• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jasper Philipsen thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Philipsen has a lot of contract offers and, unless some miracle happens, he will leave UAE. His initial move to the Emirates was weird to begin with to me, not exactly paradise for a rider like him. Matxin just bending over for his program demands hasn't done him good in hindsight either. He just rode way too many races between January and July, although he still had a respectable list of results after that. Perhaps he has come to the conclusion that he needs more structure and leadership in his career, because he'd be a godawfully good fit in the Quick-Step system.

Philipsen has a lot of contract offers and, unless some miracle happens, he will leave UAE. His initial move to the Emirates was weird to begin with to me, not exactly paradise for a rider like him. Matxin just bending over for his program demands hasn't done him good in hindsight either. He just rode way too many races between January and July, although he still had a respectable list of results after that. Perhaps he has come to the conclusion that he needs more structure and leadership in his career, because he'd be a godawfully good fit in the Quick-Step system.

As a lead out rider and support in the classics.

Structure and leadership... And people who know what the *** they're doing.

Matxin is a good scout, not a good manager. And that’s an understatement. You can pile up the talents by sweet talking them into joining the program but that doesn't mean you’re a good team for youngsters (yes Pogacar, McNulty,..but those are very individual guys and with huge talent to begin with)

Glad to see Jasper win twice already!

He had a lot of bad luck in the Tour, always being so close.

I still feel sad that he left UAE, because yeah, I like UAE, but he had no future there. They will likely only have teams for GCs in GTs the coming years.

Although it could have been cool this year: Pogacar taking yellow, white and polkadot. Philipsen green.

He can definitely compete in 2 GTs in one season and I think this puts more in perspective the beat down he got in the Tour. I think many underestimate him.
The field in this Vuelta is even worse than at the Tour. The third best sprinter here is Dainese, so the only rival for Philipsen is comeback Jakobsen who participated in a bunch sprint for the first time in a year just one month ago.

The field in this Vuelta is even worse than at the Tour. The third best sprinter here is Dainese, so the only rival for Philipsen is comeback Jakobsen who participated in a bunch sprint for the first time in a year just one month ago.
We’ll see next year but we’re constantly downgrading performances when a rider wins. AF went with him for a reason at the Tour. Not many sprinters do well when they complete two GTs back to back in that their wins or placings drop. And it’s not like Jakobsen was rate poorly as a sprinter before or this is his first race back. His question mark is endurance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS