• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Just the facts on the latest Astana doping scandal

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
On the substance, I'm (mostly) with the "haters."

But my god, they can be just as frothingly irrational as the "fan boys."

Let's aside aside opinions about what is "really" going on. (There's PLENTY of evidence aside from the current investigation suggesting that yes, (almost) everyone dopes.) But if the only substances found are substances which are not subject to a blanket prohibition, but only prohibited in conjunction with doping, and there is no OTHER evidence (as opposed to well gounded supposition) of doping, then ... as a legal matter (again, set aside well grounded supposition) ... there is no proof of doping. Period.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
LMaggitti said:
On the substance, I'm (mostly) with the "haters."

But my god, they can be just as frothingly irrational as the "fan boys."

Let's aside aside opinions about what is "really" going on. (There's PLENTY of evidence aside from the current investigation suggesting that yes, (almost) everyone dopes.) But if the only substances found are substances which are not subject to a blanket prohibition, but only prohibited in conjunction with doping, and there is no OTHER evidence (as opposed to well gounded supposition) of doping, then ... as a legal matter (again, set aside well grounded supposition) ... there is no proof of doping. Period.

What would a team use large syringes for besides doping?

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
What would a team use large syringes for besides doping?

You're missing the point - two seperate issues here:

(1) What people believe is "really" going on - yeah, sure, just more evidence supporting the proposition that most of the pros are doping - if you already belive that (as I do), you don't need this additional evidence; if you don't, this additional evidence won't change your mind.

(2) The legal aspects of the investigation - your argument is not a legitimate legal argument, whether the proceeding is criminal or civil.

That doesn't mean Astana is "innocent" in any epistemological sense; it does mean that the posts earlier in the thread which stated that the reported lack of banned substances is legally irrelevant are ... well, as I said, as misguided (that's putting it kindly) as any fan boy defense of Lance because he (cough, cough) has "never tested positive."

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
LMaggitti said:
You're missing the point - two seperate issues here:

(1) What people believe is "really" going on - yeah, sure, just more evidence supporting the proposition that most of the pros are doping - if you already belive that (as I do), you don't need this additional evidence; if you don't, this additional evidence won't change your mind.

(2) The legal aspects of the investigation - your argument is not a legitimate legal argument, whether the proceeding is criminal or civil.

That doesn't mean Astana is "innocent" in any epistemological sense; it does mean that the posts earlier in the thread which stated that the reported lack of banned substances is legally irrelevant are ... well, as I said, as misguided (that's putting it kindly) as any fan boy defense of Lance because he (cough, cough) has "never tested positive."

I am not sure I understand your post, but the size of the syringes found are illegal in France so it is a legit legal argument.