• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jurgen Van den Broeck Discussion thread

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Since I'm from the same tiny village as he is, and there doesn't seem to be a thread about him, I declare this the official Jurgen Van den Broeck thread. Where do you see him ending up in the near and far future? What should his tactics be?

He always had the ability to make the top 10 or top 5 of grand tours. There is no reason he can't make the top 5 again this year but it won't be easy. The trouble for him is that he is not in the best three or so climbers and his TT is not one of the best either so he relies on consistency a bit like Evans. Last year he had a mechanical at a bad time as well. Talented rider who just lacks that bit of brilliance that would enable him to win a grand tour. Like Gesink maybe the Giro would be a better option for him. Next year especially with Nibali doing the Tour even so he will have to beat Porte and the some of the Colombians amongst others.

He got 4th in the Tour twice, so it's reasonable for him to focus on the Tour. If the no. 4 isn't even allowed to do so, how about the 220 riders below him?

I think last Tour he rode with a relatively attacking style, partly due to his time loss on La Planche of course. But I think such a style will gain more fans than just being spat out the back by the Sky train at a few k to go.

I would think this would end up being one of his best opportunities to podium. Wiggins and Nibali aren't coming back, which means Froome is the only returning cyclist to beat him. Contador's back off suspension, but he's beat most of the other major contenders (TVG, Porte, Valverde, etc...). Does not mean he does it again, but he seems as good a bet as any.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
He was pretty bad in Dauphiné, was he ill?? He hasn't shown much this year and has the weakest team of all podium contenders so it will be very hard for him to reach it. Plus the starting field is better this year.

But every year he progresses a little, so if he can keep that up and is lucky during the first week not losing any time due to falls or flats he will be very close to the podium.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
He should stop targeting a top-10 in the tour and go for stages or perhaps the polka dot jersey instead.

And why everything on the tour each year? He has the ability to win races like Paris-Nice or Pais Vasco. That's much better than being 4th in the tour

Could make it into top 5 again, but of course it will require a pretty faultless performance this time.

The tactics will be easy. Take the Sky train for most of the way and avoid getting off too early. Perform very well in the two ITTs and stay clear of the crashes in the first week somehow.

Then, if the legs are very good in the last week, go with one of the attacks late in a key stage.

Easier said than done.

I wouldn't read much in his performances at the Dauphiné considering he was ill, as he was very good on the Belgian National Championships.

Also,

2010: 4th Dauphiné Liberé
10th Vuelta Pais Vasco

2011: 4th Dauphiné Liberé (+ 1 Stage Win)
13th Vuelta Pais Vasco

2012: 3th Volta a Catalunya
5th Dauphiné Liberé
12th Vuelta Pais Vasco

2013: 7th Tour de Romandie
9th Volta a Catalunya
29th Dauphiné Liberé

Apart from the Dauphiné performance this year has not been worse as others yet.

Panda Claws said:
I wouldn't read much in his performances at the Dauphiné considering he was ill, as he was very good on the Belgian National Championships.
He wasn't 'very good' at the nationals... just okay. As the only climber in a group of classics riders (even Van Keirsbulck was there for a long time) he should have been able to make a difference on that climb.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He wasn't 'very good' at the nationals... just okay. As the only climber in a group of classics riders (even Van Keirsbulck was there for a long time) he should have been able to make a difference on that climb.

I would even say he was pretty mediocre. If you can't drop guys like Van Keirsbulck, who had been working for a few laps, Thomas Degand and Laurens de Vreese on a decent climb a few laps in a row, you can't say he was good this sunday.

Not to mention Devolder rode away from him, and the others ofcourse, like they were standing still. And Devolder is definately no Dawg or Pistolero

He was one of the best riders in the National Championships for someone without any kind of classics record.

Also, it is not because that Devolder has been crap for a while that any good performance he does now is also crap :rolleyes:

Devolder was very very strong...

Regardless what you might think about the field, last WC everyone was talking about the Spanish team too while I mostly remember the Belgian team being stellar that day.

Panda Claws said:
He was one of the best riders in the National Championships for someone without any kind of classics record.

Also, it is not because that Devolder has been crap for a while that any good performance he does now is also crap :rolleyes:

Devolder was very very strong...

Regardless what you might think about the field, last WC everyone was talking about the Spanish team too while I mostly remember the Belgian team being stellar that day.
No one is saying Belgian classics riders are crap (although, frankly, they have been this season :p).

But that wasn't your typical classics course. A real good climber should have been able to drop the heavyweights on that climb.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
I can't agree with that, his record is littered with tops tens in one week stage races. He just isn't good enough to win anything.

He only rides them as a training, and to bring some WT-points home for Lotto. Not even slightly focussed on those races

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
'Littered' is maybe not quite the word. He usually only performs in the Ruta del Sol, and one other short stage race, every year.

Top tens in stage races excluding Tour

Vuelta
Giro
Andalucia (3 times)
Dauphine (3)
Eneco Tour (3)
Catalunya (2)
Algarve
Pais Vasco
Romandie
San Luis

Top ten in San Luis, Andalucia, Romandie and Catalunya this year. If he hadn't been ill in the Dauphine he would probably have been top 10. Are we talking about different riders?

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
The Greg Van Avermaet of stage races.

Still like both of them.
Hope he can reach the podium this year, but it will be very difficult. I say also, that he should target other GT's or stage races.

TRENDING THREADS