• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kenny Williams

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Kenny Williams was busted by USADA for taking DHEA and, to his credit, admitted to taking it for performance gains. This is the same substance Tyler Hamilton was busted for, but Tyler claimed he took it unintentionally because it was an ingredient in an over the counter antidepressant.

So, coincidence, or another BS excuse by Tyler?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Kenny Williams was busted by USADA for taking DHEA and, to his credit, admitted to taking it for performance gains. This is the same substance Tyler Hamilton was busted for, but Tyler claimed he took it unintentionally because it was an ingredient in an over the counter antidepressant.

So, coincidence, or another BS excuse by Tyler?

Tyler said he knew what he was taking was on the banned list, but took it anyway.

Kenny has been around the sport for years. Does anybody really believe this was the only time he doped and this was the only thing he was taking?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I take it for health/anti-ageing purposes and it makes me feel good mentally but it won't do a thing to help your recovery or performance in cycling or any other sport for certain, anyone who thinks otherwise is misled. I only suppliment with it as I have very low levels naturally and just 25mg oral daily brought levels up several times baseline helping depression significantly.

Although DHEA does have the possibility to convert to testosterone in reality it does not do so very much if at all in males, at least when taken orally. I have only seen one study to suggest that it can convert to testosterone in males and that was with transdermal administration and in very large doses. Unfortunately with these doses estradiol was very high (going by memory) which is not ideal for men.

Now of course there more than a small chance that Kenny was taking a little more than just DHEA. If it was just DHEA he was taking then he was unfortunate to get caught for something that won't work.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Tyler said he knew what he was taking was on the banned list, but took it anyway.

Kenny has been around the sport for years. Does anybody really believe this was the only time he doped and this was the only thing he was taking?

I do. But then, I believe Johan Museeuw only doped during the last year of his career, too. And that Boonen just has a drinking problem. And that Basso was only thinking about doping. And that Rasmus Damsgard is infallible.

In other words, I'm a believer.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Local consensus is, no. Having said that; whatever else he might have taken didn't enhance is overall ability to any great degree; he was beatable. The fact that he took anything emphasizes the pressure athletes can put on themselves when they lose sight of the bigger life picture. This wasn't about a big payday.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This guy is an idiot. Testing positive at master nats? His wife tested positive for the stimulant ephedra at (wait for it) master nationals around 2000-2001 time frame. And, if he's following his sport, he should know testers are looking for DHEA: Hamilton tested positive for it earlier this year. Hamilton. A guy who knows his way around a doping cycle. Keep that in mind.

DHEA isn't the drug Williams used to increase his performance. Hamilton either. It's only the one they got caught for. DHEA is most commonly used as a bridge between or immediately following a testosterone-/steroid-doping cycle when the body's ability to produce natural testosterone is depressed. When you see athletes testing positive for DHEA, androstendione, clomid, novadex and HCG they're bridging between cycles. This isn't Williams first rodeo. Google "post cycle therapy" or PCT.

Someone on the OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) listserv stated that they could at least understand if he were racing as a professional. Williams did race professionally for but only a brief period in the early 90s. It seemed he could have raced pro but instead built a name for himself around the Northwest (States) for the past 20 years by beating up on whoever was left behind and, in the spirit of being a total pig, cherry picking the masters races too.

During that time he built a lucrative (relative to his previous job of sleeping on his girl friend's couch) coaching business. A lot of people suspected Williams of doping since he shied away from UCI races (Sea Otter, Redlands, etc.) where testing happened. If the guy wasn't such a jackass people might be willing to cut him some slack, but as it stands, there are so many who he beat and flipped off as being inferior that those people will come out of the woodwork on forums, listservs, blogs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Cash Register

Amen, HelmutRoole.

"beating up on whoever was left behind and, in the spirit of being a total pig, cherry picking the masters races too."

That's why everyone in the Northwest calls him Kenny The Cash Register Williams.

The only reason he started even faking nice to people in the last few years is that he realized he could make money of them through coaching.

I wonder how many years ago he wrote that apology.

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
A couple of years back at Raod Nat.s you could have heard a pin drop at the starting line when they said they'd be testing the top five finishers.....I think it was the only 40+ race I've done that didn't go from the gun......and all the fav's sat in the back and did nothing....

Doping in masters? O.....I'd say you bet and more then you'd think!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
give him his dues, he was a mean cyclist for a basketballer

baseball, too. Man, the guy gets around. Drugs don't help you hit a curveball, I guess:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Williams_(baseball)

For the record, he was never a 'Pro'. That's why he was able to race masters nationals right after he was a 'Pro'. He never pulled a pro license, or so his teammates said.

Personally, I find it odd that there's less outrage at an amateur getting busted on this forum. Not to get all 'self-defensive pro guy', but as a pro who's probably been accused of doping on this very forum, I think it's funny you guys aren't tearing into this more. Is it easier when it's some guy you see in magazines but don't have to line up with? Is it harder to condemn one of your own, or do people just not care? serious question.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Nope, just the only thing he was caught for.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Local consensus is, no. Having said that; whatever else he might have taken didn't enhance is overall ability to any great degree; he was beatable. The fact that he took anything emphasizes the pressure athletes can put on themselves when they lose sight of the bigger life picture. This wasn't about a big payday.

How do you know it didn't enhance his ability to any great degree? There are plenty of people out there that won't win even if they dope.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
baseball, too. Man, the guy gets around. Drugs don't help you hit a curveball, I guess:

For the record, he was never a 'Pro'. That's why he was able to race masters nationals right after he was a 'Pro'. He never pulled a pro license, or so his teammates said.

Personally, I find it odd that there's less outrage at an amateur getting busted on this forum. Not to get all 'self-defensive pro guy', but as a pro who's probably been accused of doping on this very forum, I think it's funny you guys aren't tearing into this more. Is it easier when it's some guy you see in magazines but don't have to line up with? Is it harder to condemn one of your own, or do people just not care? serious question.

I agree with you, at least I can understand the pressure to dope in the Pro ranks when others definitely are and so much more is at stake. I've said it before on this forum Masters doping is just sad. I think most would be shocked if they realized the extent to which it exists in the Masters fields.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:

I remember some months ago some threads on doping in the US scene - and some posters mentioning suspicious activity at masters level.
Unfortunately their observations were correct.

For me - I have no idea who this guy is (I even checked to see if he was a basketballer!) - but I am interested in what would motivate someone in the masters to dope (or continue doping). Is there much financial incentive, a lack of controls, ego or dumb pride?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can ride but you can't hide!

The masters UCI track Worlds were recently held in Sydney Australia.Many competitors in the 40-45 year age category have been talking up this Country Singing 'Johnson' for the last 3 years or so, saying he was the best and we should all fear his Ability.
Mysteriously he rocked up in 2008 and floated around the UCI champs and pulled out of every event also.Does that say something NOW!.
The gossip went around again putting fear into everyone about how he was going to take laps in the points race and set a world record on the pursuit in 2009.
Many competitors wanted to smash him in the races and send him back Home with his tail between his legs.His time at the US nationals indicated he was 'On good form' before the 2009 worlds.
Then only days into the World Masters Games ( road and track) held for 8 days prior to the worlds the word on the street went around that he 'Rolled his ankle' when he arrived in Sydney for the WMG and Worlds.
Can you believe that!
What a Down right two bit Lying cheat he is!
To turn up and spread that Bulls#%T rumor around indicates one thing to me.

CHEAT!

I saw the 'Johnson' warming up one day on the criterium track.Didn't look like a ******ed ankle to me.
Now we all Know the Truth Now!

What ****es me off the most is I still didn't get to smash the Snake in the races.
I hope his passport is revoked next time he decides to come to Australia.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I remember some months ago some threads on doping in the US scene - and some posters mentioning suspicious activity at masters level.
Unfortunately their observations were correct.

For me - I have no idea who this guy is (I even checked to see if he was a basketballer!) - but I am interested in what would motivate someone in the masters to dope (or continue doping). Is there much financial incentive, a lack of controls, ego or dumb pride?

He is a well known elite Master but the only people who follow Master racers are the Masters themselves. Very little financial incentive so you can probably pick a couple of the seven deadly sins but in general I'll go with the need to satisfy a huge ego.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
350Watts said:
He is a well known elite Master but the only people who follow Master racers are the Masters themselves. Very little financial incentive so you can probably pick a couple of the seven deadly sins but in general I'll go with the need to satisfy a huge ego.

...or fragile self image. He started out as a cyclist late and was capable of winning before he was aware of PED's. He was beatable then and now by quality riders; including Masters. Al Kader's extreme reaction is borne out of probably justifiable frustration, I don't know. I do know he can be beaten, straight up.
Hopefully he will serve his time and get things in perspective.
His situation is not unique and part of the situation I've noted on earlier forums regarding Master's racing (See Dr. Mas comments). I see them all the time: the 'roided wannabes and the former iconic pros many of you may hold in reverence. I won't name names or give details because it would only precipitate the same vitriol and counter arguments.

Why these guys do this when they are just living out childhood fantasies is beyond me. It only casts more light on the various motivations for pros and their PED use. It is inexcusable and a another good reason to continue rational discussion about training, psychology and the motivation to compete on these forums.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
mitchman said:
A couple of years back at Raod Nat.s you could have heard a pin drop at the starting line when they said they'd be testing the top five finishers.....I think it was the only 40+ race I've done that didn't go from the gun......and all the fav's sat in the back and did nothing....

Doping in masters? O.....I'd say you bet and more then you'd think!

I know of a guy who is from Austria and is in his mid-70's, but every summer he spends time in Austria and he races (which he still does here) and started winning quite a lot and was later pulled up for doping about 4 years ago.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
If you think it is bad here your should see the Grand Fondo scene in Italy. Zero testing. Hundreds of guys in their 50's that were ex Pros, live with their mother ,ride 25 hours a week, and climb like goats.

A few years ago at the Maratona the police did a raid on a few hotel rooms and found a mobile Pharmacy. Some of the 55 year old riders in the room fled by jumping out the window.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
If you think it is bad here your should see the Grand Fondo scene in Italy. Zero testing. Hundreds of guys in their 50's that were ex Pros, live with their mother ,ride 25 hours a week, and climb like goats.

A few years ago at the Maratona the police did a raid on a few hotel rooms and found a mobile Pharmacy. Some of the 55 year old riders in the room fled by jumping out the window.

Wow, I'm pretty jaded but that is shocking to me. I don't think that for the most part the US Masters scene is that sophisticated, more like the early 90's Pro scene (EPO and assorted other substances that are easily detectable now), what do you think?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
350Watts said:
Wow, I'm pretty jaded but that is shocking to me. I don't think that for the most part the US Masters scene is that sophisticated, more like the early 90's Pro scene (EPO and assorted other substances that are easily detectable now), what do you think?

I think it depends where you are. Southern California is notorious. No testing, lots of former pros, "Longevity" doctors that will give anyone over 40 a prescription for HGH and Test. Add in a bunch of rich dudes who are new to the sport and will do anything their "Coach" tells them, want to be like their hero, and you have a toxic mix.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:

Well, for myself, I'm annoyed about it, but not necessarily outraged. For me it's a matter of impact. I am most "outraged" about someone like Lance Armstrong doping because -- well, for starters because he's gotten away with it, and has profited enormously off of it, and has created this whole universal myth around his person that I actually find quite dangerous -- particularly if/when the guy goes into politics. But so many people see Lance as the pinnacle of achievement. Kenny Williams's impact, meanwhile, is minimal, especially regarded against Armstrong or Boonen or Basso. How many people wanna be like Kenny vs wanna be like Lance?

Obviously, in terms of the actual cheating, I think if I were from his area I'd be angrier about it -- because I'd personally know the guys he was stealing those wins from. Multiple sources have told me that a certain anger-management-challenged racer around my 'hood is on the sauce; for the life of me I can't figure out why nobody tips the authorities. Maybe the authorities have no authority. Maybe they don't have the resources to go after a local low-grade pro. Maybe nobody cares enough -- but the guy does win somewhat regularly, and some of the better-regarded races around here. And every time he does, I think, Why doesn't somebody bust this dude?

(Though after he had a non-doping-related "incident" a while back, I noticed his results have sunk somewhat. Maybe he's on a watch list now?)

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I saw Kenny race quite a bit in Seattle when I lived and raced out there. He was definitely one of the best local guys 94-97 or so.

I believe he raced bmx as kid and started road racing late.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
psychlist said:
I saw Kenny race quite a bit in Seattle when I lived and raced out there. He was definitely one of the best local guys 94-97 or so.

I believe he raced bmx as kid and started road racing late.

In-line skating.

Race Radio said:
I think it depends where you are. Southern California is notorious. No testing, lots of former pros, "Longevity" doctors that will give anyone over 40 a prescription for HGH and Test. Add in a bunch of rich dudes who are new to the sport and will do anything their "Coach" tells them, want to be like their hero, and you have a toxic mix.

you cannot win on water. it's f---ing laughable how much stuff these guys use. it makes kicking their *** even more pleasant when you do win.

TRENDING THREADS