• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Join the dots? How dirty is Lotto?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Vanendert didn't look anything close to being exhausted.
The guy was fresh like a friggin daisy.

A joke indeed, and Vanendert himself still had the energy to laugh about it while finishing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
And would have won at Luz Ardiden as well if he didnt panic when he saw Schleck. Non winner to cleaning up the biggest stage of the tour so far. Draw your own conclusions.

Libertine Seguros said:
Mikel Nieve had never won before Cotobello last year either. But his wins haven't been subjected to this ridicule.

Not to take away anything of his performance, I would be the last one to do that, but his wins were in another fashion, not riding away from all the favorites on the last mountain.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
2011 14 Saint-Gaudens 168.5 HC Jelle Vanendert Thomas Voeckler 46:04
2007 14 Mazamet 170 HC Alberto Contador Michael Rasmussen 44:08
2004 13 Lannemezan 205.5 HC Lance Armstrong Thomas Voeckler 45:30
2002 12 Lannemezan 198 HC Lance Armstrong Lance Armstrong 45:43
1998 11 Bagnères-de-Luchon 170 HC Marco Pantani Jan Ullrich 43:30*

A

Anonymous

El Pistolero said:
2011 14 Saint-Gaudens 168.5 HC Jelle Vanendert Thomas Voeckler 46:04
2007 14 Mazamet 170 HC Alberto Contador Michael Rasmussen 44:08
2004 13 Lannemezan 205.5 HC Lance Armstrong Thomas Voeckler 45:30
2002 12 Lannemezan 198 HC Lance Armstrong Lance Armstrong 45:43
1998 11 Bagnères-de-Luchon 170 HC Marco Pantani Jan Ullrich 43:30*

youve lost me, why does every line have two riders on it?

So who would've thought before the season that Bert de Clerq and Vanendert would end up with MTF victories against the best (not from early breakaways) at the Giro and the TDF respectively? Some performances are just too good to be true.

maltiv said:
So who would've thought before the season that Bert de Clerq and Vanendert would end up with MTF victories against the best (not from early breakaways) at the Giro and the TDF respectively? Some performances are just too good to be true.

uh, dichotomy alert.

Or...the peloton is simply a lot cleaner (not necessarily less dopers but definitely less doping) which gives clean riders a chance to shine. Given how much slower everyone are climbing than in previous years, I'll go with the latter.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
uh, dichotomy alert.

Personally I think it's a bit of both. On the one hand, the peloton has gotten cleaner. Especially with the ALFD at the head of this year's doping tests, I wouldn't be suprised if the riders are really scared, and take few risks (not completely clean), giving riders who were always quite talented the chance to shine.

On the other hand, because the peloton is cleaner, the people who still hardcore dope (or have some new product) have a much bigger advantage than they had a couple of years ago. This results in a very moderate talent like Vanendert suddenly responding effortlessly to attacks from Andy Schleck. In a 'cleaner' peloton, the efficiency of doping increases.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Personally I think it's a bit of both. On the one hand, the peloton has gotten cleaner. Especially with the ALFD at the head of this year's doping tests, I wouldn't be suprised if the riders are really scared, and take few risks (not completely clean), giving riders who were always quite talented the chance to shine.

On the other hand, because the peloton is cleaner, the people who still hardcore dope (or have some new product) have a much bigger advantage than they had a couple of years ago. This results in a very moderate talent like Vanendert suddenly responding effortlessly to attacks from Andy Schleck. In a 'cleaner' peloton, the efficiency of doping increases.

Contador is probably not juicing as much as he normally is, which makes sense because all eyes are on him.
Evans, on the other hand, he is in the shape of his life, at least that's what his teammates say and also what he is showing up till now. Clearly, Evans is better "prepared" than he ever was. Same for Voeckler and a couple of others.
But you might be right that on the whole there is less heavy doping in the peloton this year.

But we're only half way.
After the Alps we can draw firmer conclusions.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
As I see it Vandender's perfomance in the mountains is also a surprise for OPL. He has lost 12 minutes in the flat stages because he has been used to support JVDB and Gilbert, so his current skills must be a surprise for OPL as well.

a 26 year old who has been having physical problems for the past couple of years finally getting some good performances= doper no doubt

a 32 year old that has always been a good puncher but nowhere near the top level guys in the mountains is all of sudden almost dropping contador and countering all of the schlecks attacks in the mountains= i will give him the benefit of the doubt

sounds logical

btw i am not saying that venenderts performance isn't suspect. it is a suspect performance but imo voecklers is much more.

Parrulo said:
a 26 year old who has been having physical problems for the past couple of years finally getting some good performances= doper no doubt

a 32 year old that has always been a good puncher but nowhere near the top level guys in the mountains is all of sudden almost dropping contador and countering all of the schlecks attacks in the mountains= i will give him the benefit of the doubt

sounds logical

btw i am not saying that venenderts performance isn't suspect. it is a suspect performance but imo voecklers is much more.
I never said he is a doper no doubt. But I can agree that my arguments are quite weak, I'm just saying how I feel, although it doesn't make a lot of sense...maybe I just want to believe in Voeckler.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Gilbert's strong performances this spring.

Very strong Giro ride so far, stage win and lots of attacks from different Lotto riders.

Matt Lloyd and JVDB II scoring 8 on the UCI dirty scale.

While not at Cack/Saxo/Astana levels of sustained dirtiness over the years, is it time to start looking at them a little bit more critically?

Love Phil's new hairstyle. Bet that peroxide REALLY cleans the hair!

maltiv said:

Combined with Gilbert and Van den Broeck of the last 18-24 months.

Feels way too good to be true for me.