• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

L.A. Confidential

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
tobsie said:
Hey guys

Do you know where I can find a translated copy of the book - the english version?

The book From Lance to Landis is the English version of LA Confidential. It also has more to it as it was written a couple of years after.

Here is a link to Amazon.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Thank you

I'll go ahead and order From Lance to Landis, but if someome inhere has the translated copy of Confidential, send a PM.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have read L.A. Confidentiel (softcover) some years ago. I also purchased From Lance To Landis. Now I must say the latter doesn't come close to being the firstmentioned in a translated version. It is however a fact that Walsh/Ballestre quite often use parts of their books in following publications. I just finished "Le Sale Tour, le Système Armstrong" (I read it in Dutch, my mother tongue) and in this recent book, there are also rechewed chapters from earlier Walsh/Ballestre books. In this one however, they also shed some light on the so-called Livestrong charity, on the behind-the-scenes of Livestrong.com and its questionable operations. A must read for those interested in what is the real intention of Armstrong's comeback. (He aims at the Texan gosvernership as a short term goal while the eventual presidency of the US may be his ultimate ambition "Yes We Can (dope)"...
Because of a court ruling L.A. Confidentiel will probably never get an English translation. But I can wholeheartedly recommend following titles as more than valuable alternatives: Bad Blood - Jeffrey Whittle, Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage, Positiveley False - Floyd Landis, A Dog in a Hat - Joe Parkin, Breaking the Chain: Drugs and Cycling - The True Story by Willy Voet and William Fotheringham and for those with a bit of Dutch under their belt: Memoires van een wielerverzorger (Memories from a Soigneur) - Jef D'Hondt

Hope this has been helpful. Cheers from Flanders!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Also known as rehashed headpieces.

Joking aside, thanks for the summaries and the titles! Is Armstrong a democrat or a republican?

He is whatever suits him best at that particular moment. He reminds me of that Yogi Berra: "When he came to a fork in the road, he took it"!:)

Maneblusser25 said:
Hi everyone,

I have read L.A. Confidentiel (softcover) some years ago. I also purchased From Lance To Landis. Now I must say the latter doesn't come close to being the firstmentioned in a translated version. It is however a fact that Walsh/Ballestre quite often use parts of their books in following publications. I just finished "Le Sale Tour, le Système Armstrong" (I read it in Dutch, my mother tongue) and in this recent book, there are also rechewed chapters from earlier Walsh/Ballestre books. In this one however, they also shed some light on the so-called Livestrong charity, on the behind-the-scenes of Livestrong.com and its questionable operations. A must read for those interested in what is the real intention of Armstrong's comeback. (He aims at the Texan gosvernership as a short term goal while the eventual presidency of the US may be his ultimate ambition "Yes We Can (dope)"...
Because of a court ruling L.A. Confidentiel will probably never get an English translation. But I can wholeheartedly recommend following titles as more than valuable alternatives: Bad Blood - Jeffrey Whittle, Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage, Positiveley False - Floyd Landis, A Dog in a Hat - Joe Parkin, Breaking the Chain: Drugs and Cycling - The True Story by Willy Voet and William Fotheringham and for those with a bit of Dutch under their belt: Memoires van een wielerverzorger (Memories from a Soigneur) - Jef D'Hondt

Thank you!

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Maneblusser25 said:
Hi everyone,

Clearly. :rolleyes:

Jonathan said:
Joking aside, thanks for the summaries and the titles! Is Armstrong a democrat or a republican?
I just don't' see him running for President, or ever being elected. I can't even see him in Congress (House or Senate) or even Texas legislature where he would have to work with others who are much slimier and crooked than he is, and he would start at the bottom. Remember, most politicians are lawyers, and part of a club of back slappers and insiders helping their friends, and getting as many kickbacks, favors, and money as possible in return.

I can however see him running for an exec position, such as mayor. But Austin may not fit, as it's a college town, and mostly Democrat. And Lance is rich, lives an opulent lifestyle, and has no college degree. But if he bought another home nearby, in a smaller town, lived there some and got involved in some local issues, he could easily get elected. That could help him springboard to the governor's mansion, maybe.

As to what party. He'd probably make a better Republican, but he has some unsolved issues. Someone mentioned those could be resolved if he became a born-again Christian. That would cement him into the GOP firmly, and get a lot of ground support. The cancer issue is good with both parties, though the Republicans want to spend less on everything. And though bike riding often equals "green" and environmentally conscious, it's a fairly minor issue, and he could come in about as green as John McCain or The Governator, and do fine with the GOP on this issue.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I just don't' see him running for President, or ever being elected. I can't even see him in Congress (House or Senate) or even Texas legislature where he would have to work with others who are much slimier and crooked than he is, and he would start at the bottom. Remember, most politicians are lawyers, and part of a club of back slappers and insiders helping their friends, and getting as many kickbacks, favors, and money as possible in return.

I can however see him running for an exec position, such as mayor. But Austin may not fit, as it's a college town, and mostly Democrat. And Lance is rich, lives an opulent lifestyle, and has no college degree. But if he bought another home nearby, in a smaller town, lived there some and got involved in some local issues, he could easily get elected. That could help him springboard to the governor's mansion, maybe.

As to what party. He'd probably make a better Republican, but he has some unsolved issues. Someone mentioned those could be resolved if he became a born-again Christian. That would cement him into the GOP firmly, and get a lot of ground support. The cancer issue is good with both parties, though the Republicans want to spend less on everything. And though bike riding often equals "green" and environmentally conscious, it's a fairly minor issue, and he could come in about as green as John McCain or The Governator, and do fine with the GOP on this issue.

This analysis, acurate as it may be, makes the slimy underbelly of pro cycling seem strangely wholesome by comparison.

TRENDING THREADS