• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know others can be crash-prone, too. :)

It was a Joke. But i agree with you to some extend that most of these guys from other sports tend to cause quite some crashes.

On the other hand it seems to me that riders coming from other disciplines such as mountainbiking and cross seems to have on average way more handling skills then traditional road cyclists.

anyway, agree that these guys that start cycling at an older age seem to add some additional risks to cycling. But it still makes for some interesting stories haha.

Reactions: BlueRoads
This seems really elitist to me.

Not everyone can learn to ride with the 'skills' in the traditional (read: European) way.

Bunches/peloton contain a reduced amount riders in most places outside of Europe (there's an example above in one of the articles on Jay Vine; a NRS race in Australia may have 60 riders - one third of what you'd see in the Vuelta). Couple that with differing continental geographies (Asia is massive, N.America, S.America, AU/NZ, Africa - all geographically disparate and are less conducive to the development you've outlined above...) Cyclocross isn't as well-developed (yet) outside of Europe. Bike infrastructure also lacks (in most places) compared to the way it's ingrained through-out most of northern Europe.

In any case, Jay came from MTB... so I don't think it's his bike handling. Positioning in the bunch, and confidence with cars and stuff? Absolutely. That can be learned.
So what if it is elitist? Not everyone is born with a genome that allows them to ever earn a living as a professional sportsman. Boo *** hoo. Not everyone is born at a time in history where you can earn a living as a professional sportsman. So *** what?

It's also ableist that you need two legs to be a professional bike rider. Who cares? Either the discrimination has merit or it doesn't. No matter what, the majority will never make it.

I know people won't agree with my opinion, but here it is: I don't really like all these career changers, guys coming from different sports, and people without real road/ bike experience. Actually the only good thing seems to me if they come from mtb or cross. Then they still need to learn to ride in the peloton, but they usually got great bike handling. Most of the guys coming from other sports, or Zwift, or often even track cycling, who lack what others learn in young years, are bad at either bike handling or riding in the peloton or often both.

Everyone crashes. In the past year or two I think all of van Aert, van der Poel, Sagan, Alaphilippe, Nibali have crashed. Bernal crashed badly earlier. But the amount of times / the probability with which some crash is just different. Evenepoel, Woods, Roglic, Vine - they just have their problems. Thankfully they often do this when alone, for instance on a descent, so they don't take others down with them. But all in all it doesn't give me a good feeling.

I wish guys like Vine all the best as people, but I don't like the tendency that more and more people come from more or less outside the sport, without having learned the skills - even more so because I think they are only learnable to a certain degree once you have reached a certain age, even if you have the coordination talent, which guys like Roglic and Evenepoel certainly have. While you can win races without great bike handling, this sport is not about watts alone.

If you haven't ridden bikes from 5 years old onwards you don't deserve to make a career racing them. Got it

I'm actually even more surprised by his performace in today's ITT than on the climb yesterday. Really looking forward to see how much he has improved compared to last year.
I follow him on Strava and he’s been putting in the miles over the break. Looking at last season and the limited racing he had, to do so well in his first GT was quite impressive, I think he’s a rider with a lot of upside.

I think I already posted this in other thread. The opportunity came via Zwift, but Vine was already a semi pro before the competition.

He was 5th in Herald Sun Tour on 2020, just before the Covid pandemic, finishing ahead of well known and established pros and semi-pros (Storer, Ewart, Thomas Lebas aka the south-eastern asian calendar French legend).

He started late into cycling (late teens I think) and had limited road race experience before, but it's not like he was a totally amateur rider who stumbled upon Zwift while being bored during lockdown and casually got a pro contract.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
That was a strong ride to win from the GC group - There is a myth that Jay Vine come straight from E Biking - He rode for a club team Nero Bianchi in 2019 in which he did a limited program with his major result being third in the NZ Classic Stage race won by Aaron Gate, while in 2020 he rode a limited program because of COVID for the Australian CT Nero Continental Team in which he finished 5th GC in the Herald Sun Tour - This race was won by Hindley, with Howson 3rd and Powless fourth - Had limited race days but he rode in good company.

New thumbnail for the thread?
FbBBWz9XwAAn8WH

TRENDING THREADS