• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Keep the winnings?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should the rider caught doping keep the race winnings.

• Yes, should keep them all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Why not establish a reasonable period of time for all testing to clear before handing out any monetary awards?...
That's where I am. Once a pre-defined time has passed (should be before the next event) it is a done deal. The rider's brand will of course suffer if found cheating, but the official results need to stand as they do in soccer/football.

Red Rick said:
Damian13ster, why give titles away for getting second? They didn't win, they didn't beat everybody. You can't prove you're clean, and the people that got awarded the titles were just very dodgy at best. Schleck's own brother (the one he's so close with) got away with a payment to Fuentes and later got banned for a year for a positive in the Tour.

Scarponi was already a convicted doper. Lets give him the title, he's such a saint.

You don't promote clean racing, you just promote not getting caught. I'm not gonna go out on a limb when I say I think that every rider who podium'ed a GT this century was doping. Only case I trust a little is probably Thomas de Gendt

Do you know how the law works? Innocent until proven guilty rings a bell?
They beat everybody that wasn't guilty of doping. That deserves a win in the race.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
gustienordic said:
This probably isn't going to go over well with most clinic goers, but I've come to the conclusion that giving someone else the race title is useless (at least in any year from 1990-2015) because there is a high chance that the rest of the podium was doping as well.

You need to spend more time in The Clinic. :p

Most here would agree with your assessment.

gustienordic said:
This probably isn't going to go over well with most clinic goers, but I've come to the conclusion that giving someone else the race title is useless (at least in any year from 1990-2015) because there is a high chance that the rest of the podium was doping as well.

Doping punishments should be more severe, but not retroactive. Ban a rider for 4 years, but don't take away his trophy/cash because he probably wasn't the only one all doped up.

And let the criticism flow :eek:

Why stop as early as 1990, did no one dope before that?

You have plenty of supporters, but that doesn't make it a good idea, because you are basically saying to riders why bother trying to ride clean as even if you get cheated, the cheater gets caught then you want get any rewards anyway, you might as well dope. Which is totally the wrong message to send even if the award goes to another doper.

I can't help think that the only reason some agree with you is because a disqualification effected their favourite rider:eek:

del1962 said:
Why stop as early as 1990, did no one dope before that?

You have plenty of supporters, but that doesn't make it a good idea, because you are basically saying to riders why bother trying to ride clean as even if you get cheated, the cheater gets caught then you want get any rewards anyway, you might as well dope. Which is totally the wrong message to send even if the award goes to another doper.

I can't help think that the only reason some agree with you is because a disqualification effected their favourite rider:eek:

This is true unless they get caught in the middle of their career. 4 years without your job is a pretty long time. Isn't that going to stop someone as much as taking away their trophy/cash prize?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Damian13ster, why give titles away for getting second? They didn't win, they didn't beat everybody. You can't prove you're clean, and the people that got awarded the titles were just very dodgy at best. Schleck's own brother (the one he's so close with) got away with a payment to Fuentes and later got banned for a year for a positive in the Tour.

Scarponi was already a convicted doper. Lets give him the title, he's such a saint.

You don't promote clean racing, you just promote not getting caught. I'm not gonna go out on a limb when I say I think that every rider who podium'ed a GT this century was doping. Only case I trust a little is probably Thomas de Gendt

No one can prove they are clean. Ergo don't give out any titles, prizes or money in the first place. Or just hand it to whoever is the highest placed athlete not yet caught.

TRENDING THREADS