• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So my wrap up:
QS realised they were never going to get the tour team together Remco needed + Remco is fragile, in mind and body + the rest of the team is seriously fading.
Ineos and QS started talking about joining forces. Lefrevre and Bakala both get a way out.
Jumbo/plugge did some thinking of their own and needing sponsors started looking at Quickstep and Soudal. They have Van Aert, who would be a great asset for these Belgian sponsors. They know Roglic is unhappy and on his last legs. What if we could get Remco instead. So they make Lefevre / Bakala a better offer.
Et voila. Remember, at the moment they have better acces to Remco and his manager and can make him (and his best domestiques) a financial offer with amazon money nobody can match. All bases covered.
A team with Wout for the cobbles classiques, Remco for the hilly classiques and JV as the TDF leader.
A team where a serious injury to one of the aces isnt the end of the world.
A team with a leader for any of the 3 GT.
A team with a leader for a TDF with many TT stages.
The big unknown for me is the Amazon deal? How would this impact team JV regarding to sponsors and a budget raise?
But still, with almost guaranteed attention and wins through the season, Soudal and Quick step would be crazy to miss the winning train.
Everybody wins who matters. (that is not the fans)

So my wrap up:
QS realised they were never going to get the tour team together Remco needed + Remco is fragile, in mind and body + the rest of the team is seriously fading.
Ineos and QS started talking about joining forces. Lefrevre and Bakala both get a way out.
Jumbo/plugge did some thinking of their own and needing sponsors started looking at Quickstep and Soudal. They have Van Aert, who would be a great asset for these Belgian sponsors. They know Roglic is unhappy and on his last legs. What if we could get Remco instead. So they make Lefevre / Bakala a better offer.
Et voila. Remember, at the moment they have better acces to Remco and his manager and can make him (and his best domestiques) a financial offer with amazon money nobody can match. All bases covered.
A team with Wout for the cobbles classiques, Remco for the hilly classiques and JV as the TDF leader.
A team where a serious injury to one of the aces isnt the end of the world.
A team with a leader for any of the 3 GT.
A team with a leader for a TDF with many TT stages.
The big unknown for me is the Amazon deal? How would this impact team JV regarding to sponsors and a budget raise?
But still, with almost guaranteed attention and wins through the season, Soudal and Quick step would be crazy to miss the winning train.
Everybody wins who matters. (that is not the fans)
It all falls into place except for the Remco part being a second for the biggest race of the year. That would mean that He accepts it and I don't know for how long. And also for every GT where Jonas will participates. I just don't see it.

Reactions: dennisdy
It all falls into place except for the Remco part being a second for the biggest race of the year. That would mean that He accepts it and I don't know for how long. And also for every GT where Jonas will participates. I just don't see it.
Or Vinge will go Giro some time in the future and Remco gets a shot at the Tour with the team at his disposal and Vinge as super-dom. Pretty much like the Vuelta for JV this year. Easier to win (like Kuss did) having the best team to control and the strongest rider cant/wont attack you, given you are pretty strong yourself that you cant be dropped by anybody else.

Beware of your browser cookies. Amazon will push ads with pictures of Sepp Kuss on you.
Live images of Libertine:
rage-angry.gif

Or Vinge will go Giro some time in the future and Remco gets a shot at the Tour with the team at his disposal and Vinge as super-dom. Pretty much like the Vuelta for JV this year. Easier to win (like Kuss did) having the best team to control and the strongest rider cant/wont attack you, given you are pretty strong yourself that you cant be dropped by anybody else.
I always think of this: Vinge in GT 2-1-1-2, Pogacar, 3 -1-1-2-2, remco: DNF, 1, DNF and 12. The 1 for remco came when no other of the big names was present or finished.
He needs something extra to win a GT: and the best team, and a better stamina over 3 weeks and a more relaxed attitude to racing 3 weeks. So go to the Tour and learn from the team JV and the rider JV. Ride top 5, win a mountain stage, TT or red dot Jersey. Help JV beat pogacar (they need something extra, like roglic in 2022) . Win a giro. Win some other classics. Help Wout to win something. And reasses after 2 years, when he will be only 25 still....

I always think of this: Vinge in GT 2-1-1-2, Pogacar, 3 -1-1-2-2, remco: DNF, 1, DNF and 12. The 1 for remco came when no other of the big names was present or finished.
He needs something extra to win a GT: and the best team, and a better stamina over 3 weeks and a more relaxed attitude to racing 3 weeks. So go to the Tour and learn from the team JV and the rider JV. Ride top 5, win a mountain stage, TT or red dot Jersey. Help JV beat pogacar (they need something extra, like roglic in 2022) . Win a giro. Win some other classics. Help Wout to win something. And reasses after 2 years, when he will be only 25 still....

JV isn’t getting Evenepoel for GTs, they are getting him for everything else.

Evenepoel currently is more like Di Luca. A strong hilly classics rider that can with a Grand Tour if everything goes well, but not the Tour de France so far.

Remco's next goal should be to win the Giro d'Italia. Which is achievable. If he further improves and becomes a legit Tour de France contender, Vingegaard might have won 3 yellow jerseys already.

At one point Vingegaard just goes to the Giro d'Italia to win it as well. Then, Remco has the Tour de France. It is easy and possible to maneuver them past each other.

46-2-1-1-2
That first result was as a 100% domestique. Evenepoel and Pogacar have never had to work for anybody.

He's actually pretty similar to Roglic when he came to Lotto-Jumbo. His trainer really worked on his endurance, he's naturally more of an explosive rider. So Jumbo have done it before... although I think Evenepoel is a bit more bulky than Roglic.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Evenepoel currently is more like Di Luca. A strong hilly classics rider that can with a Grand Tour if everything goes well, but not the Tour de France so far.

Remco's next goal should be to win the Giro d'Italia. Which is achievable. If he further improves and becomes a legit Tour de France contender, Vingegaard might have won 3 yellow jerseys already.

At one point Vingegaard just goes to the Giro d'Italia to win it as well. Then, Remco has the Tour de France. It is easy and possible to maneuver them past each other.
Evenepoel, at 23, has already eclipsed Di Luca's results in the classics. More importantly, the chasm in TT ability means his route to a Tour win looks a lot different, and probably also more realistic than Di Luca's ever did.

I also think this Vuelta was the first real strike against him as a GT GC rider. The 2021 Giro was his first race back after injury and it was never a surprise that he faded, and anyone holding him catching Covid at the Giro against him is a bad-faith actor. That leaves us with two wildly different-in-outcome Vueltas to judge him on, which inherently means you need to speculate a lot as to which of those is the outlier.

Hence why I spoke about development for him.
Yes, but his required development is a lot different than Di Luca's ever was. Not just because of TT ability, but also because Di Luca was still six years away from his first proper GC bid when he was Evenepoel's current age, and won his first and only GT at 31. Which makes it not that great a comparison. Even now, he is a clearly different kind of rider, both within and outside of GTs.