• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose someone from the USA would say it's quite close... around 139 Ks, so... good distance for a PNDKR stage.
Maybe what confused you is that "Salling" is also the name of a retail chain, and we do have one of those in Århus.
haha yes exactly why i asked, when I googled it several things from Århus about Salling came up so i was like oh wait.

Cannot answer on how it works in Sweden, but speaking taking out a residental loan in Denmark, the rules states that you are obliged to put down 15% (edit: at minimum as rules states) of the principal from your own pocket and obtain a loan for the 85% reminder, typically 80% as mortgage loan.

Here, however, there is a jumble of options that the various banks in Denmark offer, incl. party as bank loan and party as mortgage loan.

Quite logically, in terms of interest, it is of course worthwhile to make larger deposits with lower current interest rates, if you have the money.

You can always reschedule your loan, which costs a notable fee.

With the rising interest rates after the introduction of the Ukraine war, it has been worthwhile for many owners to do so, consequently shaving off a large part of the principal by rescheduling to a new loan with a higher interest rate, which you ultimately not notice in day-to-day life, as the new amortization model results in circa the same montly rate - well helped by the fact that you can deduct housing interest from housing taxation.

Edit:
And what is the advantage then?
If interest rates drops again, you will have shaved off a good part of your principal and you can convert again with great economical benefit.
However, this is something the banks in Denmark are quite reluctant to negotiate and demands detailed documentation of robust finances of your private economies and meddle in the details of how the money is used.
One could then say that the banks should just obey costumers wishes, but the reason is that in Denmark there are also a number of types of interest-free loans, which many have been caught in and are now left with very suspended finances, some have even had to sell their house in foreclosure. It is bad for the banks' finances, not to speak of the finances on a national level.
Myself I have a colleague who is caught up in it, and who now offers himself all kinds of extra shifts to get out of his cat pain :p
Fortunately, I have always had a rather difficult time with interest-free loans, and fortunately my wife has the same attitude, so we were able to shave off 33% of out principal in the blink of an eye by converting from 1% mortgage interests to 5%.
(The interest rate on offered mortgage loans even reached as low as 0.5% just before the war in Ukraine broke out, but here it was not worthwhile for us to convert from 1% to 0.5% as the conversion fee would've make out loan more expensive when everything is summed up).

Or the simple option, if you are a multi-millionaire like Jonas:
Just deposit the entire amount in cash as a one-off payment :cool:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I must admit some of these are new concepts to me - compensating principal with higher interest rate (that’s what I understood was going on here) is not something I am familiar with. So you have fixed interest rate and then when ECB lifts base rate affecting loan interest rates, you trade your low fixed interest rate for higher variable rate, bank lowers your remaining principal as a reward and you speculate that variable interest rate will go back down and you will profit - did I understand that correctly?

Can you please share here the article where Jonas team doctor says that? I don't remember listen anything about him saying that, and i don't find any news about that.
Actually it was the Senior DS:
Senior directeur sportif Merijn Zeeman has already said Vingegaard will not attend the Visma-Lease a Bike Tour de France altitude training camp in May and played down suggestions that he may start the Grand Boucle even if he is not at his best.

“I don’t think so,” Maassen agreed.

“For Jonas, it’s important to be at 100 per cent to go into the Tour. It's a really hard race. He won it twice and I don't think he wants to go there to be top-10 or whatever. He has to be in his best shape, and we will have to see if that’s realistic in the next few weeks.

“He has to recover from his very bad crash. We will have to see in the next two weeks what progress he makes and then we will make a new plan.”

“Jonas is a special guy. He may recover quickly, but as I said, I am not a doctor and it is far too early to make a decision.”

While he may not be a doctor I can't imagine them putting out this press without reviewing what a doctor has told them. It also makes planning sense to avoid pressuring a generational talent into rushing recovery. How many years did it take Remco to regain his best potential? IMO that question hasn't been answered because he is still getting better but maybe not matching the dreams of his ardent fans.

Senior directeur sportif Merijn Zeeman has already said Vingegaard will not attend the Visma-Lease a Bike Tour de France altitude training camp in May and played down suggestions that he may start the Grand Boucle even if he is not at his best.

“For Jonas, it’s important to be at 100 per cent to go into the Tour. It's a really hard race. He won it twice and I don't think he wants to go there to be top-10 or whatever. He has to be in his best shape, and we will have to see if that’s realistic in the next few weeks.

“He has to recover from his very bad crash. We will have to see in the next two weeks what progress he makes and then we will make a new plan.”

“Jonas is a special guy. He may recover quickly, but as I said, I am not a doctor and it is far too early to make a decision.”

While he may not be a doctor I can't imagine them putting out this press without reviewing what a doctor has told them. It also makes planning sense to avoid pressuring a generational talent into rushing recovery. How many years did it take Remco to regain his best potential? IMO that question hasn't been answered because he is still getting better but maybe not matching the dreams of his ardent fans.
Well, i read those statements but they don’t say that is unlikely Vingegaard will not go to the Tour.

They said everything is possible and a decision will be made more later, based on how his recover, so i guess they will not pressuring him into rushing recovery.

Fortunately the injuries of Vingegaard are less severe than the injuries Evenepoel had.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Fortunately the injuries of Vingegaard are less severe than the injuries Evenepoel had.
How do you figure? Vingegaard broke his collarbone, some ribs, had a lung contusion, and a pneumothorax. Evenepoel had a broken collarbone and scapula. Lung damage with broken ribs > a broken scapula. Ones going to have a lot harder time breathing and exerting themselves compared to the other.

Good, I hope he recovers well and comes back 100% whether its at the Tour or Vuelta, I don't care, just want to see him light it up this year

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I must admit some of these are new concepts to me - compensating principal with higher interest rate (that’s what I understood was going on here) is not something I am familiar with. So you have fixed interest rate and then when ECB lifts base rate affecting loan interest rates, you trade your low fixed interest rate for higher variable rate, bank lowers your remaining principal as a reward and you speculate that variable interest rate will go back down and you will profit - did I understand that correctly?
Now it may well be that I presented it a little too simply.
There is also something called market value and commission - which is completely different when comparing up and down conversions.
otherwise it would quickly end up like the Wild West.

Reactions: Sandisfan
“For Jonas, it’s important to be at 100 per cent to go into the Tour. It's a really hard race. He won it twice and I don't think he wants to go there to be top-10 or whatever.
I wonder how much this is up to him. Do the big stars have so much power that they can decide for themselves whether they should participate or not? It's kind of important for the team and sponsors from the PR and commercial standpoint to have the double reigning champion at the start just to show himself even if he's not in 100% shape even if it is just to hunt for a stage or two and to help one of his team mates get a good result in his place.

I wonder how much this is up to him. Do the big stars have so much power that they can decide for themselves whether they should participate or not? It's kind of important for the team and sponsors from the PR and commercial standpoint to have the double reigning champion at the start just to show himself even if he's not in 100% shape even if it is just to hunt for a stage or two and to help one of his team mates get a good result in his place.
True but also messy to have a Remco Giro ‘21 situation. Way too much drama if they put him in at less than 100%.

True but also messy to have a Remco Giro ‘21 situation. Way too much drama if they put him in at less than 100%.
There is no drama if people are professional and the roles are made clear before hand. I don't think Vingegaards role would be to specifically tow a captain up the mountains anyway. If he was that much stronger than the captain he would likely have a free role to hunt for the stage win in those spots and mainly help the captain earlier if he doesn't have the best of legs comparatively.