• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ah, I don't think you can say cobbles aren't his thing, when last year he initated the winning move and would have been third at worst. Winning Flanders will always be very difficult, and he would need to be at his best, but I think it's within his limits to do it.
He's obviously not bad but just not at his best this spring. I still think it might be better for him to have a clear peak instead of this "I do the whole spring from Strade to Liège on a high level".
I'm not expecting too much from his Ardennes races at this point.

Ah, I don't think you can say cobbles aren't his thing, when last year he initated the winning move and would have been third at worst. Winning Flanders will always be very difficult, and he would need to be at his best, but I think it's within his limits to do it.
He's obviously not bad but just not at his best this spring. I still think it might be better for him to have a clear peak instead of this "I do the whole spring from Strade to Liège on a high level".
I'm not expecting too much from his Ardennes races at this point.

In 2019, he did have a clear peak. He specifically aimed at the March races. Unconventional but it certainly bore fruit. I don't know if his aim is different this year, but I would think that it is.

Ah, I don't think you can say cobbles aren't his thing, when last year he initated the winning move and would have been third at worst.
He seemed mighty strong on Koppenberg and Steenbeekdries this year also, and was in leading 6, but finished 42nd. I think there's too much cobbles, too much riding on the front, pulling, too much wind in the face to his liking. He's too light for this race, this is for more powerful, heavier guys. He can do well, of course, on a good day, but I can't see him winning.

I was joking with the rainbow curse, of course, but it would also be natural to have a dip of form and everything not going your way sooner rather later after performing at a high level over a long period of time. For many different reasons.

But I wouldnt have made the joke either if he had looked great and I dont think he really has so far. He is still making results and is at a solid level where he can win and make some great results, but maybe not in the stellar form that we seen in past couple of years where has pretty much dominated some of these races. Simply being stronger and better than many of the rest.

It could just be a temporary thing before he finds his groove again, but he probably wont have it as "easy" winning right now. Still can for sure and I wouldnt be surprised if he won a couple of these races coming up either. Shutting all us up :D

Man , i have to concede that others are right regarding his form, he looks a shadow of himself. Doesn't follow attacks, when he responds then he responds super late, and just is nowhere to be found when its time to decide the race. Disappointing.

What are you talking about, he finished ahead of Kristian Sbaragli.

He was not too bad, but for his standards it's disappointing, yes.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
He is just not in the greatest of form and it is hard to find it all of a sudden during these weeks or couple months, when the races come close and after each other. Trying to catch-up.

After next Sunday he most likely needs a break to try get ready for the Tour. Hopefully in better shape and form then.

Could just be an off-year, and as jokingly said a while ago "curse of the rainbow jersey" which was premature then but it is more and more starting to look like it.

If this is as "bad" as he can be, he is still at a high level. It would be natural to have a spell where you not at your best after performing and winning a lot of races for a longer period of time. That edge that makes you win them just not there right now for him.

He will hopefully get back to winning ways sooner rather later or at least be able to animate the races a bit more soon, than right now.

• Wow
I think he looked excellent until midway through Tirreno.
His performance on Ventoux was his best climbing performance in long time.
Great effort in Omloop.
Only beaten by a monster version of VDP in Strade.
Even at Tirreno he won the uphill sprint against VDP and Van Aert in Chiusdino.

But then something changed: subpar performance on Prati di Tivo + complete no show in the hilly rainy stage.
And lacking that extra bit in every classic he has raced after.

Honestly if you asked me in early March I would have told you he was ready for his best spring ever. Don't really know what happened.

I think he looked excellent until midway through Tirreno.
His performance on Ventoux was his best climbing performance in long time.
Great effort in Omloop.
Only beaten by a monster version of VDP in Strade.
Even at Tirreno he won the uphill sprint against VDP and Van Aert in Chiusdino.

But then something changed: subpar performance on Prati di Tivo + complete no show in the hilly rainy stage.
And lacking that extra bit in every classic he has raced after.

Honestly if you asked me in early March I would have told you he was ready for his best spring ever. Don't really know what happened.

True, I had attributed it to an overly optimistic season's schedule, but now that you mention it, there was a very sudden dip of form.

TRENDING THREADS