• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Tiernan-Locke written to by UCI, asked to explain blood values

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:
42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
1024px-Brie_noir.jpg

To go with his whine.
But it was ok for Millar to go straight back to the pros?

No, but life isn't fair. Millar had a WT team willing to pay for him didn't he? I'm sure if JTL was joining even a Continental team he'd be given the correct licence, but he isn't so he needs to start where BC decide.

JV did a deal with Millar that meant the team paid his debts and gave Millar a small % of the team ownership. JV was looking for experience, clinical experience and Millar fit the bill.
Can always rely on the clinic regulars to remember the details :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the guy saw wiggins and froome transform and thought "i can do that".
but he hadn't been around long enough for the system to provide him with any sort of protection.
bad luck, and i wish him some better fortune upon his return.

sniper said:
vedrafjord said:
Seems like his preparation had more in common with Bjarne Riis than Wiggins or Froome.
how did wiggins/froome's prep differ from bjarne's?

I imagine Wiggins and Froome were on weight loss/metabolism modulars for that Skeletor look, plus blood bags/EPO microdosing with monitoring to not trip the passport.

JTL had an OFF-score of 155.8 and a HcT of well over 50% (I've seen various figures quoted) which sounds like he was just taking as much EPO as possible.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
sniper said:
vedrafjord said:
Seems like his preparation had more in common with Bjarne Riis than Wiggins or Froome.
how did wiggins/froome's prep differ from bjarne's?

I imagine Wiggins and Froome were on weight loss/metabolism modulars for that Skeletor look, plus blood bags/EPO microdosing with monitoring to not trip the passport.

JTL had an OFF-score of 155.8 and a HcT of well over 50% (I've seen various figures quoted) which sounds like he was just taking as much EPO as possible.
fair enough, though there's also sky's secrecy over froome's pre-2011vuelta data, which can be taken to suggest a variety of things.
speculating that sky had zorzoli on board, they might never have had to worry about tripping the passport.

I imagine you'd still want to keep the values somewhat plausible, something good old Dr Leinders has extensive and coincidental experience in. During the 2006 Tour when Rasmussen won the mountains jersey his Hct/Hgb went from 40.5/13.6 to 38.1/12.3 which is very plausible indeed, and the following year when he was trackstanding his way up HC climbs he finished around 43/14 albeit with a suspicious rise over the 3 weeks.

Anyway the relevance of this to JTL is that his doping seems very amateurish in comparison.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
agreed, good points.
the benefits of getting leinders on board must have been multiple:
- extensive field experience
- speaks dutch so can connect with the dutch riders on the team
- knows his way around saddle sore

Re:

sniper said:
agreed, good points.
the benefits of getting leinders on board must have been multiple:
- extensive field experience
- speaks dutch so can connect with the dutch riders on the team
- knows his way around saddle sore

He was adept at using bathroom scales to weigh riders as well. They are very hard to use, so you need a doping Doctor to show you how to use them.