Jurgen Van den Broeck Discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For me is a pity... but mainly becouse he was a good rider to measure the right level this year. He was one of the strong riders last year, and Nibali is not here. There is still TVG or Pinot, but, it is not the same
 
JVDB should have left Lotto a long time ago for a team where common sense prevails. Lotto are without a doubt, the dumbest ***** in the business. They have no one with GC experience on board, they enable JVDB to live solely for a top 5 spot in the TDF (hint: getting him some good moral in smaller races wouldn't hurt), and they are one of the two biggest teams enabling and working for mass sprints (even when they know beforehand they can't win) with a higher risk of crashes, and leaving only a couple of second rate helpers for JVDB and his GC aspirations.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
Sad to hear, hopefully he goes for the Vuelta now. Much better chance of a podium/top 10 there.
 
Afrank said:
Sad to hear, hopefully he goes for the Vuelta now. Much better chance of a podium/top 10 there.
If he doesn't crash, he does top 10 in TDF, what are you talking about "much better chance"? He finished 13th in 2009 after losing a lot of time after a crash in a TTT and going in ridiculous breaks in every mountain stage. He finished 4th in 2010. He crashed out in 2011. He finished 4th in 2012. In 2011 he punctured his longue, broke ribs and a colarbone, and he still managed to finish 8th in the Vuelta, being in bad shape.

Seriously, wtf. He had more chance in 2011 to podium in the TDF than he had in the Vuelta due to his injury. So it remains to be seen how much better his chances are in the vuelta. It all depends on his injury.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,845
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
If he doesn't crash, he does top 10 in TDF, what are you talking about "much better chance"? He finished 13th in 2009 after losing a lot of time after a crash in a TTT and going in ridiculous breaks in every mountain stage. He finished 4th in 2010. He crashed out in 2011. He finished 4th in 2012. In 2011 he punctured his longue, broke ribs and a colarbone, and he still managed to finish 8th in the Vuelta, being in bad shape.

Seriously, wtf. He had more chance in 2011 to podium in the TDF than he had in the Vuelta due to his injury. So it remains to be seen how much better his chances are in the vuelta. It all depends on his injury.
Yes, I would agree it depends on his injury. I say much better because the level of competition in Spain is generally lower than that of the Tour (not the case in 2012, but most years it is). Yet to see who will take part this year of course. And this is assuming he really focuses on it and tries hard/trains hard for it, and can heal up and be in good shape injury wise.
 
Mar 15, 2013
494
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
JVDB should have left Lotto a long time ago for a team where common sense prevails.
Do you think there are any World Tour-teams that want a rider who only does one race a year for a measly top-5?

they enable JVDB to live solely for a top 5 spot in the TDF (hint: getting him some good moral in smaller races wouldn't hurt)
I hope you do know that's his own choice?
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,819
0
0
Roderick said:
Do you think there are any World Tour-teams that want a rider who only does one race a year for a measly top-5?
Oh wow, a measly top 5. Look, TDF is the biggest and most prestigious race in the world. There are only 3 podium places. There are dozens of other races to be won. Do you think it's easier to finish 4th, twice, in the TDF than it is to win one of many races instead? I already made my point clear that i don't agree with focussing entirely on the TDF. That doesn't mean you have to belittle his achievements because that is simply out of place.

Roderick said:
I hope you do know that's his own choice?
I said they enable him. I didn't say they force him. They "let" him do it and support him in doing so. Enable.
 
Gloin22 said:
Lol in Romandie he was beaten even by friggin Tommy D.
Nice way to prove a point dude :rolleyes:

All I read is that there are always at least 3-4 people better than him in every race he enters. In every single one.
Definitely material for a podium in the Tour or Vuelta, oh yes :rolleyes:
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
The funny thing is, yesterday the Sporza guys were still making 'Gesink always crashes' jokes... surely by now they've realized they have their very own Gesink?
 
Pippo_San said:
Lol in Romandie he was beaten even by friggin Tommy D.
Nice way to prove a point dude :rolleyes:

All I read is that there are always at least 3-4 people better than him in every race he enters. In every single one.
Definitely material for a podium in the Tour or Vuelta, oh yes :rolleyes:
And yet he always beats people like Tommy D. in GT's, so what are you saying? That GT's = One week races?
 
Panda Claws said:
And yet he always beats people like Tommy D. in GT's, so what are you saying? That GT's = One week races?
And where the heck did I say something like that? I repeat, in every single race he enters there are at least 3-4 people better than him. The words here are AT LEAST 3-4 PEOPLE and IN EVERY SINGLE RACE.
Nuff said.

The comparison with Tommy D. was made just because Gloin22 brought up those classments, and it was way too funny (read: ridiculous) :rolleyes:
 
Mar 15, 2013
494
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Oh wow, a measly top 5. Look, TDF is the biggest and most prestigious race in the world. There are only 3 podium places. There are dozens of other races to be won. Do you think it's easier to finish 4th, twice, in the TDF than it is to win one of many races instead? I already made my point clear that i don't agree with focussing entirely on the TDF. That doesn't mean you have to belittle his achievements because that is simply out of place.
That is just the big problem. Finishing fourth in the Tour is very hard indeed. But what does it buy you? A 4th place is nice, bu who's gonna remember that after a few years? Why doesn't he try a giro-vuelta double. Or go for a stage victory or a polka dot jersey in the Tour?


I said they enable him. I didn't say they force him. They "let" him do it and support him in doing so. Enable.
I know, what I meant to say was, the way he is doing it now is the only way he wants to do it. Lotto can "force" him to focus also on a race like P-N, but thats completely going to screw his preparation for the tour over. VDB doesn't want to do it differently
 
Jul 19, 2010
741
0
0
I feel bad for VdB that he crashed badly, but he's asking for it by being so close to the sprinters. He wouldn't lose that much time if he hung back, or stayed with Froome and Contador. The climbing hasn't even started yet, why would he worry about losing a few seconds?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
TheEnoculator said:
I feel bad for VdB that he crashed badly, but he's asking for it by being so close to the sprinters. He wouldn't lose that much time if he hung back, or stayed with Froome and Contador. The climbing hasn't even started yet, why would he worry about losing a few seconds?
Froome and Contador were right next to him.

I think we're going to see all GC riders wanting to ride at the back of the peloton for a bunch sprint, causing crashes in the back rather than the front ;)
 
Jun 24, 2013
543
0
0
Pippo_San said:
And where the heck did I say something like that? I repeat, in every single race he enters there are at least 3-4 people better than him. The words here are AT LEAST 3-4 PEOPLE and IN EVERY SINGLE RACE.
Nuff said
Couldn't you turn that around and say that in a lot of races only a few people finish in front of him? Anyway, I don't understand what you're so desperately trying to tell us? Is VDB undeserving of his tour selection? Of his role as team captain?

After seeing today's racing I am thinking a top5 would be possible this year, but there's still a lot of tour left
 
Fin de saison.

He's out for the season, no Vuelta either. Another wasted year.

Pippo_San said:
All I read is that there are always at least 3-4 people better than him in every race he enters. In every single one.
Definitely material for a podium in the Tour or Vuelta, oh yes :rolleyes:
What an asinine statement.

So someone who finished 4th two times in the TDF, can not possibly ever podium in that race? Wiggins and Nibali weren't here, they finished before him last year. Contador isn't the same guy from a couple of years ago, and please remind me again what Valverde's best TDF performance was? Right. He had a big shot of podium'ing this year. We have f*ing TGBM and LTD in 3rd and 4th. Obviously, they are way out of JVDB's league. lol :rolleyes:

And you are also claiming a guy that finishes 4th in the TDF can't podium in the Vuelta or Giro? ROFL Hmm. Did you see last years Giro?
 
Dekker_Tifosi said:
You can laugh about Ten Dam

But Mollema? Dude stop it. Mollema at his age has achieved more than JvdB when he was 26/27.. I doubt Mollema is worse at JvdB even at his top
I don't know what you mean by "achieved more" but we are talking about GC classifications here, not about stagewins or whatever. 3 years ago VDB already finished 5th in the Giro and 4th in the Tour.

Whatever you may doubt is your business. I also know you didn't hold back ridiculing JVDB in comparison to Gesink 2 years ago. I find your remark highly ironic.

And nowhere did i make fun of Mollema, i merely stated he is by no means out of JVDB's league. Which he's not. Of course, if you think little of JVDB's efforts, then i can see how you could interpret that to mean the same for Mollema.

Also, why the * are you comparing Mollema to JVDB age 26/27? Is there some magical timetravel wormhole running through this years TDF? because i believe the point was if JVDB could realistically podium this year. To my knowledge, he's 30 now, not 26 or 27.

Dude, stop it indeed.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Fin de saison.

He's out for the season, no Vuelta either. Another wasted year.
Too bad! Last year he was one of the few positives for me in the Tour. I wish him a good recovery and hope to see him at his best next year!
 
Mar 27, 2010
1,759
0
0
brilleaben said:
The rest of the season won't be the same without his presence.
I know it's a year old but I feel it's time to bump VDB. With everyone crashing for once he's one of the survivors, and with everyone apparently going anglophile and mentioning everyone except VDB (Porte, Talansky, van Garderen). Lets not forget that he finished top 5 the last 2 times he finished the Tour and he's a damned good climber. Lets hope he stays healthy and has the guts to challenge Nibali.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY