• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Zweistein said:
The impression that I have been given by Jan is that he loved to ride but didn't not at all miss all the entanglements that went with be a "professional". He probably couldn't put more distance between himself and professional cycling.

I would really be curious to hear what Iban Mayo would have to say because after he was busted he just dropped out to drive truck. I imagine he saw how the game was played and saw no joy in it, either.

Read this thread. I thought he was truck driving too, but apparently not.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=14064

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
He "hinted" at doping but won't confess. He's a coward. Just wants to slip away and hope he's not asked any questions. Man up, Jan.

Tom T. said:
He "hinted" at doping but won't confess. He's a coward. Just wants to slip away and hope he's not asked any questions. Man up, Jan.

I don't see it the same way...

If he were a coward he wouldn't write a blog where he basically admits to doping ("I was part of that"). He would simply either write nothing about doping or the past or not write a blog full stop.

He's not denying anything. He's not doing a forced confession Rasmussen or Lance style simply because it's the strategically best option. And in doing that he's not making a halfession either...

We all know he did it. We all know he did EPO and blood at some point. I think most of us have a clear understanding he did less so - and his team did less so - than LA and USPS did and that he was a far bigger talent than the American ever was... None of us really needs his confession - yeah, I'd still like it and I'd read it - but, no, at this point I don't think we really need it. He should - of course - tell everything to the proper authorities if there's anything to help clean up the sport.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Ullrich is just somewhat similar to Indurain in that he strongly hints at the doping that occured, including his own use, but keeps it as vague as possible.

Indurain has succeded so far with this approach and maybe Ullrich would like to be seen as a retired champion that just kept up with the necessary procedures implemented by the vast majority of the peloton.

Personally, I like the full-on admissions, Rasmussen style, but Jan seems set on keeping a low profile. So be it.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
Ullrich is just somewhat similar to Indurain in that he strongly hints at the doping that occured, including his own use, but keeps it as vague as possible.

Indurain has succeded so far with this approach and maybe Ullrich would like to be seen as a retired champion that just kept up with the necessary procedures implemented by the vast majority of the peloton.

Personally, I like the full-on admissions, Rasmussen style, but Jan seems set on keeping a low profile. So be it.

He probably will talk about everything at some point. I though think you are forgetting how badly he was cruxified in Germany. After that, who can blame him for not giving a scheisse about professional cycling and just wanting to move on with his life. The rough treatment that Lance has received in the U.S still pales.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zweistein said:
He probably will talk about everything at some point. I though think you are forgetting how badly he was cruxified in Germany. After that, who can blame him for not giving a scheisse about professional cycling and just wanting to move on with his life. The rough treatment that Lance has received in the U.S still pales.

I doubt he'll ever say more, he has paid his fee's and when he retired he retired, never poked back in for a second round. This leaves him out of the headlines and limelight which he seems to not seek unlike other riders of the same era and current. This lack of limelight antics improves his status as far as the fans are concerned if only because they are not constantly reminded of him and his actions/inactions of the past. If other ex-dopers just did the same they'd fair much better as far as public opinion, but instead their constant denials and rhetoric just drive people mad as most know they did dope, even without a non-negative test result.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:

Indeed. So you have Contador treated like royalty in Spain, Armstrong treated like a rock star in USA (although this mentality is slowly changing thanks to the likes of USADA) and yet Ulrich gets crusified in Germany for probably doing much less than what the other two did. And being a gentlemen at the same time.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Bratam said:
Indeed. So you have Contador treated like royalty in Spain, Armstrong treated like a rock star in USA (although this mentality is slowly changing thanks to the likes of USADA) and yet Ulrich gets crusified in Germany for probably doing much less than what the other two did. And being a gentlemen at the same time.

Much less? How do you know that? It's obvious he was doped to the gills for his career, especially '96 and '97. He clearly isn't the sociopath LA is so we can give him points for that. Like someone else said, if another rider said something like that he would be crucified here. Being a gentleman should not enter into the equation.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Tom T. said:
Much less? How do you know that? It's obvious he was doped to the gills for his career, especially '96 and '97. He clearly isn't the sociopath LA is so we can give him points for that. Like someone else said, if another rider said something like that he would be crucified here. Being a gentleman should not enter into the equation.

Well yes, he was probably doped to the gills in 96 and 97, but in 2000, 2001 he was probably much cleaner and possibly even clean. There are reports that he was totally clean in 2000 and 2001. In fact you only have to look at the results of the 1999 TDF blood samples that were retested in 2005, to see that the vast majority of riders (~92%) in that year were EPO free. I suspect 2000 & even 2001 were similar. From 2001, I suspect it became obvious that riders needed to play catch up to Armstrong and his dirty US Postal team.

Hopefully Jan will let us all know the truth one day.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
No way he was clean in 2000 and 2001, you'd have to be naive to believe that. "Much cleaner"????? There aren't degrees of cleanliness, you're either clean or you're not. It's like Boogard claiming he rode the Tour "clean" even after doping the rest of the season. That isn't clean. And remember, Ullrich didn't ride the TDF in 1999.

I actually like Ullrich, I think he's a good man at heart. But we need to apply the same critical eye to all riders from that era and when one of Jan's stature gives these wishy-washy non-confessions it should be viewed with contempt. Being a good guy doesn't give you a free pass.

Tom T. said:
No way he was clean in 2000 and 2001, you'd have to be naive to believe that. "Much cleaner"????? There aren't degrees of cleanliness, you're either clean or you're not. It's like Boogard claiming he rode the Tour "clean" even after doping the rest of the season. That isn't clean. And remember, Ullrich didn't ride the TDF in 1999.

I actually like Ullrich, I think he's a good man at heart. But we need to apply the same critical eye to all riders from that era and when one of Jan's stature gives these wishy-washy non-confessions it should be viewed with contempt. Being a good guy doesn't give you a free pass.

Except that he doesn't owe you anything to begin with.

Tom T. said:

Of course there's degrees of cleanliness, or rather of dirtiness if you want to be pedantic and argue semantics.

Rider A uses EPO to keep his hematocrit stable at its natural 43% level throughout a 3-week race.
Rider B uses EPO to raise his hematocrit from 43% to 58%, and uses HGH, insulin and testosterone on top of that.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
aphronesis said:
Except that he doesn't owe you anything to begin with.

In a way, he owes something to the cycling fans who were watching him ride during his career. Why is that? Because all the cash cyclists receive is solely because millions of poeple want to watch them, and see the advertisements on their shirts, so the sponsors and Tv stations come up with the cash for the riders.
And at least 90% of people watching at the time believed that Jan and others were riding generally clean. If all the pople knew about the extent of doping, the majority of viewers would have left, and with them, the majority of cash that Jan received and which enables him to live a comfortable life right now. And he is a rich man.
All the cash riders recieve is not because they deserve it due to their hard work or being no.1. If no one would be willing to watch, then no matter how good you are and how hard you work, you don't deserve anything.
So yes, Jan owes us all an explanation, because it was we who put money in his pocket.
However he SHOULD NOT be viewed with contempt, regardless of wether he makes a confession or not.