• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quite a few options open next season. If he rides the Tour it will be with no GC aim and probably exiting the race in the 2nd week due to the calendar position of the Olympics RR.

Spring is very open. RVV is the race I would personally look mostly forward to seeing him race as I think his technique and build means he has a better shot than Valverde, and after all, Valverde's RVV-attempt this year went very well.

Super ride from Jakob once again. Normally he would be very disappointed to be off the podium, but probably not so much this time given all of his results in the spring.

I think that his career as a GT GC rider is over. He cannot choose the Giro over the Ardennes next season, and Tour and Vuelta would appear non viable alternatives given the Olympics and WC. By 2021 there would probably be 10-15 better GC riders than him (if there are not already). Maybe only a weaker Vuelta would provide a possible podium, and only if he was allowed to focus on it, which teams rarely allow riders to do.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
When I think about it, a if he goes to the Tour will be forced to be the last dom for Lopéz. He can't rest as a stage hunter.

I'd go with something like this:

Valenciana
Andalucia
Strade
T-A
Dwars
Flanders
Amstel
Fleche
Liege
Romandie
Dauphine or Suisse
Olympics
Vuelta
Worlds
Italian classics
Lombardia

Of the all the Grand Tours, I think the Vuelta suit him the best.

When I think about it, a if he goes to the Tour will be forced to be the last dom for Lopéz. He can't rest as a stage hunter.

I'd go with something like this:

Valenciana
Andalucia
Strade
T-A
Dwars
Flanders
Amstel
Fleche
Liege
Romandie
Dauphine or Suisse
Olympics
Vuelta
Worlds
Italian classics
Lombardia

Of the all the Grand Tours, I think the Vuelta suit him the best.

I like this, but it is rare for a rider of Fuglsang's quality to be allowed to totally skip the Giro and the Tour. In fact I cannot remember when this has happened recently.

Super ride from Jakob once again. Normally he would be very disappointed to be off the podium, but probably not so much this time given all of his results in the spring.

Actually, he was initially disappointed, maybe because of his results in the spring. He's probably the only rider this year for whom a fourth place is his worst result in a WT one-day race. (Of course, he didn't do that many…)

I think that his career as a GT GC rider is over. He cannot choose the Giro over the Ardennes next season, and Tour and Vuelta would appear non viable alternatives given the Olympics and WC. By 2021 there would probably be 10-15 better GC riders than him (if there are not already). Maybe only a weaker Vuelta would provide a possible podium, and only if he was allowed to focus on it, which teams rarely allow riders to do.
I do not think the Giro would be bad for him necessarily. The racing is less controlled and more like in the classics. But the level in the highest mountains in the Tour is so insane and the riding is so defensive that it just does not fit with Jakob.

Anyway, if the choice was between Giro and spring classics/stage races, he should probably pursue the latter. He is still absolute top class in one week races (only Roglic and A Yates are better imo), and it is not worth sacrifizing that path. From a fan perspective, and if I have to be honest, I also enjoy the spring races (both classics and stage races) much more than the Grand Tours (just compare Tirreno / Itzulia with any of the Grand Tours this year). If Jakob decides to take this path and decides to completely ditch the flashier Grand Tours, then fine with me.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Fuglsang should focus on the classics and let other riders take the pressure off him on the GT's.
Something similar to Valverde could happen. When Quintana came along he took off a lot of the pressure off his shoulders in GT's. To later see that he podiumed at the Tour and other races. But do not make it the main focus because he has gone that road before without success.

The route of the Tour 2020 seems to fit Fuglsang nicely, so I wouldn't write him completely off in terms of participating in that race once again. I think that he considers the Tour de France to be the biggest stage race of them all and a thing that motivates him. He might do a "Vuelta 2019" and go for stage wins.

I expect him to say something in an interview before the end of this year about his 2020 plans.