• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kids on podiums

What's with all the kids on cycling podiums these days?

Every rider that has a child, brings his kid on the podium when they win a big race. Why is that? It makes many avkward photos and other logostical problems. Looks wierd and just doesn't belong anyway.

You don't see that in any other sport.

Is it some sort of "look, I'm on the podium and i can make kids too" kind of a thing?

What's with all the kids on cycling podiums these days?

Every rider that has a child, brings his kid on the podium when they win a big race. Why is that? It makes many avkward photos and other logostical problems. Looks wierd and just doesn't belong anyway.

You don't see that in any other sport.

Is it some sort of "look, I'm on the podium and i can make kids too" kind of a thing?

Honestly I feel a bit like that, too. I mean, everyone says "oh how cute", and of course it's always cute, the two year olds with their way to big jerseys, but yeah, I always get some weird showing off vibes, too. Often also when they immediately kiss their girlfriends. Of course it's nice to have the family there, but it's also a bit like "trophy girlfriend", "trophy kid". :confused: Don't know, doesn't bother me immensely, but now that you said it I had to admit I feel it, too. ;)
In football at least it's increasingly common, too, though.

lol.

this all started in 1989 with lemond.

lemond's son, Geoff, had only just woken up and was asking for his dad right after the final ITT in Paris. lemond told the TDF director at the time that he would not attend the podium ceremony unless his family was allowed to be there (as they had been such a support the last two years during his difficulties coming back from the hunting accident).

the head of Z (a children's apparel company) saw this and thought "huh, not a bad image". guess who lemond signed with after that...?

lemond was a groundbreaker in so many respects. one of them was riders being allowed to see their loved ones during a GT, which had until then been considered verboten. it helped to bring humanity to what had been a traditionally and unnecessarily closed-off sport.

not exactly sure what the issue is here.

(don't freakin' football players parade in holding hands with kids that aren't even theirs...? if you want to go crazy and think something is weird, maybe you should take it up with FIFA).

It's super cringe.
And kids shouldn't be shown worldwide. Nowadays the public image of a person is created even before they can decide whether they want a public image or not. It's a bit like sharenting, when parents keep posting pictures and videos of their children on social networks without their consent and by the time they turn 18 there's an insane amount of content showing their growth, mostly awkward stuff.

In 15 years time this young woman might be like: "yeah I don't want people to search me on Google and find out I'm Jonas Vingegaard's daughter" (for whatever reason). But she will likely not be able to do anything about it.

To be fair, it was the first time, Vinges kid saw the podium. Roglič's son was on it like million times already.

Vingegaard's daughter was on the podium last year as well.

In 15 years time this young woman might be like: "yeah I don't want people to search me on Google and find out I'm Jonas Vingegaard's daughter" (for whatever reason). But she will likely not be able to do anything about it.

Wouldn't people need to know that 'Vingegaard' - presumably - is part of her name in order to do that? And if she goes by 'Vingegaard', I have a feeling people will know anyway, especially if she - as doesn't seem unlikely - ends up growing up, and going to school, in the area where they currently live; 'Vingegaard' isn't exactly a common name.
Otoh, it's possible that 'Rasmussen' or 'Hansen' - her mother's surname - is part of her name as well (we don't know exactly), and she could just either of those. Those are very common names.

Reactions: FrontHeadlock
lol.

this all started in 1989 with lemond.

lemond's son, Geoff, had only just woken up and was asking for his dad right after the final ITT in Paris. lemond told the TDF director at the time that he would not attend the podium ceremony unless his family was allowed to be there (as they had been such a support the last two years during his difficulties coming back from the hunting accident).

the head of Z (a children's apparel company) saw this and thought "huh, not a bad image". guess who lemond signed with after that...?

lemond was a groundbreaker in so many respects. one of them was riders being allowed to see their loved ones during a GT, which had until then been considered verboten. it helped to bring humanity to what had been a traditionally and unnecessarily closed-off sport.

not exactly sure what the issue is here.

(don't freakin' football players parade in holding hands with kids that aren't even theirs...? if you want to go crazy and think something is weird, maybe you should take it up with FIFA).
Well many athletes have famillies that support them and kids. Still you don't see the kids breaking celebration protocols, running around the podiums or making problems excepting awards, taking media photos etc. Cycling is the only sport i can think of where all this happens all the time.

You are a pro athlete on top of your game. And you need a family hug after a stage, kid on a podium or the world will crumble? Please. It was also super ceinge when Jonas wins a stage, hops on a cooling bike and is already on the phone with his girlfriend. So when Pogačar and others come to congratulate him after an epic stage, he turns his legs, talking to his girlfriend and has no interest to exchange a word or two with other guys. It's vierd and it's becoming disrespectful also.
And it happened every time. What does he need to explain her after every stage?

Soon guys will be bringing whole famillies in this, even granny will have to climb the podium since she always believed they'll make it.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Well many athletes have famillies that support them and kids. Still you don't see the kids breaking celebration protocols, running around the podiums or making problems excepting awards, taking media photos etc. Cycling is the only sport i can think of where all this happens all the time.

You are a pro athlete on top of your game. And you need a family hug after a stage, kid on a podium or the world will crumble? Please. It was also super ceinge when Jonas wins a stage, hops on a cooling bike and is already on the phone with his girlfriend. So when Pogačar and others come to congratulate him after an epic stage, he turns his legs, talking to his girlfriend and has no interest to exchange a word or two with other guys. It's vierd and it's becoming disrespectful also.
And it happened every time. What does he need to explain her after every stage?

Soon guys will be bringing whole famillies in this, even granny will have to climb the podium since she always believed they'll make it.
If that what Vingegaard wants to do after the stage then that’s up to him, why should he change his routine to suit you?

Finally someone brought that up. It doesn't bother me as an intrusion into these kids' privacy (which it is) but more than that - it's just lame. I can understand parents are proud but they need to understand other people are not as enthusiastic about their kids as they are.

Plus it makes guys wihtout kids look emtpy-handed. If I was Pogi, next year I'm bring a half-naked lap dancer to the podium :)

Finally someone brought that up. It doesn't bother me as an intrusion into these kids' privacy (which it is) but more than that - it's just lame. I can understand parents are proud but they need to understand other people are not as enthusiastic about their kids as they are.

Plus it makes guys without kids look emtpy-handed. If I was Pogi, next year I'm bring a half-naked lap dancer to the podium :)

So empty handed that they look up for storks

26cd48c0f2160ef4d793afa1ed544256

While I enjoy watching it I also think it's really cringe.

I think mostly it feels so hypocritical. First generally family is foresaken to have this career and then on top of it they need to show off like some trophy. It's just so much to muster.

I'd say if they're as invested as Trine Hansen seems to be, already being in the sport and meeting Jonas then it's less cringe. (I have a hard time deciding who of them are working for whom since I learned more of the back story).

(But also how weird does it look when the rider himself looks or acts like a kid and has a kid of his own? (Yeah I'm looking at you Wout and Jonas :tearsofjoy:)

But mostly I don't get the idea of getting a kid and being away from it so much. I feel sorry for the kid to grow up with such a parent with such weird priorities.

(Lemme find an interview of such a cycling kid and I'll show what I mean.)

But mostly I don't get the idea of getting a kid and being away from it so much. I feel sorry for the kid to grow up with such a parent with such weird priorities.
The kid also has a mother (who would have the financial support to spend more time with the kid than most if she so wishes). Do you also feel sorry for all kids with only one parent? I think these kids have a far better deal than most, if their parents stay together.

Reactions: Red Rick and noob

TRENDING THREADS