• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kittel: "Armstrong is a dumb swine"

Kittel, Martin and Degenkolb do a PR stunt in Germany's biggest and most important (yes, it's true) daily newspaper: The "we are clean" oath.

The guy on the left is anchor man of Germany's oldest and most important news broadcast (it's true again) and cat 3 amateur racer.

They ask Ullrich to tell the whole truth. Kittel is calling Armstrong a dumbass ("dummes Schwein").

Mr.38&#37 said:
Kittel, Martin and Degenkolb do a PR stunt in Germany's biggest and most important (yes, it's true) daily newspaper: The "we are clean" oath.

The guy on the left is anchor man of Germany's oldest and most important news broadcast (it's true again) and cat 3 amateur racer.

They ask Ullrich to tell the whole truth. Kittel is calling Armstrong a dumbass ("dummes Schwein").

He was recently elected as the president of the cycling federation of Hamburg, too.

Tony is sqeaky clean. Guaranteed from someone who performance-tested him for many years. Like John, he is police officer. Any doping offense would probably not just cost them their career but also their pension provisions.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Mr.38% said:
Tony is sqeaky clean. Guaranteed from someone who performance-tested him for many years. Like John, he is police officer. Any doping offense would probably not just cost them their career but also their pension provisions.

Coyle guaranteed Armstrong was clean too...

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Kittel says (in the video) that he sometimes has suspicions about other riders, but nothing definite (and he won't say who). In the article he is quoted as saying that he would definitely report someone if he saw them doping 'with my own eyes'.

Is this omerta weakening or more of the same?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
The idea thst Martin is clean throws off my whole sense of 'how far you csn go in the WT clean'. Not saying he isn't - at least he can't climb THAT well.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Kittel really shouldn't have played with his blood if he was going to go all in with the 'look at me I'm clean!' approach.

mattghg said:
Kittel says (in the video) that he sometimes has suspicions about other riders, but nothing definite (and he won't say who). In the article he is quoted as saying that he would definitely report someone if he saw them doping 'with my own eyes'.

Is this omerta weakening or more of the same?

Danish rider Andre Steensen said something similar the other day as well. That was in response to Rolf Sorensen belated confession.

To me a statement like that has considerable weight - not often you hear it from an active rider!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mr.38&#37 said:

You think? You must have missed the "Contador's Head" thread. This lovely piece popped up. I take it you've heard of HGH? Image is courtesy of happychappy who found this.

uMRbr.jpg

Gotta go with Netserk. Degenkolb I buy. Kittel and Martin? Yeah that's a negative. Especially Martin. Just looking at the images on the link from the OP...his head just looks abnormal next to Kittel and Degenkolb. Head is too big for his body. Someone please tell me that is normal in Germany? Anyone? German breeding does that to you naturally? Cause I don't think it does.

2,w=583,c=0,view=.bild.jpeg

Yeah, you have never been to Germany obviously. Martin definately looks German but not unusual. But don't let anything come in the way of your theories.

I was also waiting for the Kittel blood doping story. That has been cleared up so many times in this board it is not funny anymore.

Not that I like the guy, but referring to that story again and again just detoriates the value of the clinic.

That settles it, Martin is the most talented and accomplished rider of the past 2 decades.
I wish I could buy it. And wonder why other are ready to swear the same he does. What to base that trust on? The Cancellara killer? Not normal. Or are we too cynical?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Or are we too cynical?

I think some are, I'm not naive either but you got to encourage positieve change too, it hardly happens here, on the contrary it gets smashed, what good can come from that.

Image your clean and every day you get told your a cheater, what does it matter if u eventually start cheating then? Too much cynism doesn't help either ..

For these guys, it doesn't guarantee anything, it's just one of those positieve changes in a long chain of changes.

Cloxxki said:
That settles it, Martin is the most talented and accomplished rider of the past 2 decades.
I wish I could buy it. And wonder why other are ready to swear the same he does. What to base that trust on? The Cancellara killer? Not normal. Or are we too cynical?

Even Race Radio, someone held in extremely high regard here, came here a month or so ago saying that currently doping is much less common than some of the clinic think.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
wannab said:
I think some are, I'm not naive either but you got to encourage positieve change too, it hardly happens here, on the contrary it gets smashed, what good can come from that.

Image your clean and every day you get told your a cheater, what does it matter if u eventually start cheating then? Too much cynism doesn't help either ..

For these guys, it doesn't guarantee anything, it's just one of those positieve changes in a long chain of changes.

I don't see how this is a positive change. I see them on a photo signing some stupid piece of paper. What are the consequences if they are caught doping, will their balls get cut off? This is just meaningless propaganda which we have seen before; "What am I on?".

Benito said:
I don't see how this is a positive change. I see them on a photo signing some stupid piece of paper. What are the consequences if they are caught doping, will their balls get cut off? This is just meaningless propaganda which we have seen before; "What am I on?".

I don't know where you are from but in Germany this definitely does mean something. They will be crucified by the German public opinion and tabloids if they have found to dabble in PED's after publicly and unequivocally swearing they have not done so. Just ask Ullrich whether being hounded by the German press is something to laugh about. Germans can be utterly unforgiving when it comes to things like this.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Benito said:

Did Armstrong ever publicly sign something like that together with colleague riders and calling dopers stupid f*cks? It has more meaning that "What am i on?" which was far easier than something like this.

So yes, you could be overly cynic about it and not see the value of it.

Also, the consequences aren't as dramatic as you point, but they're there non te less. If you take a standpoint like that and get caught eventually you'll fall much harder from grace, Armstrong is exactly the example of that.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
GJB123 said:
I don't know where you are from but in Germany this definitely does mean something. They will be crucified by the German public opinion and tabloids if they have found to dabble in PED's after publicly and unequivocally swearing they have not done so. Just ask Ullrich whether being hounded by the German press is something to laugh about. Germans can be utterly unforgiving when it comes to things like this.

I've just looked on facebook, 30,421 people like Jan Ullrich. Talk about unforgiving.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Benito said:
I've just looked on facebook, 30,421 people like Jan Ullrich. Talk about unforgiving.

...From a population of 82 million - and how many of those "likes" are from Germany? For a (recently) national sporting icon, he ain't scoring so well......:eek:

TRENDING THREADS