• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kittel

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kittel is going to Quickstep...great move for him. Quickstep depends on many foreign riders. It seems Lotto is more Nationalistic.

Andre.J said:
Kittel is going to Quickstep...great move for him. Quickstep depends on many foreign riders. It seems Lotto is more Nationalistic.
That's a hell of a deal for Etixx. Get rid of an over the hill Cavendish and bring in a much faster guy - who is probably on a smaller salary as well.

From Kittel's point of view, I'd be hoping they would bring in one or two more strong lead out men.

Re:

Afrank said:
Cav says buh bye so Lefévère says I'll just replace you with the faster guy. Well played. :cool:
It could work out like that. On the other hand Kittel has 2 wins this year and obviously some issues. He's faster if they can get him into shape. Another potential problem for Kittel is if this trend of GT "flat" stages not being all that flat continues

Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Andre.J said:
I believe they have a pretty strong lead out train as it is.
But not Giant Style. They had perfected the sprint train exclusively for their sprinters

Yes, a more compact machine, not just a bunch of good riders with own personal ambitions. Btw, are they going to abandon this sprinting focus altogether? Since Mezgec is also gone, and Degenkolb's focus shifting - thankfully - towards the classics.

I wonder if Giant are regretting their big Germanification this season since half their star Germans are left and recently Degenkolb is being overshadowed by Dumoulin.

Looking forward to next season's big sprints. Kristoff, Kittel, Degenkolb, Cavendish, Greipel, Sagan, Matthews, Demare and Bouhanni all on different teams and mostly with their own trains. I'd add Viviani but Froome/track mean he should have a pretty limited 2016 and surely no Tour.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Nice gesture of faith in Gaviria. Kittel is comletely useless in many stages where Cav could still win, and I think he easily gets lost without a train

Cav may have been able to win them more stages in the Tour of California or Tour of Turkey. But he can't win 3 or 4 stages in the TdF nowdays; whereas Kittel can. And for a big team like Etixx without a real GC rider, it's pretty important to be able to stamp their authority on the biggest race somehow.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Nice gesture of faith in Gaviria. Kittel is comletely useless in many stages where Cav could still win, and I think he easily gets lost without a train

Gaviria just turned 21 and still has a lot to learn. Why not from Kittel? I don't think he will take too many races away from the youngster in 2016.

I don't see Kittel winning 4 stages consistently, and I think the Etixx train will be worse than the Giant Train was. I think it had more to do with attracting a Germand sponsor. I wonder how much cheaper than Cav Kittel he is, he was complete *** this year. Maybe they pay him the minimum + the hair products

gunara said:
IndianCyclist said:
Andre.J said:
I believe they have a pretty strong lead out train as it is.
But not Giant Style. They had perfected the sprint train exclusively for their sprinters

Yes, a more compact machine, not just a bunch of good riders with own personal ambitions. Btw, are they going to abandon this sprinting focus altogether? Since Mezgec is also gone, and Degenkolb's focus shifting - thankfully - towards the classics.
i think towards climbing with Barguil & Dumoulin

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Akuryo said:
Red Rick said:

Gaviria just turned 21 and still has a lot to learn. Why not from Kittel? I don't think he will take too many races away from the youngster in 2016.

I see this as a two pronged attack with kittel and Gaviria. Gaviria for those races which Cav could still win, which might not be suited to kittel.

I don't really wish Giant to suddenly forget big time sprints. Glad they find more dimensions now, but I still hope they also find some direct use of that ready leadout machine, and someone good at the end of it, to show Kittel what he's missing.

jojogogo said:
Akuryo said:
Red Rick said:

I see this as a two pronged attack with kittel and Gaviria. Gaviria for those races which Cav could still win, which might not be suited to kittel.

Gaviria will continue to focus on the track for another year, from the Worlds in March through to the Olympics in August, so I'm sure he's fine with Kittel coming. Anyhow, as said already, he's only just turned 21 so has plenty of time to get plenty faster.

TRENDING THREADS