• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard Rasmussen, the new alpha mutant

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just came by looking if this is still the thread where Pogi fans let of steam trying to cope with the outcome of this year's TdF. Yes, it is.

(No worries, I think the Pogi clinic thread would explode the same if it was the other way around. Hypocrisy on both sides.)
Why do you believe that people complaining here aren't also complaining about pogie?

Pogacar rode 39 km/h average. That's 1 km/h faster than the Planche des Belles Filles TT, which you will call "rolling" as well of course. Disregarding the huge climb at the end. For comparison: the last Basque prologue that Roglic won, he rode 48 km/h average. That one did indeed have a little ramp at the end. Nowhere close to what we saw on Tuesday though.

The reason a bike change wasn't necessary is that a large part of the climb wasn't that steep. But it was a climb nonetheless. Are you really incapable of seeing nuance?

Straight off the bat, there's nothing inherently wrong with your opinion. It's just cycling & all this stuff until proven otherwise is up for debate, i.e. there's no right or wrong answer. So I'm not going to sit here & act huffy when you prod me with big bad words like 'nuance'.

But, those comparisons between ITT's you mentioned aren't an exact science. Irrespective of the route profile (i.e. mountainous), LPDBF was 36km with a 6km climb. I haven't checked but I reckon the Itzulia ITT prologue Rogla won was much, much shorter. And stage 16 of this TdF 2023 was also a relatively short ITT... which makes the massive gaps something which simply cannot be overlooked, or downplayed.

There's a reason such seconds per km differences haven't been seen since the 1960's. It was neither long enough nor mountainous enough to warrant such enormous time gaps. It's an outlier, aka a statistical anomaly... in a sport where such anomalies invariably lead to one conclusion only: clinical enhancement.

I don't make the rules. Just ask Froome fans, i.e. a rider who went from being a paragon of the "muh cleanz cycling" renewal of the sport in the 2010's to now chilling out on Lance Armstrong's podcast. These dudes all share a common trait: they know what it really takes to win.

Do they do illicit drug tests venously? Usually it’s urine, saliva, sweat, or hair follicles because that lasts longer while venous would be out of the system. It could be a CBC and metabolic panel to see if any doping was involved from previous levels.
Does urine/saliva etc hold the same compounds as blood? I also thought it’s mostly urine tests but aren’t there a lot of things more detectable in blood?

• Haha
Reactions: DenisMenchov
Do they do illicit drug tests venously? Usually it’s urine, saliva, sweat, or hair follicles because that lasts longer while venous would be out of the system. It could be a CBC and metabolic panel to see if any doping was involved from previous levels.
I’m assuming it must be something to do with anti-doping, I don’t believe they would just let him walk around with that visible mark on his arm otherwise, regardless of what it was for

Does urine/saliva etc hold the same compounds as blood? I also thought it’s mostly urine tests but aren’t there a lot of things more detectable in blood?
Usually it leaves the blood fast, that’s why they do urine or the others. That’s why a said maybe it’s CBC and BMP to see how his body is functioning total, and that you can’t get from urine. Which by definition would be anti doping but just seeing Vinge’s lab values to see if they’re in the normal ranges.

Reactions: 46&twoWheels
At this time it's just a circle jerk with the same small group of people trying to cope with Vingo winning the tour. I mean, the attempts on being funny in this thread are horribly below par. I had higher expectations.

I don't get you, why has all doubt torwards Vingegaard and the state of the peloton in general have to be based on having coping issues? Like Gall today apparently did 6,83 w/kg for 19:20. That's normal now. I mean if your take is: there nothing to see here, what exactly is the point of complaining here?

And where do you think urine comes from?!

You need blood to function properly, that's why blood is "more pure", cleans up faster, but toxins and other unnatural stuff go to urine FROM blood. That's why urine is a better option for tests.