• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jayco al-'Ula and its GreenEdge predecessors

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
They have done better so far than most people expected. Much better than some of the so called elite teams. They will get found out in the grand tours I think. That is where the younger riders will struggle but they could still get stage wins with Goss and Gerrans. So far so good for GreenEdge.

Look at the date I posted that - February 9. They've come a long way since then too.

I do think that as the season goes on they'll get found out a bit more and run out of steam - as you say the GTs is where they're pretty weak, so hopefully they can stagehunt and provide a better contribution to their first Tour than Sky or Katyusha (OK, Ivanov got a stage win, but nobody remembers anything they did at that race). Gerrans looks like he's turning into more than just placement fodder - my criticism of him was that he used to attack and pick moves and stagehunt really well, now he seems happy to sit in the pack and come 7th in the finale - but this year he's turning more into the rider he should be.

They've also got a lot riding on some young riders and hitting the ground running. It will be interesting to see if they run out of steam after the Olympics or if those get in the way of some of their road goals; they've had major riders peaking all the way from January, so it may be that they're down to bare bones by the end of the season.

Mission's going very well for them so far, though. Achieving results far in excess of what the unspectacular roster would suggest, thanks to riders making big leaps forward, good solid tactics (something that really hamstrung some of the other new teams in the péloton recently), and occasionally a big old slice of luck (Port-Ainé cancellation).

As far as GT's go, I think the GE riders and team managers have shown that they are going to be get involved and be aggressive in as many places as they can. It is hard to determine yet as we don't know who will be in the teams but I definitely think that Goss is building to a TDF assault with an easier build to his season and it will be interesting to see if GE go for a all round team or one designed for the green jersey. You would think that O'Grady is a definite and Gerrans if he wants too would be also. Maybe a few train riders for Goss, who can also double for the time trials.

I can't speak for all Aussie cycling supporters but most I know are still strong supporters of any Aussie riders, so in a way you can have your cake and eat it too in GT's. Meaning we could watch GreenEdge at TdF going for sprint and TT wins, as well as some of the lumpy stages with others like Renshaw, Matthews, Haussler if they race and then watch other Aussie riders like Cadel, Porte/Rogers, Lloyd in the mountains....once again if they race....so the loss of a genuine GT GC rider at this stage isn't too big a deal.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Punching above their weight thus far. Gerrans is looking good for the Ardennes, I think they'll do fine in GTs, They have enough sprinters to feature in every sprint and Weening, Albasini, Gerrans for stage hunting.

Wilba60 said:
Nice result on the track tonight as well for the GE/Aussie boys with gold and silver. Hepburn just pips Bobridge (reigning World Champ) in the final of the 4000m individual pursuit in a great race. Could be some more time trialling strength coming up after the Olympics when these boys join Durbridge, Meyer, Tuft et al later in the year.

Yeah they can hopefully own the WC TTT:D

Also as long as they sign Dennis at the end of the year i shall be happy.

I like Dennis as well but I have one in front of him in young Caleb Ewan...he could be anything if he keeps progressing. Haven't heard much about him though since the Bay Crits. Looks the perfect replacement for Robbie McEwan.

Any idea who they will select for the Giro?

Libertine Seguros said:
Look at the date I posted that - February 9. They've come a long way since then too.

I do think that as the season goes on they'll get found out a bit more and run out of steam - as you say the GTs is where they're pretty weak, so hopefully they can stagehunt and provide a better contribution to their first Tour than Sky or Katyusha (OK, Ivanov got a stage win, but nobody remembers anything they did at that race). Gerrans looks like he's turning into more than just placement fodder - my criticism of him was that he used to attack and pick moves and stagehunt really well, now he seems happy to sit in the pack and come 7th in the finale - but this year he's turning more into the rider he should be.

They've also got a lot riding on some young riders and hitting the ground running. It will be interesting to see if they run out of steam after the Olympics or if those get in the way of some of their road goals; they've had major riders peaking all the way from January, so it may be that they're down to bare bones by the end of the season.

Mission's going very well for them so far, though. Achieving results far in excess of what the unspectacular roster would suggest, thanks to riders making big leaps forward, good solid tactics (something that really hamstrung some of the other new teams in the péloton recently), and occasionally a big old slice of luck (Port-Ainé cancellation).

Sorry did not notice the date of your post.They are doing well but unless Goss hits his straps they will find it hard to win a stage in the TDF. Gerrans will have some chances if he is still in form but he will be be more closely marked now and will be lucky to get away in a small group unless he can mange to do what Hushovd did the in the TDF last year and try and pinch a stage in the smaller mountain stages which Gerrans has managed to do before. It will be harder on the team if Goss goes for the Green jersey.

karlboss said:
Punching above their weight thus far. Gerrans is looking good for the Ardennes, I think they'll do fine in GTs, They have enough sprinters to feature in every sprint and Weening, Albasini, Gerrans for stage hunting.

Good to see the boys still punching above their weight. I had to resurrect the GE thread as I tried in vain on the Flech Wallonne one. 65 pages of posts and besides myself tipping Albasini and Greenedge mentioning Simon Clarke there was barely a mention of GE....like they were or are an invisible team. In the rare mentions of Albasini post race, the majority of them were either commending him, or Albasini wtf (not sure why the result was as surprise with such strong form leading in, wet weather form and leading the team in the absence of Gerrans).

So well done to the GreenEdge team, owner, directors and team members. I know it wasn't a win but an excellent ride by Albasini as he did seem to get swamped when Rodriguez accelerated and fought on brillliantly to hold second place.

Very exciting Tour of Turkey team in; will be interesting to see how the track boys Meyer and Hepburn go with the big gun sprinters
Aidis Kruopis
Brett Lancaster
Cameron Meyer
Daniel Tekelehaimanot
Jens Mouris
Matt Goss
Michael Hepburn
Robbie McEwen

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Albasini is a very good rider. People shouldn't be surprised that's he performing well, but it is surprising that he's going SO well.

Any news leaked about their Giro lineup?

GE have posted their teams for the remainder of April but no mention yet of the Giro. I remember reading a Fleche preview by Daryl Impey who wrote this;

"These next couple of races leading up to the Giro d’Italia are really important. It will be my first Grand Tour, and I want to get my preparation right. My first WorldTour win was at Pais Vasco two weeks ago and things have been really solid since then. Riding with GreenEDGE is a huge opportunity for me. I’ve had some bad experiences in the past, and my experience with this team couldn’t be any different. I’m really enjoying my time with the team."

This says two things to me, one that he is a definite starter at the Giro and two it goes some way to explaining the form of riders like him and Albasini (Gerrans also for that matter) who are being given more scope and confidence in their riding without any superstars to worry about....just my thought. So if Impey is riding maybe the team he is riding with in the Tour de Romandie could be the Giro team;
Allan Davis
Christian Meier
Daryl Impey
Fumiyuki Beppu
Leigh Howard
Luke Durbridge
Pieter Weening
Travis Meyer

The Hitch said:
Yeah Albasini was awesome but i didn't know he was that awesome. Amazing performance.

I think his win at Catalunya was really devalued in discussion all due to the Stage 3 "issues" but in very tough weather conditions and a supposed weak team he had to defend his lead for 5 tough stages after winning the first two. When you look at those he beat, they are some of the in form riders at the moment;
1 Michael Albasini (SUI) GreenEDGE 24h 15' 45"
2 Samuel Sánchez (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 1' 30"
3 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (BEL) Lotto-Belisol + 1' 32"
4 Daniel Martin (IRL) Garmin-Barracuda + 1' 32"
5 Rigoberto Urán (COL) Team Sky + 1' 32"
6 Damiano Cunego (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 1' 32"
7 Robert Kišerlovski (CRO) Astana + 1' 32"
8 Matteo Carrara (ITA) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 32"
9 Dario Cataldo (ITA) Omega Pharma-Quick Step + 1' 32"
10 Sergio Pardilla (ESP) Movistar Team + 1' 32"

Wilba60 said:
So if Impey is riding maybe the team he is riding with in the Tour de Romandie could be the Giro team

Allan Davis
Christian Meier
Daryl Impey
Fumiyuki Beppu
Leigh Howard
Luke Durbridge
Pieter Weening
Travis Meyer

Goss and Keukeleire were confirmed for the giro months ago, so if plans didn't change, they are in

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Bored, so doing some googling. Found so far:
Matt Goss has said he'll be doing the Giro.
Beppu too.
Jens Keukeleire has it on his schedule on his website.
Tuft and Meier also.

That's all I could find.

So, assuming all the above holds true, it will be something like this:
Goss
Davis
Impey
Meier
Beppu
Weening
Keukeleire
Tuft
+1

I wonder if Bobridge will go the same route as the UK track riders, and do the Giro. I'm assuming it would be too much for Hepburn at this point of his career.

search said:
Goss and Keukeleire were confirmed for the giro months ago, so if plans didn't change, they are in

You could be right, I have no idea who they will select. Goss seems to be aiming for a big assault on the TDF, so wondering if he will do the GT double? I am sure if his form is good that he will be an Aussie favourite for the Olympics as well.

hatcher said:
Bored, so doing some googling. Found so far:
Matt Goss has said he'll be doing the Giro.
Beppu too.
Jens Keukeleire has it on his schedule on his website.
Tuft and Meier also.

I wonder if Bobridge will go the same route as the UK track riders, and do the Giro. I'm assuming it would be too much for Hepburn at this point of his career.

They have Hepburn down for the Tour of Turkey and it will be interesting to see how he goes around the big GE sprinters. I am with you that it could be too much for him and possibly Bobridge as well. I suppose with these two that it will be a balance of racing, not crashing and team interests in the shorter time trials (also have Durbridge for those).

If they build a sprint team around Goss for the TDF, maybe they will look to Albasini for the Giro...?? Add Impey to the names listed above and disregard Goss for a moment, that would be a good fit for Albasini to look after.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
They have Hepburn down for the Tour of Turkey and it will be interesting to see how he goes around the big GE sprinters. I am with you that it could be too much for him and possibly Bobridge as well. I suppose with these two that it will be a balance of racing, not crashing and team interests in the shorter time trials (also have Durbridge for those).

If they build a sprint team around Goss for the TDF, maybe they will look to Albasini for the Giro...?? Add Impey to the names listed above and disregard Goss for a moment, that would be a good fit for Albasini to look after.

Leaving Goss out would be a tough call if he's healthy. Giro-Tour-Olympics seems to be the route most top sprinters are going.

The 9 I put does look a bit one-dimensional, and it would be great to see Albasini there. Wonder how close he is to being over-raced though.

Simon Clarke is one I can't find any race schedule info about. He'd fit nicely.

I am a Clarke fan and am hoping he can get some great results of his own. Talk a week ago when they talked of Gerrans missing La Fleche was that Clarke or Albasini was going to be the 'go to' man....obviously Albasini got the nod but Clarke must be going well to be considered with him. Albasini on the GE site does credit Clarke for delivering him to the key position at the foot of the last climb.

Good list you have posted, I wonder about a couple of things with it;

If Goss races who helps in lead outs? Davis is one obvious one, maybe a Tuft/Davis combo, or Tuft/Impey/Davis set up.
I have something in the back of my mind thinking that Cam Meyer will race in the Giro and if he races Leigh Howard may not be far behind. These two would set up Goss very nicely.

Wilba60 said:
I am a Clarke fan and am hoping he can get some great results of his own. Talk a week ago when they talked of Gerrans missing La Fleche was that Clarke or Albasini was going to be the 'go to' man....obviously Albasini got the nod but Clarke must be going well to be considered with him. Albasini on the GE site does credit Clarke for delivering him to the key position at the foot of the last climb.

Good list you have posted, I wonder about a couple of things with it;

If Goss races who helps in lead outs? Davis is one obvious one, maybe a Tuft/Davis combo, or Tuft/Impey/Davis set up.
I have something in the back of my mind thinking that Cam Meyer will race in the Giro and if he races Leigh Howard may not be far behind. These two would set up Goss very nicely.
Cam Meyer and Leigh Howard working together as leadout men? Could be awesome, they obviously know how to work together from their time racing the Madison. Meyer is coming off track worlds too so should be in decent form. Only issue could be Goss holding their wheels ;)

Congrats to Greenedge and Albasini 2nd @ Fleche is just awesome..Regaurding the giro lineup i agree with most names their but i thought Weening was not riding the giro?But im most likely incorrect"
Goss
Keuklerie
Davis
Albasini
Meyer
howard
impey
clarke
Beppu/Meier/Tuft?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:

Cam Meyer said after the Track Worlds he was down for California (so ruling out Giro) in what listed as a standard TdF lead up, including TdS (though he was unsure if he'd actually get TdF selection at that stage).

Goss will do Giro and probably pull out before the last week or maybe earlier to reset for TdF.

42x16ss said:
Cam Meyer and Leigh Howard working together as leadout men? Could be awesome, they obviously know how to work together from their time racing the Madison. Meyer is coming off track worlds too so should be in decent form. Only issue could be Goss holding their wheels ;)

Hard to say if those two will team up, Meyer has Tour of Turkey coming up and Howard has Romandie....they do finish on the same day, so we will wait for an outcome on the Giro after that. Meyer especially was super impressive in the Worlds and his win in the points race. Goss will get the chance to hang on to some fast men in Turkey though with Meyer and Hepburn there. Also has Kroupis and McEwan in the wings.

PCutter said:
Cam Meyer said after the Track Worlds he was down for California (so ruling out Giro) in what listed as a standard TdF lead up, including TdS (though he was unsure if he'd actually get TdF selection at that stage).

Goss will do Giro and probably pull out before the last week or maybe earlier to reset for TdF.

Sorry missed your post, it came up as I was typing. I like Cam Meyer in either GT, he really is a big future prospect. If he is doing the California Tour then he won't be in the mix as you say for the Giro. Interesting selection options though, would love to see what their early thinking is on TdF.

Maybe they will put one or two in to support Goss in Italy and then build a team around him for the green jersey in France, with Gerrans and Weening...possibly Albasini as well if that is an option.....for the hilly and mountain stages.

hatcher said:
Leaving Goss out would be a tough call if he's healthy. Giro-Tour-Olympics seems to be the route most top sprinters are going.

The 9 I put does look a bit one-dimensional, and it would be great to see Albasini there. Wonder how close he is to being over-raced though.

Clarke is doing the Vuelta. I think your Giro team is spot on. Last rider may be Bobridge for the two weeks, they need him for the TTT.

Their other teams will probably be:

Tour

O'Grady
Goss
Vaitkus
Langeveld
Cooke
Gerrans
Albasini
C. Meyer
Sulzberger

Vuelta

Clarke
Howard
Durbridge
T. Meyer
Davis
Tuft
O'Grady (for a drink)
Dean or Docker if they have recovered from injuries or perhaps Lancaster/Wilson.
Bobridge if he doesn't do the Giro, maybe Hepburn.

hatcher said:

They should definitely save Albasini for the Tour. He'd be a pretty good bet for a stage win and they surely won't put all their eggs in the Goss basket.

Ferminal said:
Clarke is doing the Vuelta. I think your Giro team is spot on. Last rider may be Bobridge for the two weeks, they need him for the TTT.

Their other teams will probably be:

Tour

O'Grady
Goss
Vaitkus
Langeveld
Cooke
Gerrans
Albasini
C. Meyer
Sulzberger

Plenty of good rouleurs there but not really any fast men for Goss in the last KM. Normally Julian Dean would definitely be selected but that's probably very unrealistic now with his injuries. Davis would be the most likely I'd have thought. Isn't Weening supposed to be doing the Tour? In your line-up I'd replace Sulzberger and Langeveld with Davis and Weening.