JV talks, sort of

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
4,833
1
0
JMBeaushrimp said:
Politics. Hence my comments about his being an unenviable position.

How hard can he really push before getting entirely shafted.

Take what you can...
I have some ambivalence about JV and his Team Clean, because I'm not sure of their sincerity. If it really is merely a question of politics/survival for them, and if they really are sincere in their anti-doping ethos, then I say they are doing well in all regards, and they give us reason to be excited.

If it turns out their anti-doping stance is only a cynical ploy, then they are worse than USPS, far worse, and the sport deserves to shrivel up and die - which it no doubt would.
 
May 21, 2010
703
0
0
will10 said:
I didn't think we'd seen anything that high in the Giro?
Was a tailwind to be fair,but was funny high numbers day after JV's tweets is all.
Additionally think was 6.5 w/kg as well not 6.8
 
Jun 19, 2009
4,841
0
0
Maxiton said:
I have some ambivalence about JV and his Team Clean, because I'm not sure of their sincerity. If it really is merely a question of politics/survival for them, and if they really are sincere in their anti-doping ethos, then I say they are doing well in all regards, and they give us reason to be excited.

If it turns out their anti-doping stance is only a cynical ploy, then they are worse than USPS, far worse, and the sport deserves to shrivel up and die - which it no doubt would.
I would agree wholeheartedly to the last paragraph. Having had conversations with several of our local riders on Garmin they acknowledge that teams around them are still rife; particularly those nationalities that have long histories. They avoided those teams and sincerely believe they are in the right work environment. None of them are GC contenders either.
 
May 14, 2010
4,833
1
0
Oldman said:
I would agree wholeheartedly to the last paragraph. Having had conversations with several of our local riders on Garmin they acknowledge that teams around them are still rife; particularly those nationalities that have long histories. They avoided those teams and sincerely believe they are in the right work environment. None of them are GC contenders either.
Thanks, Oldman. Good to know. Are you in Marin, by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind the locale question. I just saw "Pacific NW."
 
May 21, 2010
703
0
0
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
Context in terms of time duration? I admit I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Even I can push 6.5 but I can only do it for so long. :eek:

Source for calc /estimate?
I cant be bothered to be honest,I got it from here somewhere;
as i said was a tailwind,and is steep.
Was just funny as I said day after JVs tweets:p
vam was 1810-1870 depending on distance of top of my head(as usual in those estimate things noone has exact foolproof distance numbers)
Alpe di Pampeago is 7.7km @9.9%
 
Jun 19, 2009
4,841
0
0
Maxiton said:
Thanks, Oldman. Good to know. Are you in Marin, by chance?

EDIT: Nevermind the locale question. I just saw "Pacific NW."
Seattle the land of rain and hills
 
Jul 28, 2009
1,758
0
0
thehog said:
Vaughters admittance was a step in the right direction,

<snip>

http://www.roadcycling.com/articles/Vaughters-Doping-Confession_005058.shtml
D-Queued said:
Hi Hog,

Great minds and all that, I was just thinking about both Frankie and Jonathan.
Am I the only one who dislikes people cutting and pasting slabs of text as if they had written it? I was reading Hog's post thinking there was no way he wrote that - grammar and spelling were way off for a Hog post.
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
the big ring said:
Am I the only one who dislikes people cutting and pasting slabs of text as if they had written it? I was reading Hog's post thinking there was no way he wrote that - grammar and spelling were way off for a Hog post.
That is one of the luvable/lolable quirks of the Hog.

Believe only half of what the Hog writes and halve that again unless it is Tuesday.
 
Jun 22, 2009
765
0
0
pleyser said:
Not sure if this video has been posted yet...likely from early 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB5GA1MOwdI&playnext=1&list=PL0308FD70869CEDC7&feature=results_video

His op-ed piece took things a bit further.
Not the smoothest Ted talks presentation I've ever seen. I nearly turned it off because his nervousness is so distracting and his self congratulating is very off putting. The bermuda shorts with a jacket and tie certainly didn't make it more watchable either. I'm glad I didn't though because I discovered a real gem towards the end. He actually claims the Garmin skin suit nearly equals the same advantage as EPO. :rolleyes:

I'm having a real hard time taking him seriously anymore.
 
Jul 9, 2009
6,625
0
0
BroDeal said:
That is one of the luvable/lolable quirks of the Hog.

Believe only half of what you read from the Hog and half of that again unless it is Tuesday.
Hog is sometimes as embarrassing for our side as Flicker was for the fanboys.:p
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
Dr. Maserati said:
So, what's clear is your take on it, not JVs.
If you read up on Wiggins it is apparent that he is difficult to work with, I always took it that he is a guy who becomes more stroppy and curt when he is close to his limit.


So, you expect Ryder to hop on a plane and return to Canada after every race - now that deserves roll eyes.
of course, but why did he live in Girona in the first place? quite an obvious story which you were trying to make seem less obvious than it is.
 
May 14, 2010
4,833
1
0
lean said:
Not the smoothest Ted talks presentation I've ever seen. I nearly turned it off because his nervousness is so distracting and his self congratulating is very off putting. The bermuda shorts with a jacket and tie certainly didn't make it more watchable either. I'm glad I didn't though because I discovered a real gem towards the end. He actually claims the Garmin skin suit nearly equals the same advantage as EPO. :rolleyes:

I'm having a real hard time taking him seriously anymore.
I actually found his presentation to be earnest and convincing. Too bad I'm not as convinced by other things outside the presentation.
 
Oct 16, 2010
13,578
1
0
Maxiton said:
I actually found his presentation to be earnest and convincing. Too bad I'm not as convinced by other things outside the presentation.

Looking at the presentation, I wonder what JV would now have to say about Vino's gold medal.
How does Vino's win support JV's claim that cycling is now "much much cleaner than years before"?
Like Millar, did Vino merely want a second chance to "do things the right way"?
What's the real difference between Millar and Vino. Perception?
 
Apr 20, 2012
4,238
0
0
D-Queued said:
Ummm... it was Ryder's first time on the Ventoux.
Results

1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 4.50.37 (38.401 km/h)
2 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R Prevoyance
3 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner 0.15
4 Jose Azevedo (Por) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.29
5 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Cofidis, le Credit par Telephone 0.54
6 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) T-Mobile Team
7 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) AG2R Prevoyance 1.04
8 Sergio Paulinho (Por) Würth 1.15
9 Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Credit Agricole 1.19
10 Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz) Team Milram 1.30
55 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis, le Credit par Telephone 9.22
56 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 9.30


That's when Brad knew he could do it!

Ryder is or was no choir boy like the 'reborn' Christophe Moreau.
 
Jul 28, 2009
1,758
0
0
pleyser said:
Not sure if this video has been posted yet...likely from early 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB5GA1MOwdI&playnext=1&list=PL0308FD70869CEDC7&feature=results_video

His op-ed piece took things a bit further.
I got as far as the description below the video and stopped when I read

and the reform taking place through transparency in professional cycling
What does transparency mean in cycling?

Because I have not seen anything other than Frei's training info that even closely resembles my definition of transparent.
 
Jun 18, 2012
232
0
0
Let's be honest - there's no transparency. Not in financial accountability, not in drug-testing, not in structure, nowhere. If it were a public company it would fail every single test of accountability - and any sport wishing to be taken seriously in it's accountability should be as easily navigated and as transparent as a publicly listed one.
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,013
0
0
User Guide said:
I cant be bothered to be honest,I got it from here somewhere;
as i said was a tailwind,and is steep.
Was just funny as I said day after JVs tweets:p
vam was 1810-1870 depending on distance of top of my head(as usual in those estimate things noone has exact foolproof distance numbers)
Alpe di Pampeago is 7.7km @9.9%
That one had passed me by, from here onwards in the power estimates thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=881250#post881250
 
Jan 27, 2010
796
0
0
thehog said:
Huh?

USPS, Phoank, Obscurity, GT winner?

His DS is a confessed doper!
I guess I ask myself, in the years that Ryder was a neophyte in RRing (but clearly not to racing-see his vast accomplishments in MTBiking) on what pro team could he have riden where there wasn't someone doping or a team full of dopers? In those years it didn't exist. Give the guy credit at least he transferred to a team that overtly claims not to dope. He didn't transfer into Lotto, CSC, RS...?

As for USPS and Ryder, check what races he entered and ask yourself if he was in the inner sanctum of JB's program. Very unlikely.

Landis knew Ryder, shoot him an email and ask him about him and the Phonak years, you may be enlightened.

'Obscurity' Hog, that is a very uninformed comment.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Not a fan of JV.

I dont believe Garmin to be clean. They might be clean in UCI terms;). They employed Lim at one stage.

That JV has waited so long to declare he doped is a joke. He should've declared it when he retired from racing. Plenty have. He left the sport because he didn't want to race against dopers or he no longer wanted to dope and disappoint his DS. That his DS was a doping DS smells. That he declares it now is great timing for him, smothered under all the olympics.

He plays the fence, and enjoys his word play on twitter and in here. Trying to reach out to convince the clinic Garmin is clean.

Hesjedal trains on Hawaii, bit nicer than Teneriffe, but what sports Doctor/Coach on Hawaii is he training with?

JV plays the world of pro cycling very well, but he is not playing it for anyone but JV.
 
Oct 25, 2010
2,965
2
0
Look folks, just as total calories consumed versus total calories burned (throw in a bit of metabolism) equals how fat or skinny you are, if you're going to lose the weight, you're going to have to either put in the mileage or put away the food.

This whole op-ed piece and Tyler's book... I don't need to be transported back into the hearts and minds of JV or Tyler Hamilton. I don't need to be brought back to the middle of the peloton of the late 90's and early 2000's. And I don't need to understand either person's experience of working so hard, 20k miles per year for ten years, blah-blah-blah. At the end of the day, we're accountable for our choices. Still. And it's just that simple. I'm not looking for anyone to wear the scarlet letter around their necks. I just want people to stop rationalizing their past choices and be willing to call their duck a duck.

JV and Tyler... When you pre-pave the path of your admissions with "you really need to understand the mindset back then", then I can see you've essentially not yet really learned the truly important lessons.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,235
0
0
Benotti69 said:
Not a fan of JV.

I dont believe Garmin to be clean. They might be clean in UCI terms;). They employed Lim at one stage.

That JV has waited so long to declare he doped is a joke. He should've declared it when he retired from racing. Plenty have. He left the sport because he didn't want to race against dopers or he no longer wanted to dope and disappoint his DS. That his DS was a doping DS smells. That he declares it now is great timing for him, smothered under all the olympics.

He plays the fence, and enjoys his word play on twitter and in here. Trying to reach out to convince the clinic Garmin is clean.

Hesjedal trains on Hawaii, bit nicer than Teneriffe, but what sports Doctor/Coach on Hawaii is he training with?

JV plays the world of pro cycling very well, but he is not playing it for anyone but JV.
+1, well said.

Smells like Riis to me. Hard to find any other motive than self-serving apart from a lack of logic or smarts. I'm sure her's got both aplenty.
 
Oct 25, 2010
2,965
2
0
People go to remote places to train...not because of the terrain, not for the weather, not for the medical staff to be found there.

They go to beat the anti-doping travel budgets for OOC testing.

Lance didn't go to Maui because of Haleakala. He went there because it costs a lot of money for USADA to send a guy to Hawaii to collect samples. Too much money to target one guy.

Hawaii has relatively few roads. Anyone that's been there knows that it is not a great place to train. A US based rider can always train in San Diego, Arizona, etc (depending on season).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY