• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jurgen Van den Broeck Discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
I hope for the sake of my Tour CQ team he podiums. Good chance of it now.

Based on previous years he really should. In my opinion he was set for a top 5 before the start, and with 2 guys expected ahead of him out already, and people around him struggling (like Talansky getting dropped, Valverde not being 100%) the logic says he should be 2 or 3, but logic hasn't really held so far this TDF.

Re:

De Snelle Duif said:
Boy, VDB sure seems controversial judging from this thread.

Did we just see a reincarnation of the "old" JVDB? I sure hope so!

Well he's definitely put in a great performance. However he's not been at his best in the high mountains yet.

If he's only coming into form now for the third week he should have a part to play, if he's just specialized on TT's at the cost of his climbing he'll just follow a bit and finish somewhere between 5-10.

I feel that he is getting back to his old TT level / talent, but I feel he cannot combine great TT and great climbing. It is one or the other, and while his TT is back to his junior level, his climbing has faded a bit. I hope he can prove me wrong though!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He used to miss such a good ITT and now suddenly he's on this level.

I hope his climbing gets better, and gets the podium. He really deserves it.

Or he was hurt in the crash.

I guess he won't do a lot better than today in the coming stages though, he always seems very vulnerable whenever something has gone wrong.

It's a shame as his TT was really good.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I really hope Jurgen does a Hesjedahl and just goes for a breakaway one of the following stages. He desperately needs to win some time back as he doesn't seem to climb that well but could still easily be the best climber of a breakaway.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Apparently Jurgen is peaking towards the Worlds TT Championships, which means he'll do the Vuelta just to get some form and help Montfort and De Clercq. Will be interesting to see how he does and if this career change will work.

TRENDING THREADS