• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ivan Basso's popularity in Italy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Is he the most popular cyclist in Italy?

Genuine question, as I watching Stage 20, and Harmon mentioned that when Basso took the maglia rosa at Aprica, he mentioned that Saturday's edition of La Gazzetta dello Sport, and for the first time for this year's Giro, it was on the front page with a picture of Basso, the first 6 pages dedicated to the Giro, and Basso getting a 9/10, even though most agree Arroyo was the rider of the day.

So is La Gazzetta huge Basso fanboys, or is Basso a very popular rider in Italy? If he's not the most popular, then who is?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Pantani.
Of those still alive, I'd say Bettini.
Of those still active, Pozzato has a huge following. But the GT riders win all popularity contests in a country like Italy, especially if they win.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
despite his past he really is a good guy though
who can forget him holding up the picture of santiago basso
beautiful sister etc means hes sure to get the coverage
during his ban didnt he cycle sportives for charity i remember reading?
hes no armstrong in terms of being selfish cocky and arrogant hes an all round decent bloke so whats not to like about him

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I like him. Seems reserved and dedicated/hardworking and his riding is at a high level even without PEDs. His post bust porkies were measured and a little calculated (that's Ivan) but not outrageous nor sanctimonious.

Simoni certainly has a different view (although I am not sure Gibo's popularity in Italy itself is universal).

craig1985 said:
Is he the most popular cyclist in Italy?

Genuine question, as I watching Stage 20, and Harmon mentioned that when Basso took the maglia rosa at Aprica, he mentioned that Saturday's edition of La Gazzetta dello Sport, and for the first time for this year's Giro, it was on the front page with a picture of Basso, the first 6 pages dedicated to the Giro, and Basso getting a 9/10, even though most agree Arroyo was the rider of the day.

So is La Gazzetta huge Basso fanboys, or is Basso a very popular rider in Italy? If he's not the most popular, then who is?

I would say Basso at the moment. Nations like to have their heros, which is part of the reason why the Olympics remain so popular.

I'd imagine that if Lance wins the tour that the NY times would have a few pages on him..(grin).

In this moment yes.

Two years ago, it was Riccò.

Until Pantani went, he was, with Gilberto Simoni taking his place when he, Pantani, was in the clinic. And before Pantini, Chiappuci.

When Bettini won the Olimpics and Worlds, it was him.

Cipo was everyone's favorite personality.

So it depends, and the Italians can't be pinned-down to just one for very long. They get bored to quickly.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Media and italian cycling loves Basso due to his "genuine/good boy look" but trust me that many didn't forget his 2 years ban.

As for Gazzetta, Saturday was pratically the last (hard/true) stage of Giro and the italian soccer championship is already finished.
Plus RCS, the organizer of Giro, is part of Gazzetta.

TRENDING THREADS