Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I do think, despite Fuglsang obviously being one of the strongest riders today, that he was a little bit lucky to escape with Alaphilippe, as it looked like a random gap appearing behind Fuglsang, Trentin and the two DQS rider sparked the breakaway initially. Not so sure that such a thing will happen again in LBL, so Jakob is going to have to create the gap by pure strength, most likely.

Luckily the hardest climbs are packed in the final 50k, so there should be plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the pure physical advantage that he's carrying around at the moment. I am not sure if the old finish in Ans would have been better, but the new one is not bad for Jakob either with Roche Aux Faucons coming so close to the finish line.
 
When he stopped working with Ala they had almost one minute, So a guaranteed 2nd place. Got a bit lucky to get 3rd but I think he he should´ve played the sprint anyway with Ala a bit more confidence.
 
The way he closed Alaphilippe on Eyserbosweg makes be believe he actually has a tiny chance of winning Flèche, but it would require an offday from Alaphilippe and Valverde and Martin are no slouches either.

I think he played it right today, he attacked a couple of times and and then sat up the last 5 k in the headwind. Had Julian kept the pace higher, I think he would be gassed for the sprint and the sprint would have been up for grabs.

On the new route, Fuglsang really does have chances in LBL. I think its better, the finale will start at La Redoute and the previous climbs will be ridden harder.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The way he closed Alaphilippe on Eyserbosweg makes be believe he actually has a tiny chance of winning Flèche, but it would require an offday from Alaphilippe and Valverde and Martin are no slouches either.

I think he played it right today, he attacked a couple of times and and then sat up the last 5 k in the headwind. Had Julian kept the pace higher, I think he would be gassed for the sprint and the sprint would have been up for grabs.

On the new route, Fuglsang really does have chances in LBL. I think its better, the finale will start at La Redoute and the previous climbs will be ridden harder.
I'm not sure what attacking on La Redoute accomplishes that you don't also accomplish by attacking on the RaF.

To me it now seems that if you get away on the false flat after the RaF, which is definetly not easy, nobody can bring you back.
 
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
 
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
Do we ever get a power file with the power output over an entire Mur? Cause I think normally there's barely anyone who can go much faster on the first 2/3s of the Mur anyway.
 
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
They would if they could. It's not easy to do that, you need to be super strong, Kwiatkowski tried to force on the front and you saw where he finished. The last one who tried form the s-bend and hold on to the podium was Betancur from his "glory days". Purito and Gilbert jumped with 300-400 m to go in their winning years, that's the longest distance I remember for a winner to place an attack on the Mur. Maybe Adam Yates could've done it, but unfortunately he crashed.
 
Re:

Lequack said:
How much chance does he have of a podium at the Tour? You'd think in his current form it would be good, especially with not a lot of TT.
I very much question his stability for 3 weeks, but I dont really know. It should be a decent route for Fuglsang, but recovery/stability and high mountain climbing isn't top notch
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
They would if they could. It's not easy to do that, you need to be super strong, Kwiatkowski tried to force on the front and you saw where he finished. The last one who tried form the s-bend and hold on to the podium was Betancur from his "glory days". Purito and Gilbert jumped with 300-400 m to go in their winning years, that's the longest distance I remember for a winner to place an attack on the Mur. Maybe Adam Yates could've done it, but unfortunately he crashed.
God Gilbert's ascent was ridiculous. He was literally celebrating for the last 150m and still posted the 2nd fastest time up the climb.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
They would if they could. It's not easy to do that, you need to be super strong, Kwiatkowski tried to force on the front and you saw where he finished. The last one who tried form the s-bend and hold on to the podium was Betancur from his "glory days". Purito and Gilbert jumped with 300-400 m to go in their winning years, that's the longest distance I remember for a winner to place an attack on the Mur. Maybe Adam Yates could've done it, but unfortunately he crashed.
God Gilbert's ascent was ridiculous. He was literally celebrating for the last 150m and still posted the 2nd fastest time up the climb.
Yeah, right.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
Great ride today. More riders should follow his example and attack midway up the Mur.

Fuglsang should be the second best bet on a Liege winner but his biggest problem is still the dominant Ala.

He is no longer an underdog who can sneak away. Alaphilippe will mark him like a sniper.
They would if they could. It's not easy to do that, you need to be super strong, Kwiatkowski tried to force on the front and you saw where he finished. The last one who tried form the s-bend and hold on to the podium was Betancur from his "glory days". Purito and Gilbert jumped with 300-400 m to go in their winning years, that's the longest distance I remember for a winner to place an attack on the Mur. Maybe Adam Yates could've done it, but unfortunately he crashed.
God Gilbert's ascent was ridiculous. He was literally celebrating for the last 150m and still posted the 2nd fastest time up the climb.
Yeah, right.
Just rewatched it; he starts celebrating with less than 50m to go. Still a crazy performance.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY