• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

July 11: Will you watch Stage 8 of the Tour or the Final match of the World Cup?

I was checking on the World cup schedule and the playoffs are overlapping the 1st week of the tour. I personally will not miss the Final Match, even if the Tour gets to its first mountain finish stage....
I'd like know your opinion on this difficult decision to make ..

Susan Westemeyer said:
That's easy. Two tvs. Or watch one on tv and the other on the computer.

Or I will send my husband and son out to watch Germany win that game :D while I watch the Tour for CN.

Susan

Ok. the two Tvs is an option- but how am i going to yell at two screens at the same time? :D:D I imagine I'll be watching the Final match with a lot of friends and probably checking on the tour from my Laptop :)......

I find soccer incredibly tedious. A game where only one goal might be scored during an entire match is not for me. American football is bad with the ten seconds of "action" per minute. The last five minutes of a basketball game seems to last half an hour. Both of those are bad enough, but soccer is in a whole different league of boredom.

BroDeal said:
I find soccer incredibly tedious. A game where only one goal might be scored during an entire match is not for me. American football is bad with the ten seconds of "action" per minute. The last five minutes of a basketball game seems to last half an hour. Both of those are bad enough, but soccer is in a whole different league of boredom.

But I guess that agonizing waiting is where all the excitement of the game comes from--Even in cycling, we get to see sometimes two hours of no action/breakaways at all-and the outcome occurs just at the very end . The problem with Americans watching Football (soccer) is that conflicts with the standard format of an American game broken down in small segments (15 to 20 minutes max), so the fans won't get "easily bored" and the rest is filled with tons of commentaries, advertising, statistics, etc.

Sorry, but as much I love Cycling, Football has been, is an will be "the king of all sports"

A

Anonymous

Since South Africa is in the southern hemisphere, the stage will be on a different day in France. I mean, it will be totally dark in South Africa that time of year anyway. Problem solved.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Since South Africa is in the southern hemisphere, the stage will be on a different day in France. I mean, it will be totally dark in South Africa that time of year anyway. Problem solved.
Lol.
Not exactly, no:cool:

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
If it's an evening kick off they won't clash anyway. France and RSA are in the same time zone but like Susan said, the race will be over.

Trouble is, ITV4 show the highlights from 7 until 8pm....might have to miss the first half hour of the footy :-( - but then I'll already know the result of the TdF stage. Quite torn :(

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

You're right. In fact it will be summer in France and winter in South Africa so there will be difference of 6 months :D

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
they won't clash anyway.

but let's say they did.

then it would all depend the circumstances at the time (how exciting, what sort of stage).

but i'm guessing the football would get the nod most of the time as this is a match that only comes around every fourth year

A

Anonymous

icefire said:
You're right. In fact it will be summer in France and winter in South Africa so there will be difference of 6 months :D

I never thought of that! Dang, I don't know what everyone was so troubled over?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
If England are in the final, the football without doubt. If not I'd probably just flick between the two, bearing in mind there are large periods of boredom in both sports.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
last years tour de france could be more exciting than any soccer world cup. soccer is so boring. you score 1 or 2 goals in 90 minutes and sometimes their is no score for 90 minutes. Australia will go straight out anyway. i think they are up against france and portugal.

It looks like if australia get the world cup bid it will be during our football season (AFL). It's a completely better, different and high scoring game.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

the fact that one goal can be enough to win a game, means the underdog has a better chance of winning. Unlike most high scoring games, where the better team/player comes out on top far more often. i saw some research a couple of years ago backing this up, football being the most difficult sport to make money from on gambling

imo that's one of the main reasons for the game's popularity. you also get highscoring games (highscoring as in an ice hockey score) though, so you never know what to expect when you get to the ground

plus football has room for every sort of person - the tall, lanky ginger fella and the small but tactically clever player. or someone who's great at anticipating, someone who's got great stamina, someone who's very speedy etc, the kid who can handle a ball can play etc.

anyway, those who think football is about the football don't know what they're talking about - it's about having a drink, a laugh and a sing-song with your mates while you're busy hating people for none other logical reason than them being from somewhere else than you.

really, football has it all.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
last years tour de france could be more exciting than any soccer world cup. soccer is so boring. you score 1 or 2 goals in 90 minutes and sometimes their is no score for 90 minutes. Australia will go straight out anyway. i think they are up against france and portugal.

It looks like if australia get the world cup bid it will be during our football season (AFL). It's a completely better, different and high scoring game.

the draw hasn't been made yet :eek:

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
my mistake, i heard on aus' sports radio channel that we will either play france or portugal. sorry about da typo.

typo? you said the same thing twice!! in two different posts!!

australia will end up with either Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia or Switzerland

ONE OF THOSE! so there's a 1 in 8 chance australia will get france, 1 in 8 of getting portugal. and 6/8 of getting some other side

plus, if it is european teams you're interested in, POSSIBLY ONE FROM

England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
typo? you said the same thing twice!! in two different posts!!

australia will end up with either Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia or Switzerland

ONE OF THOSE! so there's a 1 in 8 chance australia will get france, 1 in 8 of getting portugal. and 6/8 of getting some other side

plus, if it is european teams you're interested in, POSSIBLY ONE FROM

England, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain

sorry, they reckon we'll be in the same pool with either portugal or france due to how things are seeded.

TRENDING THREADS