• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Tiernan-Locke written to by UCI, asked to explain blood values

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
I'll take some booze coaching from a guy who can hammer 33 units in a night.

Two to three glasses of wine or beers is about my limit these days before I feel it the day after (and often the day after THAT)

....to be fair its only about three bottles of wine...easily done :)

I did that about that two days before Girvan (UK race) a few years back......and to be fair got punted on stage 1 (and 2, 3 and 4) :)

Re:

vedrafjord said:
So he wants to go into coaching? Who wants to get coaching advice from someone who was clearly rubbish when he was off the sauce? Nutrition advice from someone who's 15kg overweight? Or even doping advice from someone who posted a 155.8 off-score? Even old man Horner was able to keep his under 115 as he floated up Angliru.

You mean sports scientists flogging coaching and supplement products are better?

The trick is to get the word "science" into all of all your products and marketing.

Re:

bobbins said:
I love the Facebook replies form his fans and friends saying there is a lot more to his case than ever came out. Yeah, yeah. If Kreuizinger can get off a passport problem JTL must have been off the scale!

Would love to see JTLs numbers from the Manchester test straight after the worlds.

The point JTL raised was he wasn't in a postion to fund his appeal via CAS. Krez via Oleg could have gone all the way to the European Court and threatened to do so thus the UCI gave up. The passport favours the wealthy.

Re: Re:

thehog said:
bobbins said:
I love the Facebook replies form his fans and friends saying there is a lot more to his case than ever came out. Yeah, yeah. If Kreuizinger can get off a passport problem JTL must have been off the scale!

Would love to see JTLs numbers from the Manchester test straight after the worlds.

The point JTL raised was he wasn't in a posting or fund his CAS via CAS. Krez via Oleg could have gone all the way to the European Court and threatened to do so thus the UCI gave up. The passport favours the wealthy.

then why not say this then instead of pretending there was something more sinister behind it. Anyone with half a brain knows he was up to something and it's an insult for him to pretend otherwise.

bobbins said:
thehog said:
bobbins said:

The point JTL raised was he wasn't in a posting or fund his CAS via CAS. Krez via Oleg could have gone all the way to the European Court and threatened to do so thus the UCI gave up. The passport favours the wealthy.

then why not say this then instead of pretending there was something more sinister behind it. Anyone with half a brain knows he was up to something and it's an insult for him to pretend otherwise.

Of course, I don't think those in the know think otherwise. It's more access to the "get out of jail card" is only available for the few...

thehog said:
bobbins said:

The point JTL raised was he wasn't in a postion to fund his appeal via CAS. Krez via Oleg could have gone all the way to the European Court and threatened to do so thus the UCI gave up. The passport favours the wealthy.

one thing that struck me was the timing of the manchester test...would you run tests on someone just after they had ridden the longest and toughest race of their life?...would any test results not be a bit skewiff?

Unless you were looking for something once you knew the UCI had pounced?

gillan1969 said:
thehog said:
bobbins said:

one thing that struck me was the timing of the manchester test...would you run tests on someone just after they had ridden the longest and toughest race of their life?...would any test results not be a bit skewiff?

Unless you were looking for something once you knew the UCI had pounced?

The UCI didn't actually pounce. I believe it was more a parting gift from Pat to Brian. JTL barely had any tests under the passport. It was a speculative hit by the UCI but there you go.... Menchov was the other present from McQuaid for Markov's support to Cookson.

All too funny.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I think he actually has a point that this isn't really fair on Cat 2s and Cat3s to have a recent ex pro entered into their races.

If you think Cat racing and grading in the UK is fair, you've never raced Cat races in the UK :)

He can be moved up at any time, it's right that he shouldn't get stuck in the marquee events straight away.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Racing above Cat 3 these days is pretty tough, the standard is bonkers. There are amateurs training like pros these days. Now of course, the standards are going up due to better knowledge, nutrition, equipment etc. Anyways many events are Elite and Cat 1/2 so JTL can win a few of these and quickly resume his position amongst the hierarchy of the domestic scene.

1024px-Brie_noir.jpg

To go with his whine.

42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
1024px-Brie_noir.jpg

To go with his whine.
But it was ok for Millar to go straight back to the pros?

Millar rode for a pro team. JLT isn't riding for a pro team. Or even a team. He's not raced for a few years and as such hasn't scored any licence points and therefore gets the licence he classifies for.

He can still ride Elite races or 1, 2 cat races.

If he'd not got banned for drink driving he might be able to travel further and get to some better races.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

King Boonen said:
42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
1024px-Brie_noir.jpg

To go with his whine.
But it was ok for Millar to go straight back to the pros?

No, but life isn't fair. Millar had a WT team willing to pay for him didn't he? I'm sure if JTL was joining even a Continental team he'd be given the correct licence, but he isn't so he needs to start where BC decide.

JV did a deal with Millar that meant the team paid his debts and gave Millar a small % of the team ownership. JV was looking for experience, clinical experience and Millar fit the bill.

Re:

The Carrot said:
Racing above Cat 3 these days is pretty tough, the standard is bonkers. There are amateurs training like pros these days. Now of course, the standards are going up due to better knowledge, nutrition, equipment etc. Anyways many events are Elite and Cat 1/2 so JTL can win a few of these and quickly resume his position amongst the hierarchy of the domestic scene.

Yeah, Cat 2 shouldn't be an enormous problem as long as he can find a team. And it's the appropriate category for an Elite that's had two seasons with zero points = two successive category demotions. That Primavera race down in Devon is E/1/2/3 anyway, and there aren't many (any?) races you can't get into with a second cat license - I rode the national championships against Wiggins and Froome with mine ffs.

It just depends what sort of condition he has now. If he cruises off into the distance and wins the Devon race easily then there will be teams prepared to take him to bigger events.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I think he actually has a point that this isn't really fair on Cat 2s and Cat3s to have a recent ex pro entered into their races.

Maybe. He doesn't have to ride total chopper races, although living in the southwest he may do initially because of the travelling and scarcity of events. But it's hardly unknown for ringers to pop up at even very low level events on day licenses and crush everyone, they'll get over it.

TRENDING THREADS