• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They are getting him for everything else, including any GT that Vinge doesnt 100% focus on. They want to compete in every GT.

Vingegaard spoke ot attempting the triple during the Vuelta.

My guess is he won't do it in 2024 on the back of a Tour-Vuelta double, but I'd bet the Tour is the only GT he does in 2024, to set up an attempt at the triple in 2025 (routes permitting). - Obviously if he doesn't win the Tour in 2024 that whole plan will probably get scrapped, unless the loss is due to a freak accident.

But if things go to plan, it will leave Evenepoel and Kuss the Giro/Vuelta as captains in 2024 - but will require both to ride as lieutenants in all 3 GTs in 2025.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
If Remco truly wants to win the Tour, there's no way that he will go to *****-Visma. He would have to accept being number two in any stage race that Jonas wants to ride. It's not in his nature.
They probably wont be doing the same stage-races together, unless it is a GT.

He obviously goes to them, if he wants to win more GTs and especially the Tour. There is no point for him to join them, unless they can pretty much guarantee him that he can win the Tour with them.

Vinge does what the team tells him to do, so he will probably do the Giro-Tour in the future.

Remco will be solely focused on the Tour, which will probably contain +50 km ITT some time soon. Who would be surprised?

He will do a spectacular TT and they have Kuss/Vinge to pace on the climbs. They will get a stage-win somewhere and maybe even able to finish on the podium together, as compensation.

They will work with Remco to find out his limits and what he will have to do climbing-wise. Once that is sorted, there is no way he loses. Not with those inside the team being the biggest threat to victory.

Having a guaranteed big name in every race of the season (or 2,3) is the wet dream of any sponsor.
What is UAE when Pogacar gets a 6 months lay off? To have WVA, JV, Remco (and Kuss) is a marketeers wet dream....

I mean obviously Pogacar is the marquee rider, but Yates is ranked 7th in the world, Hirchi 10th, Almeida 13th and they have Auyso and McNulty rapidly developing - so UAE are not exactly slouches without Pogacar ;)

As it looks like now, this merger could be disaster for Visma and Quickstep. Huge number of riders can and will change teams. Remco will go to Ineos, Roglič to Bora. Basically, Visma will loose serial stage and GT winner in Roglič, Visma will never have world champion, monuments, GT winner Remco and they are one Vinge injury away from winning nothing.
HUBRIS calling.

Reactions: Sandisfan
inspired by the post on the le grupetto forum Lefevere has a bit of a history of being on teams involved in fusions/splits

1994 - GB MG (Lefevere's team) picks up the remains of Ariostea
1995 - GB and Lefevere go to Mapei taking Museeuw with them
1997 - Mapei picks up what's left of Ceramica Vinavil (Tonkov and co)
2001-2003 Mapei split to Mapei and Domo and fusion back to Quickstep

so considering his experience he should try to provide some clarity at least to the people in his current team

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
inspired by the post on the le grupetto forum Lefevere has a bit of a history of being on teams involved in fusions/splits

1994 - GB MG (Lefevere's team) picks up the remains of Ariostea
1995 - GB and Lefevere go to Mapei taking Museeuw with them
1997 - Mapei picks up what's left of Ceramica Vinavil (Tonkov and co)
2001-2003 Mapei split to Mapei and Domo and fusion back to Quickstep

so considering his experience he should try to provide some clarity at least to the people in his current team
And then in addition to that, there's the poaching of sponsors (going both ways).

I hope some of the QS hitters like Lampaert, Cavagna make it to Lotto to help support De Lie, but somehow Frenchies always find their way back to French teams.

Lotto only has 1 spot left (as they can't get rid of Ewan) and I wouldn't be surprised not a lot of budget either. Even tho I'm not the biggest fan of him, Lampaert would be great in support of De Lie, but again I doubt they have the money.

I would like them to find a way to get rid of Ewan and get Merlier & Van Lerberghe. It isn't in support of De Lie, but it would take some load off De Lie's shoulder, and I think they're pretty compatible as De Lie seems to be going more and more in the direction of a classic guys and uphill sprinter.

Reactions: proffate
Really hoping Remco doesn’t go to TJV. I don’t like Remco + JV and I like even less in some ways Wout + Remco, as I’m a Wout fan and want to see him beat the curse of the seconds and start stacking up some big wins. I know they, to this point, mostly target different wins but I can see that changing over time.

The positive side for Remco is that, should the Tour ever contains big, flat ITT in the first week, he could get a gap over Vingegaard, which could cause management to support their fan favorite at JV’s expense. However, that did not work out for Roglic in the Vuelta.

There's absolutely 0 reason why he wouldn't. As if Lampaert isn't a 32y old that has always had better riders in his team and never had a problem with it. He literally got almost all his succes cause others were looking at his teammates. Plus he last good results in top classics are 3 years ago.
He was always out at the same level as Asgreen and Stybar in classics. I can’t remember him riding for anyone else in those races, and honestly De Lie still has a lot to show in big races against the best to deserve such help of Lampaert.

I feel sorry for Luke Lamperti. He had to of had multiple offers before signing with SQS and now is in limbo.
Yes, and Im struggling to think of a team who still would be in for him or would be a good fit.

Best I can think of is Jayco... but would they really sign a young American sprinter as second fiddle to Groenewegen?

Israel is another one, being second-fiddle to Ackermann.

EF... but not really a sprinters team right now.

Or a wild card... Astana. Might be crowded there with Bol, Kanter, Syritsa and potentially Cav. They might throw him a bone though.

Who knows, Ineos might fancy a young sprinter for their team.