• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fuglsang raced on with a broken elbow back in 2017. Maybe that's his standard! :D

Di Luca once stayed in the race with intestinal problems during his Saeco days. Hang behind the main peloton accompanied by Gerrit Glomser for a few stages. Wasn't much help himself for the ongoing Giro d'Italia. 2003 I think it was?

What did he say about Vlasov? What did he expect him to do?

Putting the boot into a teammate who climbed off while obviously ill is not displaying the kind of leadership that makes others want to turn themselves inside out for you!

Basically he just says he does not know whether Vlasov tried everything to finish the stage.
I have thought a bit about these pieces and I don't really like his way. I like people to be honest, and sometimes that means saying things that are not nice, but these articles are bashing Sicily / other countries, his team-mate Vlasov and his rival Nibali, also in a way most other contenders in the race, while stating how great and strong he feels. Maybe he needs this right now to put himself "in the mood". Don't know.

Remember this is the kind of newspaper that take one off hand sentence and BAM it's a new article. They have like twenty different stories about Fuglsang/Giro so far. It's a kind of journalism all about traffic and number of views. But yeah often Jakob does not seem to be aware how what he says can be interpreted.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Unless you are injured (in a way that will worsen if you ride) you ride through that *** and hope you get better later in the race.

If he tried as much as he could, do you not think that Vlasov could finish the stage within the time limit?
Maybe he could have tried, but sometimes riders just can't do it. And even if Vlasov retired to not help him, I don't think he should say something like this to the press imo.

Reactions: roundabout
Maybe he could have tried, but sometimes riders just can't do it. And even if Vlasov retired to not help him, I don't think he should say something like this to the press imo.

There are minor bugs that absolutely 100% would stop someone from completing a Giro stage within the time limit. Publicly accusing a teammate - one who played a role in a Monument win this year - of climbing off unnecessarily for presumably nefarious reasons is really amazingly entitled. I don’t object to him doing a bit of mild trash talking about his opponents at all. Cycling could do with a bit less in the way of bland commentary from riders. But putting the boot into a teammate in the press unless you have nailed on cause is bad form.

There are minor bugs that absolutely 100% would stop someone from completing a Giro stage within the time limit. Publicly accusing a teammate - one who played a role in a Monument win this year - of climbing off unnecessarily for presumably nefarious reasons is really amazingly entitled. I don’t object to him doing a bit of mild trash talking about his opponents at all. Cycling could do with a bit less in the way of bland commentary from riders. But putting the boot into a teammate in the press unless you have nailed on cause is bad form.
I agree. I have no problem with his trash talk style comments on Nibali but what I didn't like was his comments about Vlasov, who was a great help to Fuglsang at Giro di Lombardia.

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
Winning the ORR is bigger than winning the Dauphine. Losing the ORR is not. This is not curling or archery or some other sport nobody cares about which consequently centres on the Olympics or adopts its norms of valuing good losing spots almost as much as winning an event.
Olympic gold is definitely bigger, silver and bronze are not bigger, but I would say nor lesser achievement than Dauphine (or Pais Vasco, Paris-Nice, Tirreno, etc).
I'm really not a fan of that "winning is everything" view. Like we have only one winner and everybody else is a loser, that's a bit childish. For example GT first and second "losers" are bigger in my book than above mentioned Dauphine winners.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Pretty tame column today but I did enjoy this tidbit:

"I'm queuing for the boat from Sicily to the mainland as I write this column. This will be a long transfer from destination to the hotel.

Actually, we were supposed to have a boat that was only for us because of the corona, but we were delayed and still keep waiting to sail.

We stay here because four buses with us can not get on the ferry, and the explanation is simple: on the ferry, they simply did not expect that we had cars with bicycles on the roof.

So the cars that should have been downstairs can not be there because they are too high. They are then driven in where the buses are supposed to stop, and tadaaaah. Now there is no room for them."

Reactions: Bardamu
What happened to his descending skills? He wasn´t able to stay on Nibalis wheel in most corners and lost multiple positions. Even Kelderman did a better job. Always thought that he was one of the best among climbers.

I watched a couple of stages of the 2017 Tour during the lockdown because Eurosport were showing them, and he really didn't go well there, either. Especially on the descent down Mont du Chat he went really badly (albeit a bit better than Porte) and was actually dropped from the front group, then he came back on the flat.

On the other hand he didn't seem too troubled down the Sormano in Lombardia.

TRENDING THREADS