• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree with Jancouver that the thread or any further discussion should be moved but I don't know if the clinic is the right place. Yes he was a cyclist but this isn't about his cycling career at all and pure gossip, rumors, and half truths.

Still hope he can get his life situated so as not to hurt others again or himself.

Peter Cossins
‏ @petercossins
Further concerns about the whereabouts and welfare of Jan Ullrich says @lequipe. None of his friends and family have had any contact with him for 3 weeks, a person unknown but believed to be someone he met in a Palma gym is answering his phone

Re:

claude cat said:
Peter Cossins
‏ @petercossins
Further concerns about the whereabouts and welfare of Jan Ullrich says @lequipe. None of his friends and family have had any contact with him for 3 weeks, a person unknown but believed to be someone he met in a Palma gym is answering his phone

Well that isn't good. Despite everything that happened hopefully he is okay.

lance3.png

Reunion.

Is that a recent picture ? I've just seen others on Twitter where they are riding together in Majorque with Hincapie and Ulle looks pretty "unfit". Armstrong says he's dropping him though, true talent vs "artificial" talent I suppose...I thought Ullrich was back in Merdringen living in a small flat...well maybe Armstrong flew him out there...

Call me a sucker but I enjoy the bromance between Jan & Lance.

And considering Armstrong's long long line of "choads" & "punks" on his sh*tlist for life, Ullrich must have made quite an impression to be considered one of his best friends.
That's exactly why I'm suspicious of Jan. What's wrong with him that Lance likes him so much? :)

But yeah, that's very nice to see actually. I was of course die-hard Jan fan at the time and really hated Lance (for other reasons than most of the people hate him now). Ironically, now that everyone hates Lance, I listen to his podcasts :)

Is that a recent picture ? I've just seen others on Twitter where they are riding together in Majorque with Hincapie and Ulle looks pretty "unfit". Armstrong says he's dropping him though, true talent vs "artificial" talent I suppose...I thought Ullrich was back in Merdringen living in a small flat...well maybe Armstrong flew him out there...

Lance announced on the Move Podcast that he was travelling to Europe in Mid- September and he would meet up with Ullrich.

That's exactly why I'm suspicious of Jan. What's wrong with him that Lance likes him so much? :)
Perhaps because he is so very different from Lance, but at the same time has been so successful in his sport. Besides, it's just hard not to like him (at least it was before his escapades a few years ago). There is a reason why he was so immensely popular in Germany (and still is with many).

The footage from his first race in Germany after his comeback in 2003 (3:24 for goosebumps) should give you some idea. I was at this race (somewhere on the left at 1:35 lol) and it remains one of my fondest childhood memories.
View: https://youtu.be/GXieZLUbCKc

I'm really happy that Jan is doing well. Hell, he looks healthier than Lance (or at least 10 years younger)!

Jan looks great. OTOH Armstrong looks like his father or grandpa. Jeez. 10 years? It's more like 20-30!

Call me a sucker but I enjoy the bromance between Jan & Lance.

And considering Armstrong's long long line of "choads" & "punks" on his sh*tlist for life, Ullrich must have made quite an impression to be considered one of his best friends.

Lance helped Jan when he had a difficult time. He has a great respect for him as a rider and also there's some solidarity between two stars disgraced in their own countries. Judging by their looks now and by their lives one thing stands out: physical talent vs mental strength. I don't doubt for a second that Lance was suffering vs Jan during their Mallorca rides!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rackham
Jan looks great. OTOH Armstrong looks like his father or grandpa. Jeez. 10 years? It's more like 20-30!

Lance helped Jan when he had a difficult time. He has a great respect for him as a rider and also there's some solidarity between two stars disgraced in their own countries. Judging by their looks now and by their lives one thing stands out: physical talent vs mental strength. I don't doubt for a second that Lance was suffering vs Jan during their Mallorca rides!

Yea LA looks like close to 60, JU more like 40. Now we also understand what he meant when he said, while being 45, "Im a young men who needs sex".

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sad sad new.:(
Alcohol and drug addiction: Ullrich hospitalized in Mexico
According to the German newspaper Bild, at the basis of the new collapse of the former cyclist there could be the rupture of the relationship with his girlfriend Elizabeth Napoles

As re-reported by Gazzetta (in italian):

Seems unlikely he's ever going to get it together unfortunately...

Exactly.

On Friday, June 30, 2006, at 9.34 a.m., T-Mobile‘s PR man Christian Frommert announced to the media that T-Mobile won‘t allow Jan Ullrich to start the TdF the next day. This moment (they told Ulle shortly before) was the moment that destroyed Jan.

For Jan, this moment destroyed everything. It was Jan‘s June 30, 2006. In Strasbourg.

For Pantani, this „his“ day was Saturday, June 5, 1999 - in Madonna di Campiglio.

We all wanted to see Ullrich vs Basso in July 2006. We all are still waiting, and always will be.

:-(

Exactly.

On Friday, June 30, 2006, at 9.34 a.m., T-Mobile‘s PR man Christian Frommert announced to the media that T-Mobile won‘t allow Jan Ullrich to start the TdF the next day. This moment (they told Ulle shortly before) was the moment that destroyed Jan.

For Jan, this moment destroyed everything. It was Jan‘s June 30, 2006. In Strasbourg.

For Pantani, this „his“ day was Saturday, June 5, 1999 - in Madonna di Campiglio.

We all wanted to see Ullrich vs Basso in July 2006. We all are still waiting, and always will be.

:-(
Rubbish. Jan's rehabilitation is very possible. We should not give up on him. What happened in 2006 is history and any competent psychologist can help him reconcile that in his mind.

My little piece of support to Jan would be that he was in my opinion a greater talent than Lance Armstrong ever was and nobody who was following the sport in that period will forget the strength of Der Kaiser. He should be proud of what he achieved.

Rubbish. Jan's rehabilitation is very possible. We should not give up on him. What happened in 2006 is history and any competent psychologist can help him reconcile that in his mind.

My little piece of support to Jan would be that he was in my opinion a greater talent than Lance Armstrong ever was and nobody who was following the sport in that period will forget the strength of Der Kaiser. He should be proud of what he achieved.

I clearly like Jan.

I wish he won‘t end like Pantani ended.

TRENDING THREADS