• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting how Jan wsd criticized for lackadaisical winters but at the same time was riding in a race that was fixed from the very beginning. UCI very much wanted Lance to keep winning because they thought it was good for cycling, which is evident from taking bribes and sweeping doping controls under the rug. Jan was ridiculed for being almost content with second place but how is he supposed to feel if the race is fixed. He gets paid and paid well to ride for second place. It is just a job. I was never given the impression that had Jan won the lottery that he would continue being a pro cyclist and continue with the charade. Maybe, he loved cycling when he was an amateur but he seemed to have lost the love for it following 1998.

I know that he doped but he never gave any illusions as to how cycling was. He never threatened anyone or coerced anyone into doping. His retirement was more of a relief for himself than anything. The thing that is unfortunate about this is that we will never truly know his place in the pantheon due to the fact that he doped. People claim he was the most talented cyclist they had ever seen in the amateurs but that doesn't always carry over into the pros. All, I can say is that I wish him well and it is a damn shame he entered the pro scene when he did.

GotDropped said:
It would kinda suck if people like Ulrich came out publicly now, and thus reducing the damage done to Armstrong now that he can just say that everyone was doing it.

But all the main contenders were doing it. That's the truth.

If it is about the truth, we ought to welcome openness. Unless this is the same old hackneyed drama of building the hero up, just to knock him down . . .

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
But all the main contenders were doing it. That's the truth.

If it is about the truth, we ought to welcome openness. Unless this is the same old hackneyed drama of building the hero up, just to knock him down . . .

the so called hero did so much building himself up he didn't need any help....

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
GotDropped said:
It would kinda suck if people like Ulrich came out publicly now, and thus reducing the damage done to Armstrong now that he can just say that everyone was doing it.

Don't say this, droppie.
I am thinking about a big big "Der Jan und der Lenz admit togezer"-show for a long time now. :)
That would be great...just imagine, Lance and Jan sitting there and having barbecue in candlelight in nice ambiente - like in the sporza afterhour.
Telling all the nice and horrible storys to each other and to the people.
Max A. and Max U. delivering a hot duel in bobby cars in the background.
Some nice wine or beer on the table, and they will be relaxed and open.
Eddy is the grillmaster and moderator.

"Jan, you should have attacked that day. I was totally done." "But I didz attack."

"Lance, do you remember when I farted loudly when you were on my wheel gasping for breazz? Yeah, that was a cool fart, but I farted you more often, and because I prefer the silent farts you just didn't notice. Ja, korrekt. Schmelled schtrange sometimes but heard nozzing."

Eddy headshaking in the background and reminding them that camera is on.

"Jan, I always wanted to tell you that you looked really gay in your piggy magenta kit and wearing that earring. - Yezz, thats right, but I couldn't do anything about the colour. But I schtand to that earrings."

"Wow you really pumped in 750ml, Epo and Testo that day? You are so nasty. That's so awesome. I only did 500ml, HGH and Epo."

"Yeah, really cool that Fuentes and Pat told you that you are something special and about all that exclusive stuff, too. But of course we knew from others. Yes, zose amateurs really wanted to fool us."

Eddy brings the Wurst and fresh beer, calling them both amateurs.

"Ahh, ze Wurst is grilled. Danke Eddy. How many, Lance ? - 7 of course. hahaha lol"

Just imagine the TV-rates - it should go into billions.
4 shows, each 2h and at primetime. 2 on Lance's ranch, 2 at the Bodensee in Ulle's garden.
As a big highlight and surprise, Alberto will join them in the final show. Showing up with some good meat as little joke.

btw, as far as hypocrisity and madness goes in last 2 days, it was only a question of time till the poor Ullrich-compassion thread was opened and he is awarded with several wins too, while he is still hoping that they don't take something away from him and while he is still waiting for a judgement about himself. lol :D

Zweistein said:
By winning, do you mean getting out while the getting out is good?

No, by winning I mean that the guy currently on the record books is about to have all of his Palmares removed, squelched, and zeroed out. That is if the sport follows his own suggestion with respect to Ekimov and the 2004 Olympic gold.

Have to give Lance credit. That is one great idea and we should apply it without hesitation.

The 2009 Tour is definitely within the 8 yr retroactive period. Ullrich wins thanks to the generosity and precedence set by Lance.

Go Ulle, go.

Dave.

In a clean field Jan would have smoked anyone: Did he dope yes, but Jan is more of a victim of the doping era then anything else. When more or less equally juiced like the rest he was a freak of nature. Look what he did in 96-98 at such a young age. And even then he was one of the guys who weren't pushing the limits of doping and so on.
From 2000 on while guys like Lance were still jucing to the max Jan was riding the Tour at 42% hamatokrit. The Jan Ullrich of 2001 is maybe the best a rider has ever been without blood doping.
Jan was often cricised for his big gears from 200 onwards but the truth is, he was putting on muscles and pushing those big gears in order to compensate the lack of hämatokrit. In 2006 Jan would have smoke anyone again, as he was finally equally juiced to his competitors again. In his last year Jan wanted to win again, and i don't blame him. Jan didn't cheat on anyone.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I don't think it was the UCI who critiscised him. He just did not arrive at midseason races as fit as others like ( A. Shleck ) but always arrived in good shape for the TDF.
Andy Schleck is climbing like he has a backpack of depleted uranium on his shoulders atm in Cali.

About 3 quarts of red cells down currently methinks...

blackcat said:
Andy Schleck is climbing like he has a backpack of depleted uranium on his shoulders atm in Cali.

About 3 quarts of red cells down currently methinks...

Is it July? I could have sworn it was still May with 5 training weeks until TDF. Stupid me. Despite Phil and Paul's commentary, Schleck is at ATOC for training and nothing more. Most of the Euros are.

But nice try.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Any idea why Jan massacred the TdF field in the first year of the 50% hct limit? I thought maybe Telekom were better at circumventing that rule, but then why did Riis decline so bad?

Tyler'sTwin said:
Any idea why Jan massacred the TdF field in the first year of the 50% hct limit? I thought maybe Telekom were better at circumventing that rule, but then why did Riis decline so bad?

Cause he's a one in a million talent.
According to Jeff D'Hont Ullrich wasn't above 50 in 1996 too.

Plus, competition wasn't that good in 1997.

By the way, i am smelling a comeback.
My man Jan currentlyx looks like he good start the Tour tomorrow:eek::eek::eek:

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
WRONG!

Jan loved an excellent torten! :p

Chances are Jan could have essen whatever he wanted to and still you'd be left in his dust. Enough with the 'overweight' mud slinging. He came in second to a guy doped to the gills, had a borg-like team and could bury positive doping records. All the while had negative propaganda thrown at him and almost beat 'weaklegs' in 2003 on a *** team.

Jan lost so many years and fame to a bully who knows what would have happened to the record books if Tyler, Floyd, JV, GH, FA all fessed up in 2001.

NW

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
Chances are Jan could have essen whatever he wanted to and still you'd be left in his dust. Enough with the 'overweight' mud slinging. He came in second to a guy doped to the gills, had a borg-like team and could bury positive doping records. All the while had negative propaganda thrown at him and almost beat 'weaklegs' in 2003 on a *** team.

Jan lost so many years and fame to a bully who knows what would have happened to the record books if Tyler, Floyd, JV, GH, FA all fessed up in 2001.

NW
If we're rewriting history, it just as easily could've been that Ullrich got busted for doping after winning 6 TdF's or whatever and it became the biggest scandal in cycling history, etc.

imo Ullrich should consider himself very, very lucky - he had a great career, will forever be a Tour winner, made lots of money, and came out of it without too many dents to his reputation and is still generally considered one of the good guys. Could've been much, much worse.

VeloCity said:
If we're rewriting history, it just as easily could've been that Ullrich got busted for doping after winning 6 TdF's or whatever and it became the biggest scandal in cycling history, etc.

imo Ullrich should consider himself very, very lucky - he had a great career, will forever be a Tour winner, made lots of money, and came out of it without too many dents to his reputation and is still generally considered one of the good guys. Could've been much, much worse.
Exactly.

I am and was a huge fan of Jan, loved him as a cyclist. But please, let's not make him the good guy, he was doped in his first succesfull TDF and was doped up before his last (never to be) TDF. Most if not all the stars of the 90's and 00's where jacked up, sure one a bit more then the other.

I have a disliking for Armstrong that he used cancer in his doping-defense, but as far as doping Lance, Hincapie or Ullrich are for me all the same: users, without a good or a bad guy.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:

I cannot entirely disagree with you. BUT, "being generally considered one of the good guys" he probably wouldn't have created a legion of people in and out of the sport that dislike, or even loathe, him. He probably wouldn't have a created a Jan Ullrich Foundation for Sons without Fathers making him millions....you can fill in the rest I'm sure. Clearly he wouldn't have bullied riders, journalists, WADA, the nation of France...

The opposite about Lance is true and that is why so many various people and groups are pursuing him full throttle. Live by the sword...

Ullrich deserved much much more. Hopefully now he can retire in peace and watch LA suffer climbing up his own personal mountain without the help of his borg.

NW

Nah, he was 50 seconds down and after gaining 5 seconds in 5k it stayed level. On the other hand attacking earlier in the pyrenees might have helped, oh well...still the best tour ever for me with 1986 and 1989.

Is that a recent pic? Hope he's not sick.

TRENDING THREADS