• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Read that he's struggling mentally a bit after the Tour de France. Not sure how accurate it is, but if so, he should take as long a break from the limelight and sport as he needs. I can imagine it can be very very difficult to relax and adjust once you that race is over, especially for someone who seems quite introverted.

It's possible. Still likely once he gets back to training. To put that behind.

This probably doesn't say good things about me, but I find their relationship annoying.

Focus on your relationship.

Read that he's struggling mentally a bit after the Tour de France. Not sure how accurate it is, but if so, he should take as long a break from the limelight and sport as he needs. I can imagine it can be very very difficult to relax and adjust once you that race is over, especially for someone who seems quite introverted.
Last year he didn't want to race the Olympics, as he needed to be fully focused on the Tour, and it'd be too much for him to know that he would have to be ready again straight afterwards. I think that was quite telling.

Correct me if I‘m wrong, but I think Jonas‘ TdF 2022 with an average of more than 42 kms/hr was the fastest TdF ever. I think Lance Armstrong‘s TdF 2005 was the fastest one before 2022 (41.65 kms/hr?)…

So Jonas Vingegaard showed that he is faster, stronger and more powerful than Lance. He sprints better, climbs better, time trials better. The question now will be, can Jonas make it eight in a row (2022-2029)? Can he win more TdF than Lance, and can he win them all in a row?

He proved he‘s faster and stronger than Lance, now he could show that he has more endurance than Lance - by winning TdF ftom 2022 to 2029, every year… :)

And keeping them because he is clean, something Armstrong and his wretched clan were unable to do.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you know them then?

You might as well ask "do you know Harry & Meghan?".

You don't need to know public figures personally to find their use of their relationship for marketing purposes annoying. Because that's what that wouldbe 'famous' photo from the TdF was, i.e. marketing aka pr.

Tbh Vingegaard isn't exactly a talkative open person on social media (definitely compared to something like 90% of the rest of the peloton, including his teammates), so I totally get the public relations department have had to dig & put stuff out there themselves to sell the new TdF champ to the public. Advertising a relationship or family is always the easy option.

A bunch of Boy Scouts on here, as they (used to?) say in the U.S. I agree with Rakham’s take above, and I additionally found his emphasis on talking to his wife over congratulating his competitor (Pogacar) or thanking his team (Roglic, Wout, etc.) to be self-centered and an example of poor leadership. I don’t think he’s a bad person. I’m sure he’s lovely. But that is the impression his actions give, IMO.

Last edited:
A bunch of Boy Scouts on here, as they (used to?) say in the U.S. I agree with Rakham’s take above, and I additionally found his emphasis on talking to his wife over congratulating his competitor (Pogacar) or thanking his team (Roglic, Wout, etc.) to be self-centered and an example of poor leadership. I don’t think he’d a bad person. I’m sure he’s lovely.
I kind of agree, but maybe we’re going to see more and more of that from generations that grew up with a phone in their hands and pay more attention to that than the person sitting in front of them?

A bunch of Boy Scouts on here, as they (used to?) say in the U.S. I agree with Rakham’s take above, and I additionally found his emphasis on talking to his wife over congratulating his competitor (Pogacar) or thanking his team (Roglic, Wout, etc.) to be self-centered and an example of poor leadership. I don’t think he’d a bad person. I’m sure he’s lovely.

Interesting, anyone that holds a view contrary to yours is a BoyScout! I am not sure which personality trait that comment demonstrates.

He is hot property, Jumbo want to use that for sure.

Also another recent article:
Danish cycling association: “We do not understand why Vingegaard does not participate in World Championships”

Last edited:
  • Sad
I can't understand why, after winning the Tour, he isn't going to Worlds. I mean it's not like he had an over extended season. Jumbo wants to keep his powder dry evidently for next season, but there is history and a calendar to respect. If that doesn't mean anything anymore, I can't respect it.

• Wow
I can't understand why, after winning the Tour, he isn't going to Worlds. I mean it's not like he had an over extended season. Jumbo wants to keep his powder dry evidently for next season, but there is history and a calendar to respect.
There's 0 indication that Vingegaard really wanted to go but Jumbo said no.

Either there will be a half serious crack at Lombardia or it will just be some racing miles to restart the engine ahead of 2023. I suspect mainly the latter.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
There's 0 indication that Vingegaard really wanted to go but Jumbo said no.

Either there will be a half serious crack at Lombardia or it will just be some racing miles to restart the engine ahead of 2023. I suspect mainly the latter.
Well then, let's wait for Lombardy. But what shape can he be in without having done much after Paris? Does the team not want other significant matches with his Tour rivals next year, to assauge a fragile mind? Or does it only want Wout in the rainbow jersey?

In 2007 Contador only raced Tour of Missouri after the Tour. In 2009 he didn't at all.

Froome only rode a few races in poor form after the 2013 Tour.

It's just common to not have the hunger for more after a Tour win.
Yea, but Contador was no one day racer, and usually fired all his bullets from March to July, whereas Jonas kept his powder dry till the Dauphine-Tour and has since disappeared. Non è bello.

Vingegaard was 2nd in Tirreno in March. He is no more a one-day racer than Contador was (who was one of the best in Liège in 2010).
But that was then, this is now. With Tadej, Wout, MvdP, Remco etc participating, the Tour winner just should be there! And I frowned upon Contador never considering Worlds seriously. I mean I'm not asking for Paris-Roubaix, but Worlds yes. And I don't like the mysterious big exit. Tadej won Lombardia last year, Roglic went to the Vuelta following big crashes, etc. I don't consider it a positive for the sport that the Tour champ just hangs up his wheels after July, especially after winning for the first time.