• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems like he does not have the best climbing legs but looking at Milan San Remo his acceleration is as good as ever. Wonder what he will do in the Tour.
Wouldn´t be suprised if he takes yellow in the first 3 days. Stage 2 has the bonus sprint on top of a short climb 9km before the finish line. Tailor-made for a rider like him.

Seems like he does not have the best climbing legs but looking at Milan San Remo his acceleration is as good as ever. Wonder what he will do in the Tour.
Wouldn´t be suprised if he takes yellow in the first 3 days. Stage 2 has the bonus sprint on top of a short climb 9km before the finish line. Tailor-made for a rider like him.

Maybe he will attack there and win the stage with 15 seconds.

It's weird. He could potentially wear yellow till stage 15 and still be no real threat for the overall. To me he is the clear favorite for stage 2 and I can absolutely see him taking stages 4 and 6 as well if they aren't raced hard. He'll have a harder time in the pyrenees but if they are completely controlled and he makes another great descent or two, who knows. It's just really that the stages where selections are definitely going to happen come super late this year so he might be around the top of the gc for quite a long time.

All in all, I think this might be a pretty good tour for him. I think he'll win more than one stage and wear yellow at some point.

It's weird. He could potentially wear yellow till stage 15 and still be no real threat for the overall. To me he is the clear favorite for stage 2 and I can absolutely see him taking stages 4 and 6 as well if they aren't raced hard. He'll have a harder time in the pyrenees but if they are completely controlled and he makes another great descent or two, who knows. It's just really that the stages where selections are definitely going to happen come super late this year so he might be around the top of the gc for quite a long time.

All in all, I think this might be a pretty good tour for him. I think he'll win more than one stage and wear yellow at some point.
He could have a descent tour. Previous years he peaked early for the Spring classics. By the racing progress he did, this year he may really peak during the 3 weeks tour.

Reactions: Naico
Some riders have emerged from the confinement below their expected level, and that's how I felt about Alaf' during the Tour. It looks like the mileage he put in during the three weeks benefitted him. He looked sharp today. And when we see the names in that top-10, what an accomplishment. Bravo Champion!

TRENDING THREADS