• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jersey question

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Can I ride with an Euskaltel jersey without being a Basque, or will that just look wierd? Wierd question, but I want to know :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If you translate your name to a biscayan name (i.e. add a lot of x's) and memorize some Biscayan words/sentences, they'll love you. Don't forget, occasionally they also hire spaniards.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
When people wear team kits, their first concern is being seen as a poseur. So I guess you have to ask yourself if you're worried about been seen as an EE poseur, a Basque poseur, or someone with an unusual affinity for orange posuer? ;)

I say go for it. EE is wildly underrepresented in amateur rides. Besides, I'm sure the Rabbobank poseurs would welcome the climbing competition. :p

Go Samu!!!!!!!!

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
Its always a stragne subject wearing pro kit, personally i wouldn't do it. It always looks a bit odd if you go out with all the kit and all the wrong parts like bikes shoes and wheels. Make you look like a bit of a muppet.

Euskatel is largely funded by a big "club." Buying their jerseys helps the team.

Every jersey sale extends the reach of the sponsors' advertising. I would not be too surprised if sponsors look at their team's kit sales to gauge how popular the team is and whether their advertising dollars (euros) are being well spent.

I say go for it. The orange is highly visible and it definitely looks better than the standard hi-vis yellow jersey's on the market. Wear it proudly knowing that your helping promoting a region that truly loves the sport of cycling. I have a Euskadi jersey (cyclo-cross team) that I wear sometimes when I commute in the spring and summer and on solo rides. It's in the colors of the Basque National flag, green with red letters and graphics.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Would you guys also wear the rainbow jersey or the yellow jersey??

I would feel fake wearing thiose jerseys, you have to earn them.

An Euskaltel jersey would be too strange, just do it if you like

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Wear whatever you want and forget about what everyone else may or may not be thinking. You know you're not a pro, right? Just do whatever jersey you decide to wear proud by enjoying the hell out of your ride. Don't be a closeted cyclist/cycling fan any more!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
This is a very interesting topic, because this sort of jersey selection has plagued many cyclists from an ethnic, national, or any other perspective. I'm speaking from the United States, where its much different than in Europe, but still an issue none the less.

The last Euro incident that I can remember is that a Hungarian cyclist got beat up in Romania or Slovakia because he was wearing the Hungarian National Champion jersey of Laszlo Bodrogi when he was riding for Mapei.

I know when I ride here in the US, nobody f*cks with me anytime I wear my red, white, blue BROOKLYN jersey that De Vlaeminck made famous in the 70's 4 ROUBAIX! Little do they know it's an Italian chewing gum. Ha ha! But if you wear World Champ stripes, your a f*ggot. If you wear the Maglia Rosa, your a q*eer. that's the kind of ignorance I have to deal with in the U.S.

Whatever, just ride your bike! As long as it doesn't get you beat up!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wear what ever

I have an Orbea and a beautifu Basque wife! I ride the orange when I have to dance around in traffic, but I really like the older turquoise EE jersey. Alot of riders I know wear their team/club jersey all the time. I also have a Specialized Tarmac, but I don't wear Quick-Step. We roadies can be so pompous, my wife calls us peacocks. Wear what fits and has deep pockets. If you pedal circles and ride a straight line other riders shouldn't ride you about your choice of jersey.

BambinoDoro said:
Would you guys also wear the rainbow jersey or the yellow jersey??

I would feel fake wearing thiose jerseys, you have to earn them.

An Euskaltel jersey would be too strange, just do it if you like

That is not the same question at all. White there is a tradition of not wearing a "champion" jersey if you did not earn it. A pro team jersey is something totally different.

Many Americans seem feel that they look Adonis-like that people will mistake them for pros. Ain't gonna happen.

Buy team clothing helps the team. It helps the sponsors. It is a good thing.

Heck, I use a T-Mobile phone because they supported cycling.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cycling is a team sport - wear your own team or club's colours! If you don't have a club, see about joining one. You might even get the added bonus of having the ability to wrangle for months over your own kit design. All part of the joy of cycling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Halvor said:
Can I ride with an Euskaltel jersey without being a Basque, or will that just look wierd? Wierd question, but I want to know :)

You're a fan, go for it! Support the team you like, just like every other sport, buy and wear the jersey! Cycling is this unique arrogant sport that cracks me up sometimes, amazing and ridiculous all at one time! :D

I used to live in Salt Lake City and I used to see people in EE jerseys all the time. I thought it was odd that there were so many fans there, but I didn't think it was odd that they wore their team's jersey. I don't see any problem with it.

Full disclosure: I used to wear a T-Mobile jersey.

mr. tibbs said:
I used to live in Salt Lake City and I used to see people in EE jerseys all the time. I thought it was odd that there were so many fans there, but I didn't think it was odd that they wore their team's jersey. I don't see any problem with it.

Full disclosure: I used to wear a T-Mobile jersey.

I think EE jerseys are popular because they are so visible. I have a first year Saunier Duval jersey that sticks out in traffic like no other.

The jerseys from Assos or Pearl Izumi do not seem to be as visible.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
BroDeal - are you in the U.S.? I think around the time when Orbea came Stateside sometime in the 90's, I remember seeing a flood of EE jerseys everywhere I rolled.

Too bad Orange Julius doesn't have a team kit.:D I also think there should be more blaze orange kits in the U.S. cyclocross circut. Maybe Remington or S&W as sponsors. :rolleyes: I don't know about ya'll, but most of my Fall riding takes me through active hunting grounds.:eek: BLAZE BABY!!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That is not the same question at all. White there is a tradition of not wearing a "champion" jersey if you did not earn it. A pro team jersey is something totally different.

Many Americans seem feel that they look Adonis-like that people will mistake them for pros. Ain't gonna happen.

Buy team clothing helps the team. It helps the sponsors. It is a good thing.

Heck, I use a T-Mobile phone because they supported cycling.

I agree plus it's really good stuff. BUT I also think 'award' jerseys should not be made and sold. Yellow, pink, WCS, Polkadot, etc.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if other sports have a problem with this? Football fans wear "their" teams colors I don't have a problem with people wearing Pro kit of wearing pokadot, Yellow, Pink or WC or national team colors. Unless you are trying to pretend that you are one of those things but I'm sure no one will be fooled.

I have an Orbea and it is orange I'm thinking I will have to get an EE orange jursey now but to be honest I'm more of an Italian fan then a Spanish/Basque fan. But I love all cycling so it's all good

TRENDING THREADS