• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Any reason we don't have a designated Jan Ullrich thread? :p

Here is an old vid:

U23 weltmeisterschaft Oslo

0,1020,1505236,00.jpg

cyclo.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

Because Der Kaiser is too cool for mere mortals to chat about carelessly. This is the man who drinks beer with roses on his suspenders. This is the man who ate a cream puff halfway up Alpe d'Huez and still beat 40 minutes. This is a man who can sit on a pink sofa in a pink shirt, wearing lycra with his legs spread, next to another man in lycra, and still be cool. We should be so lucky.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jan is GOD!!!!
ullrich.jpg

Damm you Rudy!
hont_ullrich.gif

And a Jan quote

"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners", in response to criticism about his weight.

I would say his withdrawal from the sport under the circumstances was certainly a major part of it. Then the German tv senders jumped on the "anti-doping-anti-cycling" bandwagon, and helped to run it into the ground. Sinkewitz's positive gave it the death blow, and the Gerolsteiner doping cases drove the last nails into the coffin.

Susan

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

Here is an old vid:

U23 weltmeisterschaft Oslo

0,1020,1505236,00.jpg

cyclo.jpg

Well, with the LA thread over 400 posts there's only so much energy left over for threads devoted to one person.

I always liked Der Kaiser. maybe he never reached his full potential, but he sure seemed to enjoy life beyond cycling and what I've seen about him post racing suggests he's just fine without bike racing.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
jan always one of my favorites hes well spoken and not a *** i like that in athletes and despise arrogance and other personality inadequacies that are all to common in many big headed athletes.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I loved him most when he rode for Bianchi in the TdF and dropped Armstrong on that one stage (sorry it's been a while, I really don't know what stage it was) and then fell in the final ITT!

In general I think people liked him because it was easy to identify with him

Boeing said:
great photo

this is actually how I have always "profiled" him. the first image that comes to mind is Jan in Lederhosen and a pastry over Tour weight

Yeah, absolutely brilliant photo.

While living in Tuscany I met and trained with many PT riders. Jan Ullrich was the only one I ever stopped and asked if I could take a photo with him (at the base of Monte Serra). He obliged and was a really nice guy. This was in 2006 mind you, after he'd won the ITT in the Giro and was preparing for the Tour... Imagine someone trying to stop the Lance and asking for an autograph. His bodyguards would probably shoot you. But Jan was just cruising on his own, with a single Audi wagon following him, with just a driver in it (didn't see who it was). And when we stopped to take the picture, the car just whipped around and kept going up the climb while he stood there. Too freaking cool of a guy and an example of what makes cycling such a fan-friendly sport in Europe - accessibility.

Of course I forgot to hit "save" on the stupid camera phone so the picture was lost before I even reached the base of the climb :mad:

Jan and LeMond were my two fav riders.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
I loved him most when he rode for Bianchi in the TdF and dropped Armstrong on that one stage (sorry it's been a while, I really don't know what stage it was) and then fell in the final ITT!

In general I think people liked him because it was easy to identify with him

It was the stage to Ax-3-Domaines, and yes that was one hell of an exciting race! He did get him back on the same climb in 2005 though :)

TRENDING THREADS