• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Julian Alaphilippe

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How Alien is Julian Alaphilippe?

• Contador/Nibali (almost plausible)

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • Geraint Thomas (pushing it)

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Armstrong/Froome (over the top)

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • Chris Horner (glows in the dark)

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Vino

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Very suspect that he suddenly is so explosive!
hahaha. You can't make it up.

Person a wins bike race with 'x' skill (tt'ing, climbing, power, whatever)

A few mins later. Clinic thread.

Isn't it dodgy that person a won by x skill.

Give it a rest. Whatever skill is used to gain advantage on a race you guys say it must be suspect. If everyone else punctured you'd say it was suspect they won with performance enhancing tyres.

Reactions: yaco
hahaha. You can't make it up.

Person a wins bike race with 'x' skill (tt'ing, climbing, power, whatever)

A few mins later. Clinic thread.

Isn't it dodgy that person a won by x skill.

Give it a rest. Whatever skill is used to gain advantage on a race you guys say it must be suspect. If everyone else punctured you'd say it was suspect they won with performance enhancing tyres.
Sorry forgot the '/s' at the end of my post

Explosive? Is he taking 60k solo flyers w multiple climbs ahead? For the most part his efforts are shorter in duration and his history has him use a climb or two to sustain distance from his attacking style.
The alien level criteria list..looks pretty funny..w some on the list without confirmed trips to outer space..
if the list is to show a proportionate ratio of dope to performance, Armstrong being the alien specimen w zero human blood in his system at times of victory..I will accept the reference point..So as far as the ability to ride and race a bike, where you find Vino on the list looks misplaced..Contador?
Vino was full gassed..and a pirate should be someplace on a graph. For Americans we had Roberto Gagiolli calling Armstrong's kettle black..both guys fully gased but Lance a better bike racer, better genetic material..So you have to put the availability of drugs,there quality somewhere on the list,but the athletes success has to have a bike racing,physiology component or Landis and Andreau would have been standing on the boxes more often..I never understand the UCI- Wada connections..are you saying that a few riders who you listed on the alien chart are lucky? Smarter than Armstrong? Are\were given a free pass by the people in labs and the control tents and trailers?
I think a sound alien chart should probably have space creatures that pee peed dayglow into the urine sample rather than guessing what color the sample was of let's say Horner..given Horner 's career path..don't see him as overly lucky..
I have to think about cycling w Moser, Bontempi and some eastern talent like Olaf Ludwig..wonder if any of their old piss is in a refrigerator somewhere? Out of curiosity.
I think to lump Julian on the list for fun's sake on the internet is OK..but his name included w Contador,Armstrong and Vino..your list would have to have 1000's of names..Ivan Basso is probably happy you left him off..Landis grinning..
Gilbert is explosive..

He's always been explosive.
The bigger issue is how bad he looked at the Tour and all of a sudden he has last year's form. Last year he had to have been doping. So I agree it was a suspect performance but not due to the explosiveness.
He wasn't as good as he was last year in the Tour, but it's an exaggeration to claim he looked bad. He still got a stage win and wore the yellow jersey a couple of days. Most riders can only dream about that.

Reactions: PrimusPilus12
Nope, all doping aside, he's clearly learned some lessons about timing his form post Tour. I don't see a suspicious turn around (note - I am not saying I see nothing suspicious). He was using the Tour for some specific workouts.

I doubt it. He looked horrible later in the Tour. Also he didn't have much racing before this due to the stoppage. Apparently he's now saying he's not going to Fleche Wallone and may not be going to the Ardennes in general.

I doubt it. He looked horrible later in the Tour. Also he didn't have much racing before this due to the stoppage. Apparently he's now saying he's not going to Fleche Wallone and may not be going to the Ardennes in general.
Okay, so you doubt it and I do not. He pretty clearly had no GC types of ambitions this year. I would also say he probably does not have the same base and his recovery in stage races is nothing like last year.

Okay, so you doubt it and I do not. He pretty clearly had no GC types of ambitions this year. I would also say he probably does not have the same base and his recovery in stage races is nothing like last year.

He also couldn't go stage hunting because his form was that poor later in the race.

Oh last year there is no way he wasn't doped to the gills with what he did.

Someone being this successful in cycling will always have to carry the baggage of doping doubts with him. If we assume there are a lot of doped riders and one wins amazing big races we in a way "have" to doubt him.
That being said I don't see very particularly suspicious things about Alaphilippe. His development, taking his mono into consideration, is extremely linear (not saying that's proof he does not dope...) and even his performances in the Tour last year, although eye-brow-raising, are not completely unconvincing to me, since he trained specifically for the Tour last year, giving up a bit of his sprint of the spring (at least that's what he said, I think), he was clearly cracking in the alps and spent by the Tour-efforts in general.
To me his is a case of "we don't know, but it's not impossible".
About this year, I don't see anything especially suspicious.

I don't think he used more power than WVA.
If you check he often started climbs near front and dropped many places each climb, only to take them back in easiest parts. This way, he procuded way less watts in each climbs. That's why he had more gas than the other, especially WVA who already jumped on 2 or 3 attacks.

Reactions: IndianCyclist
He's always been explosive.
The bigger issue is how bad he looked at the Tour and all of a sudden he has last year's form. Last year he had to have been doping. So I agree it was a suspect performance but not due to the explosiveness.
He didn't look bad at the tour. He looked like he had no patience. If he took a day off (from breakaways) here and there he would have had a lot more oomph on the days he did go into the breaks.

The usual Vayer blurred and edited fake bullsh1t as it always is with him! It's just the logo on his mitts.
175894443_4185744491477910_2115524778296891729_n.jpg

TRENDING THREADS