• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But it's a French magazine which gives the award.

Flèche Wallonne + Tour stage (with yellow) + "historical" ride in WC means he'll be in contention. And recency bias does affect this sort of thing.

I hardly think so. This prize has been awarded for many years now, they know not only to look at the WCRR because it's recent...

If Roglic wins Lombardia, he would have a monument, a Grand Tour and an Olympic gold. That would have to put him in contention too.

Reactions: Lui98 and Red Rick
I hardly think so. This prize has been awarded for many years now, they know not only to look at the WCRR because it's recent...

If Roglic wins Lombardia, he would have a monument, a Grand Tour and an Olympic gold. That would have to put him in contention too.
He'd be in contention if he won Lombardia. As would be Alaphilippe and Bernal.
But in the end I think Pog would still get it.

Don't underestimate just how much of a superstar Alaphilippe is in France at the moment (especially this morning). In terms of coverage he's approaching Zidane levels.

But you're right about Roglic re Lombardia.

He is not my favourite rider either but he clearly has something special in these +250km hilly races and was the deserved winner yesterday as he was the strongest and most daring of the big contenders.

As for Velo d'Or I don't think it would be fair given it to a guy with only 4 wins during the year but since he is French it wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

He'd be in contention if he won Lombardia. As would be Alaphilippe and Bernal.
But in the end I think Pog would still get it.
Bernal has 0 upside on Pogacar even if he wins Lombardia.

Alaphilippe won in 2019 which I think was already ridiculous, so I guess he could win it if he wins Lombardia too.

Also apparently he was 3rd in Velo d'Or 2018 when he won Fleche and 2 Tour stages over Froome with Giro win + Tour podium and Dumoulin with 2nd in both Giro and Tour.

So they definitely have an insane hard on for Alaphilippe

Last edited:
Vélo d'Or is a meaningless distinction (same as Ballon d'Or). What happens on the road is what matters.

But talking about meaningless rewards is fun?

If football can have perpetual never-ending Messi versus Ronaldo Ballon D'Or conversations, I don't see why we can't in cycling with the Vélo D'Or.

I'm already prepping to hit the outrage button when my favorite rider doesn't win it.

2019 was ridiculous if you look at results.

MSR + SB + FW isn't close to either TdF + Suisse + PN + Lombardia podium or Vuelta + UAE + Tirreno + Romandie +3rd in Giro. They treated a 5th place in the Tour as basically a win.

Sometimes I wonder why you pretend to forget all about how things actually were during a year and just sit looking at results instead.

It's not like his Tour performances don't deserve to be mentioned too... Even if it didn't end with a podium.

Last edited:
But talking about meaningless rewards is fun?

If football can have perpetual never-ending Messi versus Ronaldo Ballon D'Or conversations, I don't see why we can't in cycling with the Vélo D'Or.

I'm already prepping to hit the outrage button when my favorite rider doesn't win it.

Actually, I would be a bit outraged if my favourite rider did get it.

Last edited:
I don't care much about the Velo d'or (and judging by his vampire photo from then Alaphilippe doesn't either), but we can still discuss who we think should win it. :)

1575302120_1_gross.jpg

• Love
Reactions: noob
Sometimes I wonder why you pretend to forget all about how things actually were during a year and just sit looking at results instead.

It's not like his Tour performances doesn't deserve to be mentioned too... Even if it didn't end with a podium.
It's not like Simon Yates got any credit for his 2018 Giro in the 2018 Velo d'Or. Yates, Froome and Dumoulin all got less credit than Ala that year.

TRENDING THREADS