• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
nobody was thinking saxo was folding nor was it. schlecks got a better offer from leopard and riis tried to get in contador. I believe fuglsang said he prefered not to be in a team with contador as he ahd no chances for his own

No. Fuglsang moved because of the departure of Schlecks and Kim Andersen. They'd planned to train and basically live together in the same area (which they do now). He would have just as many chances on Saxo to ride for himself as on Leopard.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thomsena said:
No. Fuglsang moved because of the departure of Schlecks and Kim Andersen. They'd planned to train and basically live together in the same area (which they do now). He would have just as many chances on Saxo to ride for himself as on Leopard.

Him and Andy live in the same appartment building. He also said in an interview last year that he didn't want too much GT responsibility yet, seems like he feels up for it now

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Thomsena said:

yes but what I meant is it was a choice from fuglsang to leave riis and he knew what he was getting and he didn't want to stay so why would he want back now?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Riis couldn't find a sponsor until the Tour de France. During Tour de Suisse, he still had nothing. Most riders like to have everything in place by then. That's why many of them signed with LEOPARD TREK rather than wait and see what Riis comes up with. It was a last minute deal and until then it looked pretty bad, seeing that even Cancellara's miracle spring didn't help
I think you're rewriting history a bit. By the TdF there was already speculation about a Luxembourg based team built around the Schleck brothers. Once Andy & Frank had announced their departure the process of gutting Saxobank was on.

The catalyst was not Riis's lack of sponsor rather the impending wholesale stripping of the team by Becca & co.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
yes but what I meant is it was a choice from fuglsang to leave riis and he knew what he was getting and he didn't want to stay so why would he want back now?

Why are you still discussing that old sheit and not discussing the interesting side of weight ratios and fatburning.
Oh wait, thehog on mission, found another Trojan horse (threads including RSLT or it's riders) to unfold and spread strange love. I was thinking about contributing something, but people don't seem to able to scrap the old sheit from their shoes and keep on spreading it.
No surprise if a hog keeps on ****ing in front of the door.

As for the RSLT-thread, haters will win this team classification easily, while thehog is missing some support. Bring on the hate !

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
I think you're rewriting history a bit. By the TdF there was already speculation about a Luxembourg based team built around the Schleck brothers. Once Andy & Frank had announced their departure the process of gutting Saxobank was on.

The catalyst was not Riis's lack of sponsor rather the impending wholesale stripping of the team by Becca & co.

I think you misunderstood me. By the Tour de France there was not only speculation but the LEOPARD TREK roster was probably around 90% finalized. During the Tour de Suisse, the Schlecks asked Riis whether he could make them an offer or not, and he couldn't.

Also the Schlecks only announced their departure to LEOPARD TREK after the Tour the France, when Saxo Bank was already saved. Of course it was known all year long that they would leave, but I'm pretty sure they would have left regardless of whether or not LEOPARD TREK was created.

It was a different case for Fuglsang:

I would like to have it done by the middle of June, at least before the Tour

If Riis had been able to make an offer he would have stayed:

The ideal situation would be for Bjarne to find a team but right now there isn't one. I'm happy here and if they go on I don't see why I would leave

From what I heard from Bjarne it's looking good and he'll have something in a few weeks. I don't know how it's going lately but when we were in Belgium for the Classics I had a chat with him and he said it was looking good so hopefully he will come up with something soon.

"If I stay with Fränk and Andy it will be for helping them in races. That's fine with me, as we have a really good relationship, but at the end of the day I need to think about myself and we'd still be friends even if we were riding on different teams.

This was in May, and over a month later Riis still didn't have anything. As Fuglsang wanted to have things done before the Tour, he signed with LEOPARD TREK, I assume partly because it was mostly Saxo Bank anyways, and partly because of $$$

The same probably counts for other riders such as Lund, Klemme, Rasmussen.

Bottom line if Riis had been able to secure a sponsor early on he could have saved part of his team despite the Schlecks leaving. I think them, Cancellara and O'Grady were the only ones really trying to get away from Riis, everyone else would have been fine with staying.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-keeps-his-options-open

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I think you misunderstood me. By the Tour de France there was not only speculation but the LEOPARD TREK roster was probably around 90% finalized. During the Tour de Suisse, the Schlecks asked Riis whether he could make them an offer or not, and he couldn't.

Also the Schlecks only announced their departure to LEOPARD TREK after the Tour the France, when Saxo Bank was already saved. Of course it was known all year long that they would leave, but I'm pretty sure they would have left regardless of whether or not LEOPARD TREK was created.

It was a different case for Fuglsang:

If Riis had been able to make an offer he would have stayed:

This was in May, and over a month later Riis still didn't have anything. As Fuglsang wanted to have things done before the Tour, he signed with LEOPARD TREK, I assume partly because it was mostly Saxo Bank anyways, and partly because of $$$

The same probably counts for other riders such as Lund, Klemme, Rasmussen.

Bottom line if Riis had been able to secure a sponsor early on he could have saved part of his team despite the Schlecks leaving. I think them, Cancellara and O'Grady were the only ones really trying to get away from Riis, everyone else would have been fine with staying.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-keeps-his-options-open
********! (Round hairy things!)

Many teams, major & minor have their sponsorship renewed after the Tour. The Schlecks' underhand actions destabilised Saxobank & undermined Riis's ability to court a replacement as he had to find a replacement for the exodus.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
The Schlecks' underhand actions destabilised Saxobank & undermined Riis's ability to court a replacement as he had to find a replacement for the exodus.

Lol sorry to see you get so worked up about this but tbh I don't know why. Also you're not making sense. Maybe cause you're getting yourself all worked up.

If I understand you correctly, Riis was looking for new riders ("find a replacement for the exodus"), thus leaving him no time to look for a sponsor ("ability to court a replacement"). So basically first hire people, figure out a way to pay them later.

My understanding is that Riis was absent for most of the time, looking for a sponsor (and failing). Therefore things got really out of hand in his team and he basically had to fire Andersen, Andy, Stuey and Cancellara to get some order in again.

In any case all is well that ends well and Bjarne pulled it off so it could all have been much worse

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Lol sorry to see you get so worked up about this but tbh I don't know why. Also you're not making sense. Maybe cause you're getting yourself all worked up.

If I understand you correctly, Riis was looking for new riders ("find a replacement for the exodus"), thus leaving him no time to look for a sponsor ("ability to court a replacement"). So basically first hire people, figure out a way to pay them later.

My understanding is that Riis was absent for most of the time, looking for a sponsor (and failing). Therefore things got really out of hand in his team and he basically had to fire Andersen, Andy, Stuey and Cancellara to get some order in again.

In any case all is well that ends well and Bjarne pulled it off so it could all have been much worse
No not really worked up at all.

However if you think that the Luxembourg project only got going around the TdS you're ignoring the facts.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/biver-confirms-possibility-of-team-schleck-in-2011

That dates from early March 2010, but references the possibility of the project starting in November 2009. What was any potential sponsor to think?

I do have to admit taking a little pleasure in LeOpard failing to win anything of significance pretty much the whole season. Rather poetic justice, IMO.

As for Fugslang's choices at the end of 2010, is it any wonder that he jumped to LeOpard? Probably gave Riis as much time as he could but in the end he had to look after number 1.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
No not really worked up at all.

However if you think that the Luxembourg project only got going around the TdS you're ignoring the facts.

I know that it got started much earlier, but I believe right around TdS must have been when they signed most of their riders

ultimobici said:
As for Fugslang's choices at the end of 2010, is it any wonder that he jumped to LeOpard? Probably gave Riis as much time as he could but in the end he had to look after number 1.

I agree except I don't exactly know who you are referring to by number 1?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I know that it got started much earlier, but I believe right around TdS must have been when they signed most of their riders
They'd had high profile speculation in the press up to 3 months earlier. If the did indeed sign any rider at the point they were already flouting the rules. But, as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. LeOpard had a barren season until a relative unknown won Lombardia. Schleck, Cancellara and all the stars won zip.

I agree except I don't exactly know who you are referring to by number 1?
Look after No 1 means look out for yourself. He waited as long as he could for Riis to sort out a replacement for Saxobank, but ultimately the bills need paying and you have to eat, so he had to make other arrangements. Perhaps if he'd stayed he might be looking at a leadership role at Saxo, especially if Contador is banned.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
They'd had high profile speculation in the press up to 3 months earlier. If the did indeed sign any rider at the point they were already flouting the rules.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? How is it "flouting the rules"?

ultimobici said:
But, as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. LeOpard had a barren season until a relative unknown won Lombardia. Schleck, Cancellara and all the stars won zip.

I think they had a great season despite not many high profile wins. I would rather use the proverb "in order to win something big you have to be patient" - used by Andy himself in the famous fishing homestory a couple of years ago. Sadly, Becca had none. Or else couldn't afford to be patient anymore. Zaugg's win was ironic in the sense that it showed Becca that he was dead wrong, you can't just throw in money and expect success, if there is no success just throw in even more money. The team had the capacity all along, and they finally proved it in Lombardy. Sadly, it was too late

ultimobici said:
Look after No 1 means look out for yourself. He waited as long as he could for Riis to sort out a replacement for Saxobank, but ultimately the bills need paying and you have to eat, so he had to make other arrangements. Perhaps if he'd stayed he might be looking at a leadership role at Saxo, especially if Contador is banned.

Oddly enough, this is exactly what I meant when I said:

Christian said:
Riis couldn't find a sponsor until the Tour de France. During Tour de Suisse, he still had nothing. Most riders like to have everything in place by then. That's why many of them signed with LEOPARD TREK rather than wait and see what Riis comes up with.

which is what got this whole discussion started and had you calling out for round hairy things.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
http://www.procycling.no/dansk-toppsyklist-fikk-ny-kropp-med-norsk-metode/ (Norwegian)

Now he is 64 kg, he's got "butter" in his hips, he lost his upper chest fat (which he'd accumulated because he grew up with a dominating mother), his breathing capasity had increased 10-15%, Scarponi and Nibali couldn't drop him on Teide. Astana had an osteopath come from France to have a look at all their riders on Teide and only Fuglsang was perfect. All thanks to his new personal coach, Inge-Jarl Clausen. :cool:

https://brukere.snl.no/3356

Re:

neineinei said:
http://www.procycling.no/dansk-toppsyklist-fikk-ny-kropp-med-norsk-metode/ (Norwegian)

Now he is 64 kg, he's got "butter" in his hips, he lost his upper chest fat (which he'd accumulated because he grew up with a dominating mother), his breathing capasity had increased 10-15%, Scarponi and Nibali couldn't drop him on Teide. Astana had an osteopath come from France to have a look at all their riders on Teide and only Fuglsang was perfect. All thanks to his new personal coach, Inge-Jarl Clausen. :cool:

https://brukere.snl.no/3356
64 kgs :O Cannot wait to see Jakob at Tour de Suisse. However, being dropped by Nibali (in his current state of shape) and Scarponi would be pretty disappointing for a GC rider of Jakob's class

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
After Taaramae said he climbed at 480 watts for 12 minutes this is another great news for Astana's A team. Those brave Astana riders in the Giro were just an appetizer for what to expect in Le Tour.
what the ***? when?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Vino unchained the wolves :cool:
Birdsong on the TdF podium would be horrible, I really dislike that guy, he's the only Astana rider that I can't stand.
I think he'll peak for the TdS because he'll be the leader in that race.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Vino unchained the wolves :cool:
Birdsong on the TdF podium would be horrible, I really dislike that guy, he's the only Astana rider that I can't stand.
I think he'll peak for the TdS because he'll be the leader in that race.
I disagree with all of your points. Why, if I may ask, do you dislike him? :) I think his way of riding is hard to question. He attacks from far out very often, and he is very good at disposing his powers. He's a good, if unspectacular, descender and he is tactically wiser than a lot of his Astana teammates.