• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Positioning got better. TT got better again. Explosivity also better. Overall better or at least similar to how he was at QS, no?

He is going to the Giro right? If Roglic and Remco will play games with each other, I could see Almeida "stealing" the whole thing as he won't lose that much time in TTs, so he should stay close in GC. Similar to Nibali/Roglic games in 2019 Giro and in the end Carapaz won.

He is going to the Giro right? If Roglic and Remco will play games with each other, I could see Almeida "stealing" the whole thing as he won't lose that much time in TTs, so he should stay close in GC. Similar to Nibali/Roglic games in 2019 Giro and in the end Carapaz won.
Yes he's going to the giro with Vine, Formolo, Covi, Ulissi etc. Before that Catalunya. So he'll have time to learn Rogla riding before the giro lol.

(I think most of the giro riders in all the teams are going to Catalunya? Maybe not Remco though :D)

I just hope he podiums finally.

Last edited:
(I think most of the giro riders in all the teams are going to Catalunya? Maybe not Remco though :D)
Evenepoel and Van Wilder are doing Catalunya.
Positioning got better. TT got better again. Explosivity also better. Overall better or at least similar to how he was at QS, no?
His TT was surprisingly good, but it was a short TT with variable weather conditions, so i'd want to see him in another TT first.

Not lose that much time, is how you want to look at it. If he TT's like he has in Algarve and last year, he's gonna lose 4 minutes to Evenepoel.

He already has leadership in the giro. I don't exactly understand why people keep questioning this particular thing :)

We know that that’s the plan “on the paper”, but in a highly competitive team you still need to show that on the road - on today’s peloton probably only Pogacar, Vingo, Remco and Rogla (if Vingo is not there) will be undisputed leaders with GC ambitions, no matter their form. For instance, if Vine was to continue his good form from the tour down under, if McNulty would have a good spring (and go to Giro), and if Almeida would have contributed to be underwhelming as he was in Algarve, I’m not sure if he would be that much of a leader at the Giro. Possibly the team’s GC rider, but not a leader with a fully dedicated team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
We know that that’s the plan “on the paper”, but in a highly competitive team you still need to show that on the road - on today’s peloton probably only Pogacar, Vingo, Remco and Rogla (if Vingo is not there) will be undisputed leaders with GC ambitions, no matter their form. For instance, if Vine was to continue his good form from the tour down under, if McNulty would have a good spring (and go to Giro), and if Almeida would have contributed to be underwhelming as he was in Algarve, I’m not sure if he would be that much of a leader at the Giro. Possibly the team’s GC rider, but not a leader with a fully dedicated team.

Too funny I was writing this as a response to @CyclistAbi just now. But now I answer both at once instead.

I agree fully with this. But then again I don't expect him to get a lot of support at the giro anyway. So when I say "leader" I mainly mean no one else is the leader above him. Everyone else will definitely go for stages least Almeida suddenly becomes crazy good. Cause that's just how UAE rolls. They want UCI points, it's their nr 1 goal. And knowing that is their goal it makes sense how they ride.

The goal though is weird. Very very weird. What benefit is UCI points over podiums and wins?

Reactions: Sandisfan
He is not better in anything at UAE. He even got worse in TTs since he left QS.
You are wrong. He’s only worsen at itt. He improved in long sustained efforts and he’s recovering some explosiveness back.
He’s only
At the beggining of 2nd season with UAE with different equipment, tactics, training methods. Give him time and wait for that Sierra Nevada training camp next month. A “spy” told me that he will do a very good Giro. BTW don’t forget that without covid he would probably ended up top 3 last year.

I know this is a bit far-fetched, but I have a theory about yesterday.

He wasn't very smart (ended up working for Roglic), but what if he wanted to show the team that he's the strongest after Pogacar?
UAE has questionable leadership roles in every race that's Pogacar-less, so maybe he wanted to let his teammates know that if they work for him, he will deliver.

I know this is a bit far-fetched, but I have a theory about yesterday.

He wasn't very smart (ended up working for Roglic), but what if he wanted to show the team that he's the strongest after Pogacar?
UAE has questionable leadership roles in every race that's Pogacar-less, so maybe he wanted to let his teammates know that if they work for him, he will deliver.
I think he could have picked better moments to prove his point. I doubt continuing to pace for Roglic and close gaps (basically acting as Roglic' last guy after Foss) screams "i need to be undisputed leader". In fact, it screams "i can be a perfect domestique". If he wants to convince the team he can beat (guys like) Roglic, then working for Roglic might not be the best idea.

ALC

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
I actually think he was very clever: he played the “odds game”.
The probability of beating Roglic on GT starting the day 12s behind on a stage that screams Roglic all over it was extremely low so GT second place was realistic the best he could have achieved.
As a consequence, when he finds himself on Roglic’s group with that gap to close the most probable options were:
A) He lets Roglic to do all the work (or most) to close that gap. They succeed. It would obviously puts Almeida in a better position to beat Roglic in a sprint and, who knows, best case scenario could even win the stage and leave Roglic out of the bonis… nonetheless that would not be enough for GT…
B) he lets Roglic do all the work but somehow they don’t succeed… then the fall in GT is inevitable.
C) he feels good (as he clearly did) and decides take things into his own hands - he puts such a high tempo that he manages to close the gap as well as leaving the competition behind - he guarantees second place in GT.
So, from my perspective Almeida read the situation quite well and made the best decision - or at least the one with a higher probability of success…

You are wrong. He’s only worsen at itt. He improved in long sustained efforts and he’s recovering some explosiveness back.
He’s only
At the beggining of 2nd season with UAE with different equipment, tactics, training methods. Give him time and wait for that Sierra Nevada training camp next month. A “spy” told me that he will do a very good Giro. BTW don’t forget that without covid he would probably ended up top 3 last year.
Gonçalo moreira from eurosport portugal?

He is revovering some explosiveness? Are you kidding me? Look at his attacks yesterday and on thursday.....

He is not better in long sustained efforts, and that's factual since is best long sustained efforts were piancavallo and sega di ala in 2020 and 2021. He never did performances like that in 2022.

The conversation of different equipment, training methods are just "excuses". Look at rui costa in the first year on intermache, look at jay vine, started winning in his first race. Look at other gc contenders in the past that improved after moving for another team in the first year. That is not true.

Of course he is going to do a good giro. He will do top 7. That's a good result. Next year he is going to work for pogacar.

Last edited:
A much more plausible explanation on why UAE worked yesterday (for Roglič) is to finish second overall with Almeida. Roglič was there more or less to throw his bike over the line. He didn't get involved otherwise.
It's Roglic first race in half a year. He's had surgery. While he's clearly good, he's not unbeatable. The gap is small, Roglic was only 12s ahead of Almeida in GC yesterday. If there was ever a time you should try to beat Roglic, it would be now. Well, unless you want to wait for him to not be relevant anymore. Settling for 2nd place with victory still within reach, is something i personally don't understand. Especially when ensuring your 2nd place, basically means you forfait your chances to win.

It's Roglic first race in half a year. He's had surgery. While he's clearly good, he's not unbeatable. The gap is small, Roglic was only 12s ahead of Almeida in GC yesterday. If there was ever a time you should try to beat Roglic, it would be now. Well, unless you want to wait for him to not be relevant anymore. Settling for 2nd place with victory still within reach, is something i personally don't understand. Especially when ensuring your 2nd place, basically means you forfait your chances to win.

Of course. In my opinion it would be stupid not to try. On top of that cyclists like Tao seemed to be under the social media narrative. In regards to Roglič. As while Almeida was happy with his performance Tao had some issues. On how it can be Roglič, Roglič, Roglič ... all over again. As YouTube suggestions might have convinced him otherwise.

Jokes aside in my opinion it would be stupid to let BORA take the win. And for UAE and Ineos not to try. Roglič was just being Roglič. Not much you can do about that. If you race you at least have a chance. If you don't then second is the best you can do anyway. More likely finishing third.

Gonçalo moreira from eurosport portugal?

He is revovering some explosiveness? Are you kidding me? Look at his attacks yesterday and on thursday.....

He is not better in long sustained efforts, and that's fatual since is best long sustained efforts were piancavallo and sega di ala in 2020 and 2021. He never did performances like that in 2022.

The conversation of different equipment, training methods are just "excuses". Look at rui costa in the first year on intermache, look at jay vine, started winning in his first race. Look at other gc contenders in the past that improved after moving for another team in the first year. That is not true.

Of course he is going to do a good giro. He will do top 7. That's a good result. Next year he is going to work for pogacar.

I see you have all figured out. Congratulations