• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kashechkin hopeful of comeback

May 6, 2009
Visit site
From the front page:

Kazakh hopes to start racing August 1

Andreï Kashechkin and his lawyer were heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne on Wednesday in hopes of having him reinstated to the world of professional cycling.

"We've have presented our arguments and I hope for a positive outcome," the Kazakh rider told Cyclingnews. He expects to be officially allowed to race again on August 1st this year, which is two years after he supposedly failed an anti-doping control taken during his holiday in Turkey after the 2007 Tour de France.

The UCI claims he tested positive for an illegal for blood transfusion, but since documents about his B-sample analysis were missing, the Kazakh federation never suspended him.

The decision of the CAS will be announced within two weeks.

The day Kashechkin was in Lausanne, he received the first visit in two years from the controllers of the UCI for an out-of-competition test. "I had entered in the ADAMS system that I was in Lausanne and the UCI knew which day I had my hearing," said Kashechkin.

The former Astana rider has made himself available anytime for testing. He wants to return to racing after the Tour de France. He plans to look for a team if the CAS gives him the green light.

I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to work out which team he will make his comeback for.

If they wouldn't allow Roberto Heras to sign with a PT team for four years, they shouldn't let Kasheckin either IMO. The guy came from nowhere to being one of the best in the world, and was attached to the most egregious doping team (Astana) along side one of the most jacked dopers in recent years (Vino). And, on top of that, he fought the suspension all the way and attempted to sue others in the process. :mad:

Actually, Heras was railroaded even worse, as he couldn't even get UCI Continental teams to offer him a contract barely above base pay because he was basically blacklisted from the sport.

The question at this point for 2010 is does Astana have enough bribery money to get the UCI to allow their new team to be a PT team, or will they be pushed to UCI Continental status.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
If they wouldn't allow Roberto Heras to sign with a PT team for four years, they shouldn't let Kasheckin either IMO. The guy came from nowhere to being one of the best in the world, and was attached to the most egregious doping team (Astana) along side one of the most jacked dopers in recent years (Vino). And, on top of that, he fought the suspension all the way and attempted to sue others in the process. :mad:

Actually, Heras was railroaded even worse, as he couldn't even get UCI Continental teams to offer him a contract barely above base pay because he was basically blacklisted from the sport.

The question at this point for 2010 is does Astana have enough bribery money to get the UCI to allow their new team to be a PT team, or will they be pushed to UCI Continental status.
Yeah... But I tend to love him and Vino too...but yeah, Ferrari certainly played a role in their success.

There's some connection between Ferrari and The Kazak cycling Fed. Why wont Ferrari work with those Russians (Team Katusha)? He clearly had a contract with Vino and then it extended through the whole Astana program.

Alpe d'Huez said:

But they allowed Basso to sign with Liquigas. Or should we start again saying that was only attempted doping?:D
Even if Astana would be relegated to Continental Pro,if the majority of the riders stay put,they should have no problem in receiving wildcards for the big races.
IMO,if JB leaves the team along with LA for that Nike project,i bet the Kazahks will take care that the future manager accepts Vino and Kash back in the team,and they will find the money to go on.;)
After all,Astana was basically created for AV,right?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
But Kashechkin was never actually found guilty of anything.. So surely they can't prevent him for racing, or signing for a PT team, unless they find him guilty of something, which surely is impossible because the detail of his counter-analysis were lost?

His is another like Hamilton's Olympic sample.. and would Hamilton have been suspended if that was the only sample that testing positive? I doubt it.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:
But Kashechkin was never actually found guilty of anything.. So surely they can't prevent him for racing, or signing for a PT team, unless they find him guilty of something, which surely is impossible because the detail of his counter-analysis were lost?

His is another like Hamilton's Olympic sample.. and would Hamilton have been suspended if that was the only sample that testing positive? I doubt it.
It's not a favour you do to Kasheskin by comparing with Hamilton's twin

anubisza said:

The UCI does not exactly apply the same rules to all riders, so you cannot compare how one one rider is treated with how another rider is treated. It is like a banana republic. The rules are less important than who you know or how valuable you currently are to the ruler.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The UCI does not exactly apply the same rules to all riders, so you cannot compare how one one rider is treated with how another rider is treated. It is like a banana republic. The rules are less important than who you know or how valuable you currently are to the ruler.
You're right, and it's ridiculous. Perhaps power should be taken away from the National Federations, who all seem to vary in opinion, and power should be centralised.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Kash is not worse or better than any from the list: Uli, Eras, Botero, Mancebo, Basso... Nobody from that generation has cheated each other, they just leaved by the rules of that time. So - I don't think that Vino or Kash have to be punished more severely than Basso as example (Sella - 1 year ban, Ricco - 20 months, they are better and cleaner?!)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

That's a good analogy.

I had literally forgotten what it meant and thought you were referring to the clothing chain! :D

My initial thought was "what does the UCI and bland non-gender specific chinos have in common?"