Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think genetics are that easy, anyway... there was a cyclingweekly article, I think, recently, which talked about making the perfect cyclist like that... but from what I know that's nonsense.
However, a child with two ex-pros as parents should get the best support if wanted and often also some motivation when cycling is so important and present in the family...
I remember reading a Paul Kimmage article in which Jonathan Vaughters claimed Dan Martin was a better cyclist than his cousin, because he had inherited the Roche DNA through his mother, while it was impossible for Nicolas to have gotten it straight from his father. But coming from JV, I expect it to be partially true at best.

The objectives for the end of the season have been defined and choices must be made in this sense.

I would be very proud to wear the jersey of the French team for the next world championships.
I read that as meaning, that you cannot do the Tour, the Olympics - and then be in top shape for a very hard World Championships in Belgium.

I read it as him prioritising trying for a worlds double - and then going for Il Lombardia.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I read that as meaning, that you cannot do the Tour, the Olympics - and then be in top shape for a very hard World Championships in Belgium.

I read it as him prioritising trying for a worlds double - and then going for Il Lombardia.
I guess so, yes. It's a combination of things. He will become a father, that's one thing.

The other thing is simply the calendar + travel. There is still Covid, which will make things a bit more difficult going long distance. TdF ends on 18.7. and the road race will be on the 24th. That's only six days later. So basically it means Tour end, little party and then the next day you will have to travel to Tokyo. Twelve hours flight + seven hours of time difference costs you another day. So not very comfy and definitely a disadvantage against those who will skip the Tour and ride there.

The next thing is the joy of the opening ceremony. It's late on Friday and your big race starts twelve hours later. So you will miss that as well.

I guess so, yes. It's a combination of things. He will become a father, that's one thing.

The other thing is simply the calendar + travel. There is still Covid, which will make things a bit more difficult going long distance. TdF ends on 18.7. and the road race will be on the 24th. That's only six days later. So basically it means Tour end, little party and then the next day you will have to travel to Tokyo. Twelve hours flight + seven hours of time difference costs you another day. So not very comfy and definitely a disadvantage against those who will skip the Tour and ride there.

The next thing is the joy of the opening ceremony. It's late on Friday and your big race starts twelve hours later. So you will miss that as well.
There are a lot of Olympic athletes who are participating in sports on Saturday that never go to the opening ceremonies including many of the swimmers who are swimming on Saturday, esp in the morning heats. As the road race is always the morning after the opening ceremonies the riders would never be at the opening ceremonies.

I doubt this is a disadvantage because under the rules for the 2021 Olympics you can only arrive X amount of days before your event - So you won't have riders arriving 2 weeks early.

ASK THE COMMUNITY