Sassi is full of crap, but would he say that if he wasn't training them?

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
For the last 30kms of Saturday's stage Basso sucked Evans' and Sacrponi's wheels whilst they chased down Nibali. He basically got a tow to the line, his nose out of the wind until the last 2 metres when he nipped out to take 2nd place on the stage. Evans was working very hard to try and limit the time loss to Nibali. Next day Evans, Scarponi and Nibali all looked like they were paying for Saturday's efforts relative to Basso's performance.

CycloErgoSum said:
If I were Evans I'd be pi$$ed at continually being beaten by unrepentant dopers with nay a peep out of him.

*lightbulb

Nonesense. He road a minute and a half slower up the same climb won by Simoni in 2007. He was putting out under 6 watts per kilo, nowhere near the 6.2 boundry, at which point his trainer (and Evans' by the way) Alsdo Sassi says we should start having suspiscions.

He didn't crush Evans and the others, just road a bit faster. It was a fair fight, with all the due caution such a statement in modern cycling requires, between the two. In regards to Cunego. Never was as strong as Basso.

He may have not admited to doping, though he did to attempted doping which was enough for the ban anyway so he served his time. And I can assure you he isn't an arrogant hypocrite. Yes he has behaved hypocritically, though he's not vile. He did as he was told, served his time and now he's back. I don't care if he didn't decide to blow the cover as Landis is trying to do and am content with his humility: perhaps if we keep to the real statistics he may actually have done yeasterday's result on the exceptional form he's got presently. And if there is "help" it's certainly not of the Weapons of Mass Destruction Kind. Though it would be foolish to think that when Evans and Cunego make pronouncements about themselves riding clean, this doesn't necessarilly mean that clean equates with riding on bread and water alone. This is what I mean by "fair fight," when everything is kept within the agreed upon limits.