• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard Rasmussen, the new alpha mutant

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The befuddling thing about that ITT was how close we expected it to be between the two; how close everyone else were at the first time-check before Pogi already totally demolished them and gave the impression of being on track for another PdBF performance; and then how despite the very fast time by Pogi, Vingegaard just went even faster - as in far faster compared to the rest than we could even imagine beforehand. It was totally cray cray.
And what was more comic was people saying Pogacar rode very slowly in corners (even if he was way faster than the rest) to justify the enormous difference Vingegaard put on Pogacar.

Reactions: Vudy and SHAD0W93
The befuddling thing about that ITT was how close we expected it to be between the two; how close everyone else were at the first time-check before Pogi already totally demolished them and gave the impression of being on track for another PdBF performance; and then how despite the very fast time by Pogi, Vingegaard just went even faster - as in far faster compared to the rest than we could even imagine beforehand. It was totally cray cray.

Yup, my impressions as well. Pogi's first time check gave me hopes but then...at first it seemed Vingo was less fluid on the bike but he just couldn't fully control his power!

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef
Even though I don't like the guy, he deserves credit for significant improvements in mental attributes. You can explain the improvement in physical attributes by 'clinic' factors, but not the mental ones. Otherwise Roglic would have improved at Jumbo.

Vingegaard seems to have been riding almost mistake-free since he became world-beater. I don't think it's a coincidence that Remco, Rog and Ayuso have already hit the asphalt in the Basque race, but he hasn't. He is simply stronger than his opponents in every aspect of the game.

edit: damn, jinxed

Last edited:
Reactions: scribers
Even though I don't like the guy, he deserves credit for significant improvements in mental attributes. You can explain the improvement in physical attributes by 'clinic' factors, but not the mental ones. Otherwise Roglic would have improved at Jumbo.

Vingegaard seems to have been riding almost mistake-free since he became world-beater. I don't think it's a coincidence that Remco, Rog and Ayuso have already hit the asphalt in the Basque race, but he hasn't. He is simply stronger than his opponents in every aspect of the game.

edit: damn, jinxed

Wow, jinx of epic proportions just one day before the big crash!

It's obviously not funny (I was 'laughing' there at the irony of it all) but there's definitely a lesson here for fanboys: don't praise someone's bike handling & 'ability' to avoid crashes... because it'll bite you in the butt. No one is immune or safe. Everyone eventually hits the deck. Even Van der Poel (the greatest bike handler!) had a bad crash in the Olympics 3 years ago.

Vingegaard is quite aggressive with positioning in the bunch for what it's worth. He's always on the front at the end of sprint stages & has no real fear on descents. We'll see whether that changes after Itzulia when he eventually comes back.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Yes, the timing of the comment was very unfortunate. But even so, I still think he improved a lot mentally. Two years ago he even crashed on ascent in Itzulia. Since then I can't remember him making any mistakes until now.
The crash was unfortunate and difficult for the best bike handlers to avoid. Most of the guys in the ditch got taken out by others panic-braking and sliding through the field. Wrong place, wrong time and a shame.

Vingegaard is quite aggressive with positioning in the bunch for what it's worth. He's always on the front at the end of sprint stages & has no real fear on descents. We'll see whether that changes after Itzulia when he eventually comes back.
Won't exactly be the first time in history, where daredevils transform into scarecrows, whereafter things go completely wrong for them on especially technical descents where confidence and a relaxed body are crucial essentials, while a stiff body and nervous handling result in a negative spiral as a consequence.

It takes a very special mindset to pretend like nothing happened and just keep flying down, right on the edge, like Jonas has done on several occasions up to Itzulia crash.

Regarding the Massacre in Combloux, maybe I'm not so much into an Apology of Socrates, however comparisons to justifications have been made.

In addition, I studied Pogi's riding style on the two previous alpine stages, despite him challenging Jonas on several occasions, my impression was that signs of fatigue were beginning to appear heading into the 3rd week (completely logical with Pogi's far from optimal preparations).
This conpared to a much Le Tour prepared Jonas who ½ year in advance mentioned that stages 16+17 would be the ones deciding the Tour, added by a final reconnaissance of the route on the rest day with close reading, while a pool boy just enjoyed life.

It takes quite a bit to discard it all...
(maybe with the aim of putting on the comfortable easy hat of no)

That said, I think - even with marginal gains diet and training optimizations - that the improvements we have witnessed over recent years are really startling, so I maintain my healthy skepticism, quite generally.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think Vingegaard actually wrote a super aggressive ITT. And probably the corners with more risk than Pogacar as well from the looks. So its not completely unreasonably to state this but its unreasonable to make it point that explains the huge gap. Its like what? 2-3s, maybe max 5s over a ITT...
Well, I think he gained 2s on the first corner alone already. So I'd assume he gained more like 20-30s from riding technique on the ITT.

He only gained 31 seconds until the foot of the final climb in that TT, so this would mean he would have ridden a massive negative split.
Maybe slightly, but not massively. What really happened was Pogacar shat his T2-T3 split with a bike change and then exploded in the T3-T4 split because he was on a roadbike having to do >30kph.

And I do think this TT required a negative pacing strategy, op at least leaving off the gas between T1 and T2, which is what Bilbao did and he was basically the best of the humans.

Meanwhile I have to give it to Ciccone for beating Vingegaard on the T2-T3 section. I know he took is super easy on the rest of the ITT, but it's still not trivial at all, and IMO it gives sort of an upper limit of how crazy Vingegaards ITT was.

Maybe slightly, but not massively. What really happened was Pogacar shat his T2-T3 split with a bike change and then exploded in the T3-T4 split because he was on a roadbike having to do >30kph.

And I do think this TT required a negative pacing strategy, op at least leaving off the gas between T1 and T2, which is what Bilbao did and he was basically the best of the humans.

Meanwhile I have to give it to Ciccone for beating Vingegaard on the T2-T3 section. I know he took is super easy on the rest of the ITT, but it's still not trivial at all, and IMO it gives sort of an upper limit of how crazy Vingegaards ITT was.
Nah, da Fishy da best!

You almost convinced me that Vingegaard did an average TT.

Years of experience working for Sky PR.

Reactions: PhiLiz
"PEDs and doping regimes keep getting better as science marches on and anti-doping pressures ease up, resulting in ever-increasing speeds, which means I can sleep tight at night in the belief that my guys weren't cheating every bit as egregiously as today's top riders, that their results were reasonable and fair, and that I alone in this forum was right all along. I will make sure to bring this up whenever possible, lest history remains unrevisioned, as if such a direct comparison was in any way meaningful"

"PEDs and doping regimes keep getting better as science marches on and anti-doping pressures ease up, resulting in ever-increasing speeds, which means I can sleep tight at night in the belief that my guys weren't cheating every bit as egregiously as today's top riders, that their results were reasonable and fair, and that I alone in this forum was right all along. I will make sure to bring this up whenever possible, lest history remains unrevisioned, as if such a direct comparison was in any way meaningful"
Who is that quote from? Interested to know why anti-doping pressures are "easing up"? Might depend on which country you are talking about. The best funded teams' doctors have worked out how to mask rider blood profiles with EPO microdosing to avoid any possibility of an adverse finding that would stand up in court. But even that approach isn't watertight should testers decide to get serious. Hence why, due to a conservative approach by the doctors, peloton climbing speeds generally still have not caught up to those of pre biological passport.

Always hard to compare climbs on different days due to weather, the course and race dynamics. But the Alpe is always a good benchmark IMO. When I read the top riders climbing Alpe D'Huez in the TdF in 38 minutes or less they are getting close - but there is also technological advancements. Even on an 8% climb at 22km/h there is a significant aero benefit from new equipment compared to the 90s. Vingo and Pogi took 39 minutes in 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef