• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg...

If it was only EPO & "GDR-School" that made Ullrich great, why o why did for example Ampler fail as Pro? Why did all the ex Friedensfahrt Champs fail as Pro´s?
Why did fearless Greg only shine at the TdF too?

To make it short: I agree with what D´Hont said "in a perfect (drug free world), Ullrich would have won 10 TdF". And we shall not forget that Ullrich delivered as early as all great champs (Fignon, Hinault, etc.). Unlike the super responders to dope like Armstrong, Rijs, Zülle etc...

Ullrich was robbed. That is certain.

Edit:And we shall never forget, Ullrich was a great ITTler as all the great TdF champs were. So even if some super duper climber would have dropped Ullrich, he still owns that obscure guy in the ITTs.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Fearless Greg...

If it was only EPO & "GDR-School" that made Ullrich great, why o why did for example Ampler fail as Pro? Why did all the ex Friedensfahrt Champs fail as Pro´s?

To make it short: I agree with what D´Hont said "in a perfect (drug free world), Ullrich would have won 10 TdF". And we shall not forget that Ullrich delivered as early as all great champs (Fignon, Hinault, etc.). Unlike the super responders to dope like Armstrong, Rijs, Zülle etc...

Edit:And we shall never forget, Ullrich was a great ITTler as all the great TdF champs were. So even if some super duper climber would have dropped Ullrich, he still owns that obscure guy in the ITTs.

While I may sympathize, I don't agree.

Doping was involved, so we cannot be certain exactly who the real Ullrich was.

The only certainty is that the sport, and all stakeholders, were robbed by Armstrong.

Dave.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Unlike the super responders to dope like Armstrong, Rijs, Zülle etc...

Let me guess your logic.
We have a guy, Alex Zulle, who only started cycling at age 18 (following an a ski accident).
At 22 he wins "la flèche du sud" (Luxemburg), 1990, most likely pre-EPO for him.

In 1999, he is obviously less doped than LA in the TdF since out of the 11 EPO positive samples 6 belonged to LA while the 30 or so other racers who were (re)tested in 2005 only managed 5 positives.

Besides, considering how much he was shaken by his French jail experience in 1998 (Festina affair, left naked and without his glasses) i would be ready to bet that he down-pedalled seriously his doping in 1999, like most of the peloton (except for a brash Texan).

(BTW, the law has been changed since then in France and those Festina guys would now have a lawyer by their side very soon after being taken into custody)

Therefore, I was wondering on what basis you put Zulle in the super responders category. (Also Bassons says in his first book that both himself and Zulle had the highest VO2 max in the off season.

Guess : superresponder because even far less doped than LA, that is sufficient to make him the best of the 1999 TdF peloton (LA being excluded)

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
While I may sympathize, I don't agree.

Doping was involved, so we cannot be certain exactly who the real Ullrich was.

The only certainty is that the sport, and all stakeholders, were robbed by Armstrong.

Dave.

Quality post, chapeau

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Fearless Greg...

Is it a German disease that people do not know how doping works, or is it just because the subject now is der Grossen Jan?

Ulrich robbed? Please, do not insult people. Ulrich robbed others like Gilles Delion of great podium positions Foxy. Made others see epo was needed to be succesfull. Guys like him and Indurain/Riis/pharmstrong or pick a name have made a mockery of cycling.

A guy like Ullrich would never have won a GT in normal circomstances. Not even top 20. Whatever dear old Jeff d'Hont says, that mtf would sell his own mother to get on the good side of certain people, the quack. Mister pot - belge for your info. A drug addict.

I did like your [simplistic] move towards LeMond, let us just say mister LeMond showed himself at l'Avenir/Dauphinee, something Jan did not need to do it seems. He just went a la Froome out of the blue on a GT podium?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
Let me guess your logic...

As it happens sometimes with me i mixed up one swiss with another (Zülle w/Rominger). I meant Rominger, who shone late at a GT for the first time and at an "old" age like Rijs, Armstrong etc...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Is it a German disease that people do not know how doping works, or is it just because the subject now is der Grossen Jan?

Ulrich robbed? Please, do not insult people. Ulrich robbed others like Gilles Delion of great podium positions Foxy. Made others see epo was needed to be succesfull. Guys like him and Indurain/Riis/pharmstrong or pick a name have made a mockery of cycling.

A guy like Ullrich would never have won a GT in normal circomstances. Not even top 20. Whatever dear old Jeff d'Hont says, that mtf would sell his own mother to get on the good side of certain people, the quack. Mister pot - belge for your info. A drug addict.

I did like your [simplistic] move towards LeMond, let us just say mister LeMond showed himself at l'Avenir/Dauphinee, something Jan did not need to do it seems. He just went a la Froome out of the blue on a GT podium?

I like to trust Tyler Hamilton, KL, D´Hondt and others more than you.
Other than Delion and Bassons, all wannabe champs were doped at least as much as Ullrich.
If Ullrich was crazy like Rijs, Virenque or Pharmstrong he wouldn´t have shown up with a lousy low 40 hct at the TdF. But he was lazy, not a maniac. Otherwise he would have beat them all by his usual 9 mins.
Anyway, 2nd best was enough for him.
And please don´t come up with nonsense that Ullrich only beat guys like Simoni in a backyard ITT-Race last year b/c he was doped again. For what? He just came out of his garage to have some fun. He is/was that good...
Like Anquetil, Hinault and other great champs who showed their talent early.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

Oh yes he did. Coming 100+ at Giro to win the TdF with an illegal helmet. A guy like Armstrong, only preparing for the TdF.
Anyway, i always liked Lemond. Still do. Just wanted to show you your Ullrich nonsense works the same way with your guy.
Just accept the reality: Ullrich was and would be a TdF winner. No matter the circumstances.

Something Jan didn´t do? :eek:
Well, he won the TdS. Just to inform you: Some used/use the DAU, some the TdS as prep for the TdF. But never both together.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
As it happens sometimes with me i mixed up one swiss with another (Zülle w/Rominger). I meant Rominger, who shone late at a GT for the first time and at an "old" age like Rijs, Armstrong etc...
It looks like you mix up certain riders from certain nations more often than you think.

But, whatever suits u man.
I like to trust Tyler Hamilton, KL, D´Hondt and others more than you.
Other than Delion and Bassons, all wannabe champs were doped at least as much as Ullrich.
If Ullrich was crazy like Rijs, Virenque or Pharmstrong he wouldn´t have shown up with a lousy low 40 hct at the TdF. But he was lazy, not a maniac. Otherwise he would have beat them all by his usual 9 mins.
Anyway, 2nd best was enough for him.
And please don´t come up with nonsense that Ullrich only beat guys like Simoni in a backyard ITT-Race last year b/c he was doped again. For what? He just came out of his garage to have some fun. He is/was that good...
Like Anquetil, Hinault and other great champs who showed their talent early.
Classic German response. Apologist. If pharmstrong were a German u would be on his back, for sure.

You guys do not like cycling, you like winning. Winning in the name of.

At least Didi the Devil cheers for everyone.

PS: indeed, you should trust guys like Kevin livestrong, good on you! Maybe you could meet all with Jeff and share a pot belge. Of course out of a bidon. Jeff will know the ingredients.
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Oh yes he did. Coming 100+ at Giro to win the TdF with an illegal helmet. A guy like Armstrong, only preparing for the TdF.
Anyway, i always liked Lemond. Still do. Just wanted to show you your Ullrich nonsense works the same way with your guy.
Just accept the reality: Ullrich was and would be a TdF winner. No matter the circumstances.

Something Jan didn´t do? :eek:
Well, he won the TdS. Just to inform you: Some used/use the DAU, some the TdS as prep for the TdF. But never both together.
You really are the ultimate fanboy, to bad CN wasnt there in those days.

Not normal.

PS: please, at least get your facts straight, you are making a fool out of your self.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It looks like you mix up certain riders from certain nations more often than you think.

But, whatever suits u man.Classic German response. Apologist. If pharmstrong were a German u would be on his back, for sure.

You guys do not like cycling, you like winning. Winning in the name of.

At least Didi the Devil cheers for everyone.

PS: indeed, you should trust guys like Kevin livestrong, good on you! Maybe you could meet all with Jeff and share a pot belge. Of course out of a bidon. Jeff will know the ingredients.

I know cycling before you was born. So don´t guess and take it for knowing.

And you base this statement on what?
What data, what facts, what statements? What results?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

You must be really, really old.

Apologies from me, on behalf of anyone and everyone else, since you obviously know everything that there is to know and have known that since before Elvis.

Just for clarification:

When did you learn about oxygen vector doping? When did you learn about the DDR doping? When did you learn about U of Frieburg?

Before any of us was born?

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Who do you think you are kidding with statements like this:

''Oh yes he did. Coming 100+ at Giro to win the TdF with an illegal helmet.''
[pointing at LeMond in 1989, I was talking about LeMond age 21/22, even ignoring the ludicrous illegal helmet part, lol]

''Something Jan didn´t do?
Well, he won the TdS. Just to inform you: Some used/use the DAU, some the TdS as prep for the TdF. But never both together.''
[Little note for u, der Janus won Suisse in 2004, a full EIGHT years after his big EPO breakthrough]

Too funny. Google on.

Please, explain Jan's carreer. Maybe some people will believe you. Google may be your friend, but please, do the work for us, we are as lazy as Jan was, settling for number two.

webvan said:
@FoxxyBrown1111 - great posts and may I suggest you spare yourself the trouble of reading that troll's idiotic posts by adding him to your ignore list, then you'll get the calm beauty of this :
Hey, how many are on your list by now?

Jan... what a guy!

borisbeckeroktoberfestgolftrophypartylp8hvi_zwxpl.jpg

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Who do you think you are kidding
Fearless,

Your collection of posts are progressing in the abusive column, and some of them are even Racist. Take it easy pal.

There are a few constants here:
1. Your comments are not in any way more believable or accurate than anyone else's.
2. You are not supporting your statements with any fact or data, but demand them from others.
3. There were so many dopers in the Jan era it IS hard to tease out who was better and why they were better.

Personally, I would like to know the biometrics of racers in Jan's era, as I stated earlier... to 'try' to figure out if any one of those doped riders either doped less or had innate physiology to partially explain their skills. Yes Jan is a likable character but that doesn't give him a free pass, he was still a doper. But, why did he dope less in 2000 and 2001? Did he dope as much as Beloki, Lancey...? This is the Jan thread right?

As for the recent theory that more muscular riders benefited from EPO/BBoosting to increase their oxygen extraction...there has been absolutely nothing posted here to suggest just that. And, if everyone knew that getting more muscular would help...why didn't everyone just bulk up their legs (Test, HGH)? The proportion of 'muscularity' to a riders underlying height and weight would have helped all riders if that theory were true. So why didn't they? Only Jan could bulk up muscles? I don't know the answer, but I have made a few calls and when my more learned pals get back to me I will share them here.

Race Radio said:
....yet you are unable to produce anything to support this theory.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Not surprisingly, this thread has generated into assertions backed by virtually no evidence, from either side. I myself will certainly agree with DQ’s agnostic position. I don’t know if Ulle would have won Tours clean or not. I have no problem with people debating the issue based simply on Ulle’s performances at various stages of his career, but this kind of evidence is never going to be decisive.

I note that on another thread recently, RR made the very provocative statement that Moncoutie was not clean. As another poster, I think it was hrotha, noted, if just about anyone except RR had said that, it would have been regarded as trolling. RR gets a pass on this, and I think reasonably so, because of his credibility on this forum. But last I looked, he hadn’t provided any evidence for that, either.

FWIW, I took this up with Frank Day, who started a physiology thread in another part of this forum. Here is part of his response:

I will take a look at this but I can almost assure you what they are saying is complete BS.

The overall effects of EPO would be related to the amount of exercised muscle mass. But, everyone benefits and it is all relative. There simply is no evidence that drugs like EPO do or might affect different riders differently. To make a claim that this explains Armstrong's or Ulrich's dominance is simply pulling hypotheses out of thin air.

He is not completely correct, of course, when he says that there is no evidence that EPO affects riders differently. Someone called him on this, and he modified his response a little:

Well, the dose response to epo may vary, as would be expected, but the response to changing hct should be exactly the same…Except in certain disease states, we would expect all athletes to respond the same to changing concentrations of RBC's.

What Frank is saying here, I believe, is that if two riders have the same HT, they will have the same amount of oxygen delivered to their muscles. This is because, in his view, delivery results from passive diffusion, a purely physicochemical response that is not going to vary from one individual to another. So if, e.g., you have two riders with 50% HTs, they will have the same amount of oxygen delivered to the muscles. If they have the same natural HT, e.g., 42%, they will get the same benefit from EPO in going to 50%.

Still, training can definitely increase oxygen delivery, by increasing the amount of capillaries in close contact with the muscle:

When we are at rest most of the pre-capillary sphincters are closed, increasing the diffusion distance and keeping oxygen concentration at the capillary where it likes to be. As we exercise, additional capillaries open up, increasing blood flow but, more importantly, decreasing mean diffusion distance, increasing oxygen delivery…The key to increasing oxygen delivery is training that increases capillary density and lowers the mean distance between capillary and mitochondria in the skeletal muscle.

All a drug like EPO does is delay this drop.

So no question that riders adding muscle mass do increase capillaries, through training, but at a given HT, they aren’t going to get any more oxygen to these muscles than another rider with less muscle mass and the same HT gets to his muscles—unless they have trained more. IOW, the benefit from increased muscle mass, is at best, independent of any EPO effect. The increased muscle would allow more power with or without EPO. If the rider with more muscle is not better without EPO, there is no reason to believe, following this line of reasoning, that he's going to be better with EPO. Again, assuming the same rise in HT, and the same amount of training.

And at worst, it might allow less, if the blood supply can’t be maintained:

There is one other thing that interferes with such a simplistic interpretation and that is the energy cost of maintaining body elements. To make muscle mass requires substantial energy cost just as it does to make new capillaries. If one doesn't utilize these elements then they will atrophy. That is why it is so difficult to have lots of muscle mass and lots of aerobic capacity, we only have so much time to train these two completely different elements. That is why strength athletes have large muscles but no aerobic capacity, they only train one aspect. And, it is why marathon runners have small muscles and lots of capillaries, they have no need for a lot of muscle strength. Your body composition is dictated by how you train but everything you do has a maintenance cost. If you don't keep using it then the body will let it atrophy, just ask any astronaut after several months in space what has happened to their abilities.

This is one expert’s view. Take it as you will. I don’t repost it as the final word. He supports a view of V02 max that is not universally held by others in the field, and he makes some other points in this thread I don’t entirely agree with. Most importantly, he doesn't mention some other very relevant research in areas outside his specialization. Several studies suggest that EPO may increase angiogenesis—the formation of new blood vessels—under some circumstances. It has also been reported to have negative effects on mitochondrial formation in muscle. These are the kinds of pharmacological effects that one would expect would result in differential responses among individuals. So one could hypothesize, for example, that EPO promotes capillary formation in muscles, and that some riders would develop more capillaries in response to a given dose of EPO (or simply used more of the drug) than others. Or in the case of negative effects, that some riders relatively benefitted from a weaker effect. But even if this were established, and it hasn't been yet, one would still have to show that the kind of body types fitting RR's claim benefitted most. That's a lot to ask.

Another interesting recent study, conducted in animals only, found that EPO had a performance-enhancing effect that was independent of its effect on HT. This effect is mediated by certain areas in the brain. One would only get this effect if EPO were injected IV, of interest in that it was Ferrari's aim to get a rapid turnover of EPO and avoid a positive test that led to IV injections of this drug by riders. Another pharmacological effect that one would expect might exhibit differential responses.

All of this work underscores the complexity of drug effects, and how very difficult it is to say who benefits the most.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
\
All of this work underscores the complexity of drug effects, and how very difficult it is to say who benefits the most.

As expected ... its multifactorial, not clear cut, the muscularis prolificus theory has yet to be proven, and it would be hard to believe that any MD or DS would have been able to pull out a specific management approach to any rider at that time other than to raise HCT, BBoost when possible and get lean.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It appears some would prefer to ignore that doping effects each rider differently. They will ignore Bruyneel, JV and myself when we explain about Hct/Vo2. They will ignore JV and David Walsh, both who have written about how riders with greater muscle density benefit more when the body is flooded with RBC.

instead they will write endless posts that contain little and fall back on Jan was a great guy. Jan was a great guy, who never would have won a Tour without dope.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I was wrong.....

I used to think that Wonderboy had the most deluded defenders. Who knew that Jan had his myth that needed to be protected by rambling nonsense?

Of course Ullrich needed to dope to win the Tour de France. Anybody who wanted to win the Tour de France in Ullrich's era had to dope to win the Tour de France.

The response to this argument is always the ahistorical "what if" argument: The argument that if everybody else was clean and if Ullrich didn't dope, then Ullrich could not have ever won the Tour.

That's two too many "ifs" for me. It's basically just saying: "In my ideal mental world-view of what cycling ought to be, Jan Ullrich could never have won the Tour de France clean."

That argument is fine and dandy, but to insult other posters when they beg to differ is rather ridiculous.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Yes and it is perfectly valid to state that all will not benefit equally. Give me a couple of million bucks and I will tell you in 5 years the answer as to who benefits the most.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:

Difficult for you. Very well understood by those in the sport.

While fans have trouble grasping these facts they have been well known in the sport for years. No amount of endless posts will change that.

You are welcome to ignore the public side of this. Doping doctors of the era had both lance and Jan at times looking like gym rats. Or Bruyneel questioning JV's contractual worth because of his poor Hct/Vo2 ratio. David Walsh writing about the link between muscle density and oxygen delivery.....but there is much more then that. Unlike you I have met and talked to most of the riders, DS, staff and doctors on the team. Talked watts, vam, recovery, and yes blood. The story is almost always the same

The formula is pretty simple. Get as much Oxygen into the blood as possible, allow it to move as freely as possible, insure it is absorbed as quickly as possible by as much muscle as possible.....all while being as light as possible. Riders who bodies reacted favorably to this formula prospered, those who didn't retired.

Race Radio said:
The formula is pretty simple. Get as much Oxygen into the blood as possible, allow it to move as freely as possible, insure it is absorbed as quickly as possible by as much muscle as possible.....all while being as light as possible. Riders who bodies reacted favorably to this formula prospered, those who didn't retired.

There is nothing in this “formula” that suggests riders with more muscle mass are going to respond more favorably to EPO than riders with less mass. The success to climbing has always been known to be “as much muscle as possible.....all while being as light as possible”, long before the EPO era. It's called power/weight ratio. There is nothing new about that at all.

Beginning with the EPO era, every rider has also known that the name of the game is to get as much oxygen into his system as possible. Nothing new about that, either. The only thing novel in this quote is "allow it to move as freely as possible, insure it is absorbed as quickly as possible". Unfortunately, PEDS don’t have any effect on that process—that was one of Frank Day’s points. You don’t change the diffusion gradient simply by packing on more muscle. You can by training and increasing capillary supply, but light riders can do this as well as more muscular ones, and dope-free as well as dopers.

I don’t have access to any of Walsh’s books right now, and one possible relevant link I found doesn't work. But I invite anyone reading this thread who does have access to post any discussion by Walsh of this claim. Where, apparently, he transforms "as much muscle as possible.....all while being as light as possible", into "muscle-bound riders who were inferior riders prior to EPO actually have an advantage with EPO." It’s clear RR is not going to get beyond the “all these people say this, so it must be so” stage. If “it must be so”, there should be scientific evidence for it, theoretical and/or empirical. No amount of endless posts will change that.