• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV, time to man up, support Floyd

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
calling out to JV to man up and support Floyd.

The team was not clean, your A team has got the results of the dirtiest teams. It is about time you made good on your promise.

White, Lim, Zabriskie, your GC riders in the past years on transfusions.

Are Ellis and you gonna support clean cycling or spin? Cycling or your sponsors?

StrongArm is a house of cards waiting to fall. Man up, give Floyd your imprimatur.

Meh... What do you expect him to say? "Oh yeah, this rider that I've had for three years is dirty!"

Personally I'm loving this quote:
Vaughters said:
He [DZ] can win this race with clear conscience and an open heart, and I think he will.

What is he trying to be, DS of poetry or something? Seriously, that might be one of the cheesiest lines of all time.

blackcat said:
calling out to JV to man up and support Floyd.

The team was not clean, your A team has got the results of the dirtiest teams. It is about time you made good on your promise.

White, Lim, Zabriskie, your GC riders in the past years on transfusions.

Are Ellis and you gonna support clean cycling or spin? Cycling or your sponsors?

StrongArm is a house of cards waiting to fall. Man up, give Floyd your imprimatur.

Well, Garmin still have a clean reputation in general. I dont think many people have any doubts about the past of people involved with the team but the JV attitude is, past is the past, lets look forward which is what his latest statements indicate. Why would he risk losing his sponsor over events that happened before his team were even around.

You are always on about the Garmin A team yet when pushed, it was usually just Wiggins, Zabriskie, Vandevelde and Martin you referred to, then Farrar got added and surely Hysdejal is on the list now too. Wiggins is gone. I think JV knows what Zabriskie was up to before but his performances have dropped of since he came to Garmin.

By your reckong Martin must no longer be on the A team judging by his performances in the Vuelta/Giro.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The telling thing about Vaughters' statement is that he does not deny the allegations. Nor does George Hincapie. He just says he's disappointed to hear the accusations.

I don't know why it was handled this way, though. It's about time for cycling to have a legitimate amnesty program. Right now, the system is not designed to bring out the truth, it's designed for people to CYA. People like Dave Z and George have a right to make a living if they are doing things the right way now.

drfunk000 said:
The telling thing about Vaughters' statement is that he does not deny the allegations. Nor does George Hincapie. He just says he's disappointed to hear the accusations.

I don't know why it was handled this way, though. It's about time for cycling to have a legitimate amnesty program. Right now, the system is not designed to bring out the truth, it's designed for people to CYA. People like Dave Z and George have a right to make a living if they are doing things the right way now.

JV has never denied what happened in the past, he just generalises or hints at what went on. The interview with Kimmage a few years ago was the perfect example of this, speaking in regards to his win on Ventoux in the Dauphine, he didnt admit to doping but more or less indicated he was doped.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
sida-mot said:
That would be AWSOME! Just do it. The world of cycling fans will have your back.

Not this one. FL is the lowest form of human debris - not a tattle-tale, but a narc. His motive is revenge and money. F. him. Allowing his allegations to carry any weight, whether true or not, is the wrong thing to do.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Not this one. FL is the lowest form of human debris - not a tattle-tale, but a narc. His motive is revenge and money. F. him. Allowing his allegations to carry any weight, whether true or not, is the wrong thing to do.

Why do people keep bring up his motivations? Who cares if he's making a power/money grab? Good for him. If his claims are substantiated with evidence in court, it's all good because he exposed another group of money grubbing win-at-all costs "human debris"--The Pharmstrong-Hog complex.

A

Anonymous

JV doesn't strike me as having the character to be honest about this.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:

I agree to a certain extent. But my take is it was the wrong way to go about it not the wrong thing to do.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
JV doesn't strike me as having the character to be honest about this.
It is hard for me to take anything JV says at any value. he flip flops. not long ago he attacked Le Tour's drug policy and his bee sting then fronted an "internal testing" program...

or maybe it is just his Spock Burns and wearing Turtlenecks with a sport coat in the summer with his thinking mans glasses that kills objectivity for me

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
_1456643_vaughters300.jpg

340x.jpg

the latter looks best on a fixie

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Vaughters has been a huge disappointment so far.

His silence is deafening.

I remember he came here last year to defend Wiggins, but he couldn't convince me.

Vaughters has become part of the problem. A supporter of the omerta. A metastasis of the cancer which ails cycling.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
Who thinks Barry might spill, Sky could fire him from the cycling team then offer him a stupid $$ figure to give an exclusive story to the media side of Sky? Ball park idea?

As a Canadian, could Barry tell his story (if he's guilty) to the American authorities and walk away with nothing but early retirement?

Team Sky really needs to protect their image right now, but I don't know on which side of the fence that would put them.

TheDangerMan1

BANNED
May 20, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Well, Garmin still have a clean reputation in general. I dont think many people have any doubts about the past of people involved with the team but the JV attitude is, past is the past, lets look forward which is what his latest statements indicate. Why would he risk losing his sponsor over events that happened before his team were even around.

You are always on about the Garmin A team yet when pushed, it was usually just Wiggins, Zabriskie, Vandevelde and Martin you referred to, then Farrar got added and surely Hysdejal is on the list now too. Wiggins is gone. I think JV knows what Zabriskie was up to before but his performances have dropped of since he came to Garmin.

By your reckong Martin must no longer be on the A team judging by his performances in the Vuelta/Giro.

Good points. Blackcat doesn't give us a reason why JV should want to rake over the past. As a vendetta? What's the cause? Cycling is cleaning up already so that obviously isn't the reason.

Blackcat himself, and others here, need to man-up and support Floyd. Floyd has said that more people would be willing to talk about the past if they weren't smeared and have their names run through the mud. Doping was just part of the sport at the time and he says he has nothing to be ashamed about.

What do you say, Blackcat? Will you support Floyd and stop making out dopers are evil? Will you have a more sophisticated and reasonable approach to the whole issue?

TheDangerMan1

BANNED
May 20, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Vaughters has been a huge disappointment so far.

His silence is deafening.

I remember he came here last year to defend Wiggins, but he couldn't convince me.

Vaughters has become part of the problem. A supporter of the omerta. A metastasis of the cancer which ails cycling.

You don't do yourselves any favours by pretending Wiggins is doping.

JV is ****ing away any goodwill he might have by remaining silent on this. Unlike Landis, Hamilton etc, he doesn't have the stigma of a failed test, and a failed campaign to prove his innocence.

His words about clean cycling etc, are meaningless, if he doesn't speak out now. He needs to grow a set and talk.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
JV is ****ing away any goodwill he might have by remaining silent on this. Unlike Landis, Hamilton etc, he doesn't have the stigma of a failed test, and a failed campaign to prove his innocence.

His words about clean cycling etc, are meaningless, if he doesn't speak out now. He needs to grow a set and talk.

I agree. Talk is cheap, it's time for JV to act. Omerta just perpetuates the doping. Come on JV, time to be a man and say exactly WHY you have the attitude about clean cycling that you have. Be a man.

Mrs John Murphy said:

We know that:

1) JV wants a clean and honest sport (we can believe him when he says this).
2) Wants a profitable and successful team (duh).

It comes down to which of these two he prefers - there may be a way in which he can have both.

To achieve #1, he has to come clean about USPS and by virtue of doing so, acknowledging the truth in accusations towards members of his own team. This is the only way JV can achieve the clean sport he dreams about... This is his moment, if he doesn't speak up now then his desire for a clean sport will be nothing more than senseless PR ramblings we got from 99% of those involved. This is as good a chance as anyone may have for years, so if he doesn't take it now, he's never going to take it.

If losing Zabriskie would be the worse to come of it for Garmin then it would almost be plausible for JV to speak up. JV and Matt White will be able to continue in the same way that Riis still runs a ProTour team - wise men in the driver's seat are subject to far less scrutiny.

Unfortunately, the mess in the whole situation is Allen Lim. If JV acknowledges Floyd's words then he's also acknowledging the fact that Allen Lim is a doping doctor. The same Allen Lim worked with Garmin in 2009 - his team would be accused of systematic doping, something he may not be willing to go through.

He may end up telling a few half-truths, but he will never tell all, there's too much at stake - more than he's willing to pay for the clean sport he desires.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
As a Canadian, could Barry tell his story (if he's guilty) to the American authorities and walk away with nothing but early retirement?

Team Sky really needs to protect their image right now, but I don't know on which side of the fence that would put them.

But he might want to move back to Canada though.

TRENDING THREADS