• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joe Papp on the BBC

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So Joe, worked for 'the sport's anti doping agency and at the same time sold dopage? I assume he was grassing up his customers? :mad: Sad story, especially as the punishments are so uneaven, sure Joe deserves to do some bird, but so do many more who are lauded as heroes.

Joe in many ways I wish him well. But his motives, to me, aren't always pure. I sometimes get the impression one of the reasons for his coming clean and all that followed was the media spotlight and its ensuing notoriety. I can't get my head around the timing of his testimony, and what he was still actually doing for example. However he is facing into a difficult time and God knows we all make mistakes. I wish the guy the best in light of all this.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Papp sounds genuine to me.

Particularly those who still believe that less than 10% of the peloton is doping will/should be able to learn from this interview.

Hein, where art thou?

Digger said:
Joe in many ways I wish him well. But his motives, to me, aren't always pure. I sometimes get the impression one of the reasons for his coming clean and all that followed was the media spotlight and its ensuing notoriety. I can't get my head around the timing of his testimony, and what he was still actually doing for example. However he is facing into a difficult time and God knows we all make mistakes. I wish the guy the best in light of all this.

I tend to agree with you on Joe. His greatest achievement was his doping and dealing antics not his bicycle racing. He seems to relish the spotlight and his biggest fear is the likelihood he will soon be forgotten. I would even suggest he is shopping these interviews around, I doubt anybody is coming to him.

With all of that said I hope he can avoid jail time. He was a bit player in a much bigger mess that is the sport of cycling. He just happened to catch the eye of the wrong authorities, probably by his own behavior and testimony.

Joe needs to worry about Joe at this point, good luck in July.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
All a bit petty trying to second guess what his motivations are. The only relevant point is whether his current behaviour is beneficial to the sport.

And for me, it is.

Captain_Cavman said:
All a bit petty trying to second guess what his motivations are. The only relevant point is whether his current behaviour is beneficial to the sport.

And for me, it is.

The clinic is full of people guessing about motivations, that must annoy you. If you think busting a bunch of cheating masters and maybe some US pros as highly beneficial then thats cool, hasn't changed the sport one bit IMO.

Califer Hill said:
Not really, if you're dealing drugs you should expect to spend a long time in jail.

I get he was a dealer but he wasn't slinging rock to school kids. He was a at best a middleman for a bunch of people looking to cheat. People that came to him because he knew how and I'm sure he was being opportunistic. I can't recall the specifics but it was not a lot of money, less than $200,000 USD. I assume he had to pay the man from that so he profited way less. By his own words he cooperated with USADA and probably others. I can't see how this warrants anything more than fines and community service.

IMO, he should have to pit for me this cross season and wash my muddy ****. Seems fair.

Califer Hill said:
Not really, if you're dealing drugs you should expect to spend a long time in jail.

I would prefer long jail time for crimes where the victim has no complicity in the crime. i.e. being burgled.

Drug dealers are only able to deal because someone wants to buy their product.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The important part is that it is UP to 10 years not guaranteed 10 years. I would guess that there is recommended tarrifs for the offence then it is up to the judge to decide the final sentence.

According to the BBC article Joe dealt to around 200 people, although it wasn't dealing to kids at school it isn't as though he got a load of gear and decided to sell to a few close friends either.

Edit

And as Joe says himself if we are discourage people from doping we need to start treating the users and the dealers as criminals (which they are) rather than just cheats.

I don't believe anything the guy says. He was on this forum saying there were going to be a bunch of masters racers and more getting busted in the US and what happened? Two no-body masters racers.

Maybe not his fault that USADA (whoever) didn't pursue, but maybe he never had any goods on anyone to begin with........

Where's the beef?

joe1265 said:
I don't believe anything the guy says. He was on this forum saying there were going to be a bunch of masters racers and more getting busted in the US and what happened? Two no-body masters racers.

Maybe not his fault that USADA (whoever) didn't pursue, but maybe he never had any goods on anyone to begin with........

Where's the beef?

I suspect USADA does not have the funding to chase down every low level doper on a bike. I don't doubt the number of customers.

Hanging On

joe1265 said:

Where's the beef?

Maybe the self-important Mr. Papp needs to continually promote himself.

D-Queued said:
Why all the sniping?

If you want to upstage him, perhaps you could become a notorious ex-doper.

Dave.

Being a notorious ex-doper wouldn't be enough. I'd then have to deal, get caught, and snitch to keep my sorry self out of prison. Then I'd have to deal with the legions of people who were revolted by my behavior. Ugh, that sounds disgusting. Not going there.

If Papp had something new to say, that would be different.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
The clinic is full of people guessing about motivations, that must annoy you. If you think busting a bunch of cheating masters and maybe some US pros as highly beneficial then thats cool, hasn't changed the sport one bit IMO.

You think so? I find that in nearly all Clinic subject matter, the motivation isn't in question, it's the actions that are.

Did I say "highly beneficial"? No.

I don't really get why you want argue against things that you just made up. We're all different I suppose.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
I don't really get why you want argue against things that you just made up.
don't feed the trolling, cavman. the firmly-sitting-on-the fence closet fanboy has made up a lot more than what you just noticed...you are not the first nor the second to say this.

to the point of the tread...joe has been shown to cooperate with both the anti-drug authorities and usada. my personal hope is that it gets counted.

joe1265 said:

Where's the beef?

Considering he used to supply a bunch of riders, I'd imagine he has "goods" on all of those ones.

MarkvW said:
Being a notorious ex-doper wouldn't be enough. I'd then have to deal, get caught, and snitch to keep my sorry self out of prison. Then I'd have to deal with the legions of people who were revolted by my behavior. Ugh, that sounds disgusting. Not going there.

If Papp had something new to say, that would be different.

Hearing something new sometimes requires listening to it.

Dave.

python said:
don't feed the trolling, cavman. the firmly-sitting-on-the fence closet fanboy has made up a lot more than what you just noticed...you are not the first nor the second to say this.

to the point of the tread...joe has been shown to cooperate with both the anti-drug authorities and usada. my personal hope is that it gets counted.

Judges know that if they don't reward the snitches, then the cops will never be able to work their way up the supply chain. I doubt that Papp's very long sentencing continuances relate to burning his customers (or at least I hope they don't). I expect the continuances relate to the feds' attempts to go upstream. If Papp burned a major supplier, I hope he gets a big break.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Califer Hill said:

stupid and stupid wow epic. good to know religious people with the mental ability of children are on here. man i wish i was blessed with ignorance and stupidity unfortunately i will have to suffer was gonna lace into this comment but figured why waste mental effort.

pharma industry cigg industry and of course alcohol industry.
your thoughts on them????:rolleyes:

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
In most countries they punish drug dealers and generally they hand out fairly long prison sentences for this. I wasn't stating any opinion of whether this is fair or if i agree with it, i was pointing out that it shouldn't be a surprise that a dealer could face that length of sentence.

python said:

I would call you a closeted fanboy but its pretty obvious you are my biggest fan. No closet for you, on this anyway. I'm in your dome and I freaking love it.

TRENDING THREADS