• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jessica Zelinka

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Of course you can achieve that physique naturally. The question is: can you achieve that physique naturally in the gym, and at the same time be competitive in an athletic discipline such as pole vault, where speed and agility are called for (in addition to strength)? As you yourself already issued, you need a lot of recovery time to build such muscle weight, which would normally be at the expense of training hours (read: at the expense of speed and agility).

Okay, this is fun now. Constructive.

I don't see that he has put on a lot of weight, and certainly when you look at swimmers, flexibility and added mass are not mutually exclusive.

This guy is probably younger than me, so recovery may not be so long. I can still crank out 3 sets of "squats and milk" in the gym at 40 and recover well enough in between sessions.

Anyways, we're just hypothesizing now, which is fun, and I think this type of transformation is possible in an offseason. I finished my ultra/mountain running season exactly one month ago. My compression shorts in the last race were uncomfortably loose I had lost so much muscle from my hammies and quads during the season. Not a problem now, four weeks later. Again, its just my experience.

RobbieCanuck said:
Have you been to Canada Dave? It is the largest geographical country in the world!

:D

That is a cynical laugh. :rolleyes:

That is a sarcastic smilie.

What did I call you before? You have confirmed it.

That is presumptuous and sarcastic.

The Canadians I know often laugh at their southern neighbour (note the Canadian spelling) due to their commonly poor knowledge of world geography.

Thanks for exposing the fact that some Canadians are at least as compromised.

Here is a fact for you: Canada has the longest coastline in the world.

The quote you cite from Gramantik is an interesting one. Why would he mention WADA at all?

That is me trying to help you with debate skills, and is genuine.

He should be talking about CCES.

For two points, Robbie, who is CCES?

That is cynical.

Dave.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
Lavillenie, new world champion pole vault.
A bit too bulky if you ask me.
WTF sniper? The guy is barely average sized!

RobbieCanuck said:
What really annoys me is when there is not one poster who can bring forward any evidence that Jessica is on the junk...posters who have thousands of posts notched on their belts - DQued, Peddling Squares, Moose, Benoit, Hugh etc.
WFT part deux hoser? I said the photos don't give us any idea about whether or not she dopes.

RobbieCanuck said:
Have you been to Canada Dave? It is the largest geographical country in the world!
WTF?!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
[A break from the Sky washing machine, anyone? ;)]

So, I realise you have to do blood and urine tests during "glow time" to tell if someone is doping - and Galic Ho's brother is 1 cm taller than this woman and 8kg lighter (apparently) but any idea if this is what a 31 year old woman can expect to look like with dedicated training and a good diet?

August 2012 Olympic pent/dec/hept-athlete, Canadian, Jessica Zelinka, born 1981.

Zelinka3_600_547_s.jpg
Is that a birth mark on her thigh? Or is it something else?

Hey this girl has more hair on her arms than I do. I think it is time to visit the LowT center. :eek:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
he used to be a stick, but he's not a stick in 2013
compare the bulky photos i posted on the previous page with these unsuspicious photos from previous years:

des-nerfs-d-acier-incroyable-et-un-talent-fou-renaud-lavillenie-eblouissant-photo-afp.jpg

Renaud_Lavillenie_Turin_2009.JPG

quite a difference.

This picture on the bottom has bothered me.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
why? because his face is not yet showing the signs of excessive HGH abuse?

Dude I have Lunch Box envy! :eek:

I have 3 monitors here at work. I was reading the thread and scrolling through the posts and as I get to your post with pictures -----dudes lunch box was looking at me!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
centri said:
Question what you are questioning, as well. I have no faith in olympic athletes, but picking out PEDers based on a photo, if it isn't ignorance of what can be achieved physically, can very easily be cynicism (thank god for spell correct).

I was the person who introduced photos of other people who have reached that type of musculature clean.

I also qualified the scope of questioning by stating obtaining such a physique is possible clean but the real tell is times. The numbers are always the big tell. The people I gave as a reference for what can be accomplished in a gym, I also added cannot run fast at all. It's when people can do it all that raises alarms.

I also used the example of the Canadian head athletics coach to justify the thread. If a nations HEAD COACH can state and most certainly believes just looking at a persons body leaves you thinking they are doping, then that should be good enough for people to at a minimum raise a question or two. If Robbie weren't a Cannuck, he'd have nothing to say on this matter.

BTW Robbie as I stated, Dear Wiggo started this thread and not D'Queued. You must have missed that in your post redirecting your frustration. So what if he is sarcastic? This place would be very dull without some humour thrown about every now and then. It's actually used as a form of social lubrication...gets people on the same level...not in your case, but that's your choice. Also you take issue with people with lots of posts.

One last thing, there are quite a few new posters with less than 250 posts who have similar attitudes to the guys on your list. The guys you listed have been here for a long time. Long time. The only type of poster I think you'd have a valid point in critiquing based on their post count is people like Dear Wiggo who in less than 6 months have amassed as many posts as I have in 3 and a half years (almost 2K). Think about it. It wouldn't be hard to think such a manner of rapid posting had an agenda or could be labelled a cynical hater. But not the longer term guys. The behaviour isn't there. You're just imagining it. (BTW I think Wiggo just likes posting a lot of stuff to a lot of topics).

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
It wouldn't be hard to think such a manner of rapid posting had an agenda or could be labelled a cynical hater.
or had a lot of time on their hands? or no life? or maybe just don't spend a lot of time thinking about what they write? :D

Hugh Januss said:
Good one Robbie.

Got me Hugh. Are you sure your figures are for Russia as I knew the Soviet Union was the biggest, but after about 1991, when all the "provinces" left Russia per se shrank. But I pay homage to your research. Canada - the second largest geographical country in the world.

Humour and Taking Issue

Galic Ho said:
BTW Robbie as I stated, Dear Wiggo started this thread and not D'Queued. You must have missed that in your post redirecting your frustration. So what if he is sarcastic? This place would be very dull without some humour thrown about every now and then. It's actually used as a form of social lubrication...gets people on the same level...not in your case, but that's your choice. Also you take issue with people with lots of posts.

In my view sarcasm isn't humour. As Oscar Wilde states, “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.” Sarcasm mocks or pays contempt to a person and Zelinka does not deserve that. And as someone says I am a Canucklehead.

I don't post a lot because I have too many other things to do, but when I see a post I don't agree with, especially one that hijacks an issue or in my view is really misplaced, I do. That is why my posts probably disproportionately take issue with people. I also have a bad habit of taking up the argument once challenged because I enjoy the process.

I really don't care if people agree with me or not. I try to be persuasive but sometimes I am not. I have what I think is a critical mind and I love to argue. So be it.

Please don't get me wrong. I enjoy the posts of the thousand posters clubs, because as you say they know and understand the sport. However I sometimes feel they get "jaded" or off topic and say some really assinine things simply because they are so knowledgeable. Cheers.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
In my view sarcasm isn't humour. As Oscar Wilde states, “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.” Sarcasm mocks or pays contempt to a person and Zelinka does not deserve that. And as someone says I am a Canucklehead.

full

is

"sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence,"

RobbieCanuck said:
Got me Hugh. Are you sure your figures are for Russia as I knew the Soviet Union was the biggest, but after about 1991, when all the "provinces" left Russia per se shrank. But I pay homage to your research. Canada - the second largest geographical country in the world.

Yeah, research. Actually 30 seconds worth of google, and Canada, eh, is barely #2.

Russia: 17,075,200 km2 (6,591,027 mi2)
Canada: 9,984,670 km2 (3,854,082 mi2)
United States: 9,631,418 km2 (3,717,727 mi2)

USA, very close.:D

Edit: at the top,
Updated November 09, 2012

TRENDING THREADS