• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's enough for being a 2nd class tier GC rider. If he want's to have a chance against the lights of Evenepoel/Roglic he has to improve in that change of pace, i mean if he can which i doubt!
Yeah I agree definitely. But then I don't have those kind of expactations either anymore. I tend to be fan of those struggling. If he gets just one stage win in a GT in this style I'd be happy enough, because it's so insane :joycat:

ALC

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
Right now, and based on what we have seen during this past month, is perfectly clear that Almeida is the top favorite for 3rd place on the Giro.
Besides Remco and Roglic, which are clearly on another level, and unless things change dramatically, I do not see anyone on the Giro’s starting list that will be able to beat him.
Obviously is still over a month away but, as things stand, trust that the odds of him achieving a podium place are quite high…

Well surely he is a strong chance for 3rd in the Giro? It does look like his climbing has improved but at the expense of his TT. But you never know, some riders don't optimize their form until the big show starts either.

Almeida's riding style reminds me a lot of Cadel Evans. For example, the year Cadel won the TdF he wasn't so good in the TT of the Dauphine -lost 1:20 to Tony Martin. In the TdF on the same course Cadel only dropped 7 seconds to Martin who won stage 20. Like Cadel, Almeida is a diesel in the mountains. Pure climbers might look nice and dance on the pedals but they can also waste more energy with constant accelerations. A lot of pure climbers were dusted by Almeida today.

Doubtful he can worry Roglic or Remco but 3rd place looks a realistic possibility and would be vindication for his Covid withdrawal last year.

@groogster

Nah. Lets keep it real. Both Yates and Soler worked for Almeida. To get him on the podium. Almeida cracking Roglič and Evenepoel today and going for the win. In my opinion that was never a realistic option. Not today.

Did you read my post ? I never said he has the level to beat Roglic and Evenepoel but if he keeps this kind of performance (yesterday’s climbing was on the same level as Piancavallo) he will be in the top 3 next Giro. Btw Evenepoel and Roglic yesterday probably did their best career power performances in those type of climbing efforts.

Well surely he is a strong chance for 3rd in the Giro? It does look like his climbing has improved but at the expense of his TT. But you never know, some riders don't optimize their form until the big show starts either.

Almeida's riding style reminds me a lot of Cadel Evans. For example, the year Cadel won the TdF he wasn't so good in the TT of the Dauphine -lost 1:20 to Tony Martin. In the TdF on the same course Cadel only dropped 7 seconds to Martin who won stage 20. Like Cadel, Almeida is a diesel in the mountains. Pure climbers might look nice and dance on the pedals but they can also waste more energy with constant accelerations. A lot of pure climbers were dusted by Almeida today.

Doubtful he can worry Roglic or Remco but 3rd place looks a realistic possibility and would be vindication for his Covid withdrawal last year.
I disagree. On last week of giro 20221 his TT was better and he was climbing better than now. I remember that he was the most stronger on that week, and he dropped bernal some times.
He even break the record of sega di ala.

Giro 2020 he also did some great performances like in piancavallo.

@groogster

Your reply started with "kind off". When you start to reply like that it sort of implies that "much more" could be done.

true, I used the “kind off” at the start of my reply, meaning that yes, I agree partially with you. To a limited extent yes, both individually and team performance UAE was better but still I saw room to improvement in the team tactics yesterday. If Soler went all in after Almeida closed the gap, Evenepoel and Roglic had to make a decision, let him (Soler) go or spend watts to catch him, in the meantime Almeida could be wheelsucking both. It wouldn’t mean that Almeida had the power to be with them until the last meters, but will create a situation where Evenepoel and Roglic had to make a decision concerning Soler, who was not so far behind in GC. Just my thoughts about yesterday’s UAE move of pacing for the podium.

Reactions: noob and CyclistAbi

The drama continues...

"Volta a Catalunya, one of the hardest race weeks ever 3rd GC and Team GC WIN!
I wanna thanks the whole team for everything they have done for me! We weren’t perfect but we learn from mistakes and we can be proud of the week we have done! I guess the next one is Giro D’Italia! Bota Lume "

"We weren't perfect but we learn from mistakes"

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS